British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   My complicated problem (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/my-complicated-problem-942530/)

Xisle Jan 26th 2022 3:31 pm

My complicated problem

First,a little background…
I am 64 yrs old and interested in residence when I’m 67+. II hold a UK and Irish passports.
I am due to receive a small UK State Pension,though I left the UK for the US some 30 years ago.
I have a pre existing condition (Parkinson’s) which I have had for the past two years,so this I believe precludes me from the mandatory one year private medical Insurance.
My Wife is a US citizen and would piggyback on my Irish passport I believe.
So? I’m searching for the Unexplored legal Avenue to residence,given the circumstances and predicament I find myself in.
Thanks !

Joppa Jan 26th 2022 3:52 pm

Re: My complicated problem

As far as I can see, your only realistic chance (other than paying extortionate private medical insurance) is if you are entitled to S1, a certificate that says UK will pay for your healthcare in Spain. UK government website says you are entitled if you get UK state pension, but it doesn't say any minimum amount you must get. I suggest you contact their helpdesk [email protected]. If you do get S1, your wife will be covered too and get her own S1 even if she is below UK state retirement age. You apply for residency with your Irish passport.

Xisle Jan 26th 2022 4:09 pm

Thanks Joppa.I hadn’t considered the S1as we would be applying post Brexit and not resident in the UK ?

Joppa Jan 26th 2022 4:23 pm

UK negotiated a last-minute deal for continuation of S1 with EU. Brief description I've read doesn't say anything about UK residency, so I suggest you clear it up with help desk.

Notdunroamin Jan 26th 2022 5:44 pm

Even if you qualify for an S1 it cannot be used as proof of health insurance when applying for a visa, for that you must have one years private cover.

Possession of an S1 entitles you to the same health care as a native Spanish person, no more no less.

Joppa Jan 26th 2022 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 13090511)
Even if you qualify for an S1 it cannot be used as proof of health insurance when applying for a visa, for that you must have one years private cover.

Possession of an S1 entitles you to the same health care as a native Spanish person, no more no less.

OP has an Irish passport, so can use S1 as proof of health cover when registering as EU resident. No visa required.

Moses2013 Jan 26th 2022 7:07 pm

No idea but wasn't the NHS always residence based, so to apply you need to be living in the UK and receive full pension from UK?

What are the rules if you receive a UK State Pension?

If you meet certain criteria such as being of State Pension age or receiving certain benefits, and moved to the EU before 31 December 2020, then you may remain eligible for NHS treatment. If this is the case you’ll usually have to apply for an S1 form, which can be used to prove your eligibility. It’s worth noting that if you receive a pension in another country, you may not be able to claim NHS treatment.

Notdunroamin Jan 26th 2022 7:46 pm

If you want to use a UK S1 then I don't believe you will be able to use an Irish passport for residency, you cannot mix-n-match like that.

To obtain an S1 from Ireland you need to be registered there for healthcare and paid into the system for I think for at least 12 months. In effect that means living and working there.

An Irish passport is not the all embracing 'get out of Brexit free' card many believe it to be!

None of which negates what I said about an S1 not being valid for a visa application which brings it back to the OP's problem in securing private health insurance for the first year.

Fred James Jan 26th 2022 9:03 pm

It’s crazy that you can’t use an S1 for residency until you have actually got residency. It’s the ultimate Catch 22 situation.

That is something that really needs to change otherwise almost no retirees will get a visa - they almost certainly have some relatively trivial health condition that precludes almost all private insurance as it does not cover any pre-existing medical problems.

Just taking Statins or blood pressure medication will usually be a problem.

Joppa Jan 26th 2022 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 13090534)
If you want to use a UK S1 then I don't believe you will be able to use an Irish passport for residency, you cannot mix-n-match like that.

To obtain an S1 from Ireland you need to be registered there for healthcare and paid into the system for I think for at least 12 months. In effect that means living and working there.

An Irish passport is not the all embracing 'get out of Brexit free' card many believe it to be!

None of which negates what I said about an S1 not being valid for a visa application which brings it back to the OP's problem in securing private health insurance for the first year.

The requirement for private or state-funded medical insurance required for registration as EU citizen in Spain (from the Ministry of the Interior):

i. Public or private health insurance contracted in Spain or in another country, provided that it ensures cover in Spain during their period of residence equivalent to the cover provided by the National Health System. Pensioners will be considered to meet this condition if they can prove, by means of the corresponding certificate, that they are entitled to health care paid for by the State from which they receive their pension.

It doesn't say from the country of their nationality, so any S1 certificate or equivalent from any country can be used. This is sensible as a lot of people have worked in several countries and receive pensions from them. So for example a French citizen who gets no pension from France as they haven't worked there but spent their entire working life in Germany and receive pension from them can submit German S1 when registering as resident in Spain.

airways Jan 27th 2022 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 13090545)
It’s crazy that you can’t use an S1 for residency until you have actually got residency. It’s the ultimate Catch 22 situation.

That is something that really needs to change otherwise almost no retirees will get a visa - they almost certainly have some relatively trivial health condition that precludes almost all private insurance as it does not cover any pre-existing medical problems.

Just taking Statins or blood pressure medication will usually be a problem.

Thats not actually correct. My friend registered last year and took his S1 to the immigration meeting and that was accepted.

snikpoh Jan 27th 2022 8:33 am

Originally Posted by airways (Post 13090615)
Thats not actually correct. My friend registered last year and took his S1 to the immigration meeting and that was accepted.

what visa did they apply for first?

airways Jan 27th 2022 9:04 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 13090620)
what visa did they apply for first?

On a NLV, retired with a view to a golden visa or whatever it is when they buy a property.

Keithtoon Jan 27th 2022 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 13090534)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
Hi all,
Can I jump in?
I am so confused...S1!
In September I will be over 66 and a UK pensioner on full UK pension. My partner who will be 59 with a Irish Passport.
Can I apply for a S1? Also will my partner be covered?
We hope to rent in Spain for 3 months from Sept 2022 to look at different properties. Once we find a long term rental we will move over full time.
Regards
Keith n Macy

Moses2013 Jan 27th 2022 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Keithtoon (Post 13090641)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
Hi all,
Can I jump in?
I am so confused...S1!
In September I will be over 66 and a UK pensioner on full UK pension. My partner who will be 59 with a Irish Passport.
Can I apply for a S1? Also will my partner be covered?
We hope to rent in Spain for 3 months from Sept 2022 to look at different properties. Once we find a long term rental we will move over full time.
Regards
Keith n Macy

All explained here: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...ur-healthcare/

UK-funded healthcare using an S1 form

If you move to an EU country or Switzerland and you receive a UK State Pension, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK.

You'll need to apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 form. S1 forms show that your state healthcare is paid for by the UK if you live in an EU country or Switzerland.

If you’re applying for an S1 form in Switzerland, you'll need to satisfy additional nationality criteria to be eligible. You'll only be issued with an S1 in Switzerland if you're a UK national, a Swiss national, an EU citizen, a refugee or a stateless person, or if you're the family member or survivor of someone who has one of these nationalities or statuses.

If you receive both a pension from the country you now live in and your UK State Pension, you cannot get an S1 form. This is because the country you live in will be responsible for your healthcare.

If you receive your UK State Pension as well as a pension from an EU member state, but are now living in a different EU state, the country to which you paid contributions toward your pension for the longest period becomes responsible for your healthcare.