Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

My Dad's mobile home plan- can anyone help?

My Dad's mobile home plan- can anyone help?

Old May 3rd 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

trabavins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Dad's mobile home plan- can anyone help?

Thanks for your kind message, we have just had a similar message from someone on the site we are going to, so fingers crossed it will all be ok.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Jon_S is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

The trickiest thing is finding a good park. Once you've located that, finding a home is relatively straightforward. Your father's budget will get him just about anything he needed. New may be better than second-hand as a reputable company will offer the manufacturer's warranty.
Firstly work out what's important - does he want to be able to walk to a shop, is an on-site bar a good idea, close to a beach, public transport links, yearly site fees, size of plot etc all need to be considered.
It's essential to visit a park and stay nearby - most parks won't have accommodation on them for visitors. TALK TO THE RESIDENTS Do they like it there? How long have they been there? Where do they go to get their everyday essentials? How helpful are the park with any concerns or problems they have? If possible, meet the park owner and manager.
When looking at a park, do you think you could live there? Is it clean? Are the public areas well kept? A lot of homes for sale on the park should make you think 'why are they all selling?' - although they may be an innocent explanation, find out what it is.
Are the homes there well spaced-out and cared for? Happy owners generally keep things looking nice. Tatty old caravans with makeshift decking and sheds will devalue a lovely mobile home sited next door.
Avoid anything without separate metered electricity to each plot - it's possibly an illegal development.
What's the weather like. With any luck it will be nice when you visit, but bear in mind that some areas can get very very hot in the summer (and equally, cold in the winter). South does not always mean milder as it has as much to do with the park's altitude and position as location. If there's a big hill or mountain nearby, when does that block the sun?
Finally, the home... Air-conditioning can be fitted cheaply locally. Central heating may be a comfort - some homes have it as standard, many cheaper ones don't and on others it's an option. Look at storage space. Many parks will allow a small outdoor shed, but where will a broom or vacuum cleaner go? Is there enough room for clothes storage (sounds silly, but a lot of mobile homes are designed for holiday rental use only - particularly at the lower end)? Most new homes have a 'wow' factor when you enter them and decor is a matter of personal taste, but what about the things you don't see - is the insulation sufficient? Is the chassis galvanised? Has it been wired to European specification? Who sites it?
Hope this has helped rather than hindered you. The right home on the right park gives a huge amount of satisfaction to it's owners. They're low-maintenance, easy to run and give you a set of new friends to help you adapt to your new life.
Happy hunting!

Last edited by Jon_S; Jul 7th 2008 at 12:56 pm. Reason: typo!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisandluke
Howdy all - first time poster in the Spanish section, so apologies if this ground has been covered before.

My father was recently widowed and has just sold his house in the Midlands - "too many memories".

His budget is around £130k and wants to retire in a little (very little) mobile home in Spain. Ideally it needs to be among an expat community out there, with reasonable set up costs and ground rent.

I've found a couple of firms on the internet, selling reasonably priced (£30k) second hand places - Spainpark Home and Costa Difference Ltd. Has anyone encountered these firms and how do I find out if they're reputable?

Basically, if anyone can point out the pitfalls, I'd be very grateful. I've emigarated to Adelaide, and trying to co-ordinate isn't easy!

Thanks all
Chris
Would a small cortijo not suit? the way prices are dropping he will soon get one for £30k and of course it will be worth something if he ever wants to sell unlike most mobile homes.

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Would a small cortijo not suit? the way prices are dropping he will soon get one for £30k and of course it will be worth something if he ever wants to sell unlike most mobile homes.

Rgds

Rotor
This post is from last February
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:14 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by trabavins
I have worked in admin most of my life and they don't seem to using any of the basic principles. All the worry is starting to make me ill, we were so excited.
Thanks again for the info
Please dont make yourself ill. I would imagine Spain works very slow from what I am hearing. I doubt very much they will abscond with your dosh they have been around for years with good reason. Bad admin dont mean fear the worst, be patient, sure it will be fine Dreams almost arrived for you, no pain no gain and all that
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the kind message but it is an English company and we are still waiting!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Sorry if this seems an obvious question but have you considered consulting a solicitor?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Certainly have, we've approached about 10 different companies in the area and they all say it is not there sort of case.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

milton43 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lcortez
Theres also Breakaway homes,on www.breakaway.com,who have park homes in Malaga and Moraraira,amongst others.
Their also in France and Portugal as well
dont bother with breakaway
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petew
Sorry if this seems an obvious question but have you considered consulting a solicitor?
latest update is good news, our home has been delivered!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My Dad's mobile home plan- can anyone help?

Brilliant well done!!!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Brilliant well done!!!
Thanks it's a real relief.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, I wonder if they read this thread. ;-))
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
LOL, I wonder if they read this thread. ;-))
Hope so. If they did they might like to pay us some compensation for all the anguish and heartache and loss of funds staying here, but i'll not hold my breathe.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:27 am
Just Joined

magsharker is an unknown quantity at this point

DO NOT TOUCH <Snip>
We chose a site in France in October 2007, paid a deposit the same month and the total balance on December 28th 2007 (£60,000 approx) home due to be sited just over 2 months later in March 2008. All we have had since then are lies about problems with the site, transport, french holidays etc etc (the list is endless), extreme difficulty getting anyone to contact us , speak to us when we ring or to reply at all, this has culminated in us employing a solicitor 2 months ago and are now preparing to take court action against them
would suggest that anyone buying a mobile home through a third party, not manufacturer, and asked to give a cheque insist it is made out to the mobile home manufacturer.
WOULD RECOMMEND PEMBERTON HOMES AS THEY HAVE GIVEN US A LOT OF SUPPORT AND HAVE ALSO SPOKEN TO <Snip> NUMEROUS TIMES TO TRY TO PRESSURE THEM TO PAY UP

Last edited by jdr; Nov 6th 2008 at 6:45 am. Reason: Sorry, but we cannot allow name and shame for possible legal implications.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.