My day out

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default My day out

Hi folks!

Thought some of you might be interested in my little "adventure" today?
I went out at 8 am, with 30 or so OAPs from the village, on a coach trip!
I didn't really know where we were going, or what we were going to do; just that we were going to a particular town about an hour's drive away.
I've been asked several times to join them, but there's always been a reason why I haven't been able to - so this time I thought I'd just go for it.

I was a little perturbed when the organiser came round the other day, with my seat number for the coach............and informed me who I would be sitting with!
As it turned out, her seating plan went a bit awry first thing this morning - so guess who ended up sitting next to "The Organiser of the Year!?" Yep, yours truly!

Despite the fact that I was the youngest by about 25 years, it was me that needed a little doze All the "oldies" were in fine voice at that ridiculously early hour, and the singing had started before we even got on the motorway!

When we arrived at our destination (the dining room of a camp site in the north of the region) it was absolutely freezing, and I was regretting my choice of sandals as footwear.
Then I found out why we were there................it was for "hard sell, Spanish style!!"
Apparently, local businesses have found that it's cheaper for them to provide transport, food and a little excursion, than it is to advertise their goods on TV - so we got a free day out, and they got their publicity and a chance to sell their wares.

We were served breakfast, and then the "main man" appeared.
He was only 25, but boy did he have the gift of the gab! He was really quite clever with how he got everyone engaged and "on side", before he started showing the goods - it was all very entertaining!
I was pleased because I could follow just about everything he was saying, even though he was jabbering away very quickly, the more animated and passionate he became!
Anyway, the goods were intially things like orthopaedic mattresses, a variety of fleecy blankets and bed coverings that are meant to do wonders for your circulation, and a massage chair.
He was just like the bloke you see in the meat stall in UK markets; you know, the one with the microphone, cutting up all these huge joints, and shouting "I'm not going to sell this for X pounds, I'm not even going to sell it for Y pounds. Today - and today only, I've got an unrepeatable offer of Z pounds. SOLD to you madam, the most gullible looking one in the front row!"

Then he produced all sorts of smaller homeware goods; crockery and cutlery sets, saucepan sets, roasting dishes and steamers - you get the picture.
Everything was "such and such, with so and so thrown in as today's special gift".
There was an electric fire that caused a lot of interest, and that got people signing up!
Then there were a few other items, always with some "bonus" feature.
Like I said, this young chap was very good at what he did; full of non-smarmy charm, and extremely endearing to the older folks; talking about his grandparents, and really relating his goods to his target group.
It was a really interesting exercise in practising listening to Spanish, and sociology/psychology. It was very entertaining indeed!
Needless to say, I didn't buy anything

We were then served a very pleasant 3 course lunch, before being taken off on a mini excursion into the town and a nearby village.
I've only been to this town once previously, and I was very surprised to be taken to this beautiful park right in the middle of an otherwise ugly place.
This park has been established for 70 years and has a whole host of animal and bird life to see, as well as all the trees and plants.
At first I thought it was wonderful, seeing all the ducks and swans on their various ponds with fountains and the like. Then I saw smaller birds in an aviary, which put me off because I don't like to see birds in cages
The worst thing of all though, was seeing a pen full of the most amazing eagles and kestrels...............but the poor things had all had their wings clipped so they couldn't fly!
It was absolutely tragic to see these beautifully elegant birds reduced to hapless creatures, who could barely flap their way off a stump a foot off the ground. It made me feel totally sick

We had the obligatory visit to the town's hermita, to gaze at the statue of the Patrona. Not exactly my scene, but the decor was stunning - as were the views from the very top of the hill, looking out over the reservoir.
Sorry, no photos as O/H has taken the camera away with him!

Lastly, we visited this incredible village where the old part is completely enclosed by huge fortified walls. The church dates back to the 12th century, so presumably the walls are from a similar period? You can walk almost all the way around the top of the wall, and have a good old nose into all the old houses' patios and terraces!
I also walked all the way around the bottom of the walls, on the outside of the village. It was lovely strolling around in the evening sunshine (still 23 degrees at 7pm ) and saying "buenas tardes" to everyone I met.
It was a really nice way to finish the day, and hopefully one day soon I'll return and take some photos.

True to form, the "oldies" clapped and sang most of the way home, but I was exhausted from listening to so much Spanish all day, and I slept for at least half of the return journey
We got back at 9 pm.
As Wallace and Gromit would say "It was a grand day out!"
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:45 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My day out

Hi there Sam,

I really enjoyed reading that. Your posts are so descriptive, I almost feel like I'm there with you when I'm reading about your adventures

Are you keeping copies of these, as in a diary form? If you're not, I think you should. They are so well written and will always remind you of your early years in Spain.

Sending some love your way,
Martha
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 11:07 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi Sam thanks for sharing with us, when I read your adventure I always wish I had been there with you. As Martha says hope you are keeping these story safe, so you and Keith can sit back in a comfy chairs by a log fire and remember these early days in Spain
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a bit like the free "Blanket" trip that is aimed at gullible Brit tourists on the coast. (I actually know someone who spent £5,000 on one of these trips)
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 6:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Sounds a bit like the free "Blanket" trip that is aimed at gullible Brit tourists on the coast. (I actually know someone who spent £5,000 on one of these trips)
Was just going to post that here we can go on a 'free' trip every day, just have to switch off for the hard sell of blankets. There is also a 'free' lunch at a hotel, just have to sit through the same speil, Lunch is good though. Sounds as though Brisca got them all in one trip.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 6:09 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

What a brilliant experience for you. Thank you so much for sharing the story with us in such a lovely way, you have a great way with words that people can picture everything very clearly. Keep us posted on your outings with the 'oldies', as you say they seem to have much more staying power than we do and they make sure that everyone is aware that they are enjoying themselves.

Rosemary
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 6:29 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
What a brilliant experience for you. Thank you so much for sharing the story with us in such a lovely way, you have a great way with words that people can picture everything very clearly. Keep us posted on your outings with the 'oldies', as you say they seem to have much more staying power than we do and they make sure that everyone is aware that they are enjoying themselves.

Rosemary
We have a couple of road trains that do trips near us and you certainly know when the Spanish are on a trip, always singing and clapping etc. ;-))
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Originally Posted by mikelincs
Was just going to post that here we can go on a 'free' trip every day, just have to switch off for the hard sell of blankets. There is also a 'free' lunch at a hotel, just have to sit through the same speil, Lunch is good though. Sounds as though Brisca got them all in one trip.
Funnily enough, when I invited one of my Spanish friends to come with me (and told her it was free) she said "Oh no! It's probably one of those blanket things....................so no thanks!"
I was still none the wiser, although I imagined that maybe we were going to visit a small village, and the local people would have home-made goods to sell or something

Crikey, £5,000 is a HUGE amount to spend!!
Several of the people who made purchases yesterday, have done so previously - so they knew what they were going for, and they all seemed to think they'd got a bargain!?
I'm one of the world's most gullible people, so I'm quite proud of myself for not getting sucked in!!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
We have a couple of road trains that do trips near us and you certainly know when the Spanish are on a trip, always singing and clapping etc. ;-))
I'm sure Spanish people don't know how to be any other way!!
Every social function I've been to, has involved spontaneous bursts of clapping, dancing and singing.

Not that I'm complaining; I wish I could be that uninhibited!
(Of course, it would help if I could sing, keep a rhythm and didn't have two left feet!! )
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:34 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
Funnily enough, when I invited one of my Spanish friends to come with me (and told her it was free) she said "Oh no! It's probably one of those blanket things....................so no thanks!"
I was still none the wiser, although I imagined that maybe we were going to visit a small village, and the local people would have home-made goods to sell or something

Crikey, £5,000 is a HUGE amount to spend!!
Several of the people who made purchases yesterday, have done so previously - so they knew what they were going for, and they all seemed to think they'd got a bargain!?
I'm one of the world's most gullible people, so I'm quite proud of myself for not getting sucked in!!
I think that 275 Euros for a Blanket, not matter what it is is a bit OTT.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks to all of you who have commented so kindly on this little tale, and others like it

I did start keeping a Blog when we first arrived, but I haven't managed to keep it up.
I'm intending to keep a written record of our "adventures" once we start building our house - and no doubt I'll be sharing quite a few of those experiences with you all
I think we're going to need a few friendly voices and comments along the way

Must go - Keith will be home tonight...................HURRAY!!!
So, lots to do!

I do hope your foot is feeling a lot more comfortable now, Martha?
Sorry I haven't enquired about your wellbeing all that much, but I have been thinking about you loads
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I think that 275 Euros for a Blanket, not matter what it is is a bit OTT.
Oh well Mike, you'll like this then.............................................. ...........

1,199 Euros for a super duper fleece blanket with a Teflon coating!!
BUT, you get thrown in:

An orthopaedic mattress of any size (single mattress allegedly costs 660 Euros)
A variety of fleecy underblankets, pillows and cushions
AND, a reclining massage chair with heated seat!

Pay for it all interest free over a year, at 100 Euros a month,
BUT.............if you pay for it all in one go, you can choose yet another orthopaedic mattress of any size, free of charge.

Now, don't you just wish you had been there to snap up these bargains!?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:01 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Sam , I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful day out,I have tried to send you Karma for you but I have to spread it around TUT TUT , you do write so beautifully and your little stories of your adventures are so intriguing ,have you ever thought of writing a book , well I,m sure you are very excited about Keiths returning home at last ,I wish you both well and also pass a belated happy birthday on to him

Sending love and hugs xxxxxx
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello Jean

Just having lunch, so thought I'd sneak on here quickly!

Ooh! Just had a text from Keith to say he's on board, and they're closing the doors on the plane
Thank you for the birthday wishes; I'll definitely pass them on.

As for writing a book - well, I always wanted to be the next Enid Blyton when I was a child, but nowadays I don't think I could give J.K Rowling a good enough run for her money!

How are you feeling today?
Are those anti-biotics kicking in yet?
I do hope you're feeling a bit brighter.

Love and hugs,
from Sam xx
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:38 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca

I do hope your foot is feeling a lot more comfortable now, Martha?
Sorry I haven't enquired about your wellbeing all that much, but I have been thinking about you loads
Hi Sam,

I can feel your good vibes coming in loud and clear

I'm now pleased to say that I'm officially crutchless. Still on pain killers though, but I took everyone's advice and continuing to go to physio, like the good girl I am - NOT

Went on a ride with Michael on his bike on Saturday all the way to Altea and on Monday to Calpe. It felt really good getting back on the saddle, even though it was a back seat saddle.

Have a great time with Keith and take good care!

Martha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.