Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My E106 Health Care experience

My E106 Health Care experience

Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default My E106 Health Care experience

Thought I'd share this with you so that people who are leaving for Spain know exactly where they stand ... probably covered on here elsewhere, but it won't hurt to reiterate:

I'm moving to Spain in September full time. I'm 52, and my wife is 56. I appled to the Dept of Work and Pensions (Overseas Division for Medical Benefits on 0191 218 1999) for an E106 form to give me access to the Spanish State Health System for as long as possible.

The lady took all my details including our NI contributions for the last 3 years, (we have both paid in, my wife as employed, and me as self employed) to see if we were entitled to cover. It appears that we can both be covered under the State system until January 2008. Between January 2008 and August 2009 when my wife hits her pension age, we will have to take out Private Health Care. However when she applies for her pension she will become covered by the Spanish State system for the rest of her life by applying for an E121 at the same time as her pension. Interestingly, she can at that point also apply for a Dependent E121 form for me as well, and although I will not reach retirement age for another 9 years after her, I will then be covered under the State system also as a dependent.

You have to apply to the DWP for your pension and the E121's three months before your retirement age.

Hope this of interest

Cheers
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Amarilla will become famous soon enoughAmarilla will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My E106 Health Care experience

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
. Between January 2008 and August 2009 when my wife hits her pension age, we will have to take out Private Health Care.
You might find it advisable to take out the private cover 6 months before the E106 cover expires.

This is because many private health policies have a 6 month "waiting period" during which time anything that requires in patient care is excluded. This is obviously there to catch non declared pre-existing conditions.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 2:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd share this with you so that people who are leaving for Spain know exactly where they stand ... probably covered on here elsewhere, but it won't hurt to reiterate:

I'm moving to Spain in September full time. I'm 52, and my wife is 56. I appled to the Dept of Work and Pensions (Overseas Division for Medical Benefits on 0191 218 1999) for an E106 form to give me access to the Spanish State Health System for as long as possible.

The lady took all my details including our NI contributions for the last 3 years, (we have both paid in, my wife as employed, and me as self employed) to see if we were entitled to cover. It appears that we can both be covered under the State system until January 2008. Between January 2008 and August 2009 when my wife hits her pension age, we will have to take out Private Health Care. However when she applies for her pension she will become covered by the Spanish State system for the rest of her life by applying for an E121 at the same time as her pension. Interestingly, she can at that point also apply for a Dependent E121 form for me as well, and although I will not reach retirement age for another 9 years after her, I will then be covered under the State system also as a dependent.

You have to apply to the DWP for your pension and the E121's three months before your retirement age.

Hope this of interest

Cheers
Yes, when we came over here my wife got an E121, and we found that I was also covered as she was receiveing a pension in the UK. It's a quirk of the system, but very nice nevertheless.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Bopsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope this of interest

Cheers
Hi There. we are not currently living in the Uk, do you happen to know if we can pay the equivalent of what our Ni contributions would have been and then get cover in Spain?
Old Aug 19th 2006, 11:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bopsy
Hi There. we are not currently living in the Uk, do you happen to know if we can pay the equivalent of what our Ni contributions would have been and then get cover in Spain?

You would have to contact the number I gave you above as I know there are time limits. Voluntary NI I think runs at about £370 per year The E106 cover is essentially a temporary cover to help you when you first move to a foreign country, so if you have been living abroad for some years already then it may not be possible to do it retrospectively
Old Aug 20th 2006, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My E106 Health Care experience-re E121 also

Apparently according to the information i received on the phone last week from DEPT WORK PENSIONS NEWCASTLE TEL:-0191 218 1999 i can transfer ALL my healthcare to spain using form E121,i must apply for it 1 month before i leave the uk and hand it into relevant authorities e.g doctor/healthcare center when i arrive in spain,this becomes a permanent free health cover as you would ordinarily receive in the uk if you were a resident living there.

Obviously if you return back to the uk whilst covered fully in spain you will only get only free emergency treatment cover,so keeping registered with your uk doctor and using another persons address is tricky/possible?,maybe someone can throw some light onto this subject- as i'm sure we'd all like to keep out own doctor in the uk,but i suppose its you can't have your cake and eat it,but somehow a lot of people do just that?,how?,perhaps they do not go along the route of obtaining E121 and just take out private health cover in spain,comments?.
If you return back to the uk full time e.g sell up and move back lots do!-you re-inform newcastle and your healthcare reverts back to uk cover,thats nice!
Apparently paying national insurance contributions relates to your state pension entitlement when you retire and not health cover that is what i am told when i asked(i thought it was cover for both?),because i had been ill for a few years and unable to work i was concerned about the 2 years of not paying N.I contributions,they wrote me a letter each year saying i coud pay £357 short fall but it was not a letter of demand or legal nescessity.

paris
Old Aug 20th 2006, 12:59 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by paris hilton
Apparently according to the information i received on the phone last week from DEPT WORK PENSIONS NEWCASTLE TEL:-0191 218 1999 i can transfer ALL my healthcare to spain using form E121,i must apply for it 1 month before i leave the uk and hand it into relevant authorities e.g doctor/healthcare center when i arrive in spain,this becomes a permanent free health cover as you would ordinarily receive in the uk if you were a resident living there.

Obviously if you return back to the uk whilst covered fully in spain you will only get only free emergency treatment cover,so keeping registered with your uk doctor and using another persons address is tricky/possible?,maybe someone can throw some light onto this subject- as i'm sure we'd all like to keep out own doctor in the uk,but i suppose its you can't have your cake and eat it,but somehow a lot of people do just that?,how?,perhaps they do not go along the route of obtaining E121 and just take out private health cover in spain,comments?.
If you return back to the uk full time e.g sell up and move back lots do!-you re-inform newcastle and your healthcare reverts back to uk cover,thats nice!
Apparently paying national insurance contributions relates to your state pension entitlement when you retire and not health cover that is what i am told when i asked(i thought it was cover for both?),because i had been ill for a few years and unable to work i was concerned about the 2 years of not paying N.I contributions,they wrote me a letter each year saying i coud pay £357 short fall but it was not a letter of demand or legal nescessity.

paris

Paris, I'd speak to them again as there is clearly a misunderstanding somewhere. The E121 does indeed transfer the health care over, but only if you are of retirement age. If you are not of retirement age then it will not give you full permanent cover under the Spanish state system. Why do you think it is that so many discussions take place re taking out private health .

What I typed in my first post is exactly the proper situation, and its been verified from people living in Spain also.

The E106 is there to help people who move abroad, with the intention of getting a job, and the idea is that by the time the temporary cover runs out then they should be contributing to the Spanish system.

This site explains it plainly, and as you see the E121 relates to retired people

http://www.globalestates.co.uk/E121.htm

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Aug 20th 2006 at 1:06 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Paris, I'd speak to them again as there is clearly a misunderstanding somewhere. The E121 does indeed transfer the health care over, but only if you are of retirement age. If you are not of retirement age then it will not give you full permanent cover under the Spanish state system. Why do you think it is that so many discussions take place re taking out private health .

What I typed in my first post is exactly the proper situation, and its been verified from people living in Spain also.

The E106 is there to help people who move abroad, with the intention of getting a job, and the idea is that by the time the temporary cover runs out then they should be contributing to the Spanish system.

This site explains it plainly, and as you see the E121 relates to retired people

I know you are right about this but how come the people in Valencia can get cover exactly the same as Spanish born residents no matter what their age!
Old Aug 20th 2006, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Amarilla will become famous soon enoughAmarilla will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by glynis
I know you are right about this but how come the people in Valencia can get cover exactly the same as Spanish born residents no matter what their age!

Because the Valencian government chosse to do so.

Ours not to reason why!
Old Aug 20th 2006, 4:24 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by glynis
Well thats news to me ... and thats where I'm headed. I was always a bit confused by the fact that my house keeper says they have been using Spanish State cover ever since they got there ... maybe that explains it!
Old Aug 20th 2006, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute

Well obviously they did not know what they wre talking about cos they asked my age and N.I number-you are right thanks!-E106 is the way to go.

paris
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here (Valencia) 3 years now. We knew nothing of the E106 before we left the UK and we intended to take out private medical cover as neither my wife nor I are anywhere near retirement age! We didn't need to see a doctor for about 4 months when my wife discovered she was pregnant. We took our E111's to the local medical centre, they registered us there and then, and straight away gave my wife an appointment to see the midwife (who thankfully spoke English!). This can hardly be seen as an emergency!
But we were covered under the Spanish health system and have been for the last 2 and a half years. The SIP cards that were issued turned out to be temporary, but have been renewed when required using the EHIC available from DWP over the net.
Hope this helps!
Regards Tim
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by valenciatim
We have been here (Valencia) 3 years now. We knew nothing of the E106 before we left the UK and we intended to take out private medical cover as neither my wife nor I are anywhere near retirement age! We didn't need to see a doctor for about 4 months when my wife discovered she was pregnant. We took our E111's to the local medical centre, they registered us there and then, and straight away gave my wife an appointment to see the midwife (who thankfully spoke English!). This can hardly be seen as an emergency!
But we were covered under the Spanish health system and have been for the last 2 and a half years. The SIP cards that were issued turned out to be temporary, but have been renewed when required using the EHIC available from DWP over the net.
Hope this helps!
Regards Tim
thanks for the reply,i thought the ehic which i have is only for travellers to e.g spain/france or eec if you need tratment not for residents of spain?

paris

ps good if it works though
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:36 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by paris hilton
thanks for the reply,i thought the ehic which i have is only for travellers to e.g spain/france or eec if you need tratment not for residents of spain?

paris

ps good if it works though
Its only usually for British residents travelling abroad and loses validity when you become a foreign resident ... there seems to be an anomaly in Valencia!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Its only usually for British residents travelling abroad and loses validity when you become a foreign resident ... there seems to be an anomaly in Valencia!

thats a breath of fresh air as previous poster said they had been out in spain for 4 years and used their EHIC card after 4 months for his missus because she was pregnant?

paris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.