Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Multiple identities-have you tried it on BE or other forums?

Multiple identities-have you tried it on BE or other forums?

Old Mar 17th 2012, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple identities-have you tried it on BE or other forums?

Originally Posted by HBG
You can usually spot the 'imposters' by their repetitive way of writing, their intent is to mock the forum, or for some other perverse reason.

I've noticed three or four, at least, whose vanity makes them attach some obscure video clip or something similar to their posts, forgetting that they have used it under a previous identity. These daft things are so obscure that the chances of two genuine posters using the same one are millions to one.

The mods are helpless because a lot of people use proxy servers nowadays to hide their IP address, perfectly legitimately for all sorts of reasons.
I wouldn't know a proxy server from a poxy server
Old Mar 17th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Just a question about multiplr identities, have you ever tried to do it and been caught?

Have you done it and not been caught?

Would yo ever bother to try?

Or like me, is 1 virtual persona enough?

What do you think about the people that try to fool the mods?

I personally think it is a waste of time, better to be a whole than 2 halves.
No, no and no. Anyone who would want to needs to get out more.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 7:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The mods are helpless because a lot of people use proxy servers nowadays to hide their IP address, perfectly legitimately for all sorts of reasons.
You don't even need to do that - most ISPs only allow dynamic addresses so they change every time you turn your router off.

That said, you would be amazed how many get knobbled very quickly.

It is very difficult to run two identities and not get spotted eventually.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 7:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You don't even need to do that - most ISPs only allow dynamic addresses so they change every time you turn your router off.

I agree, Week Two of the Moderators Intensive Training Course teaches you there's far more to it than IP addresses........mind you, by week two most of us are spending all our time in the hotel bar
Old Mar 17th 2012, 7:54 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree, Fred.

Let's face it, we pick the places we go to, to be among our own, pubs and bars full of nice people we want to talk and listen to, like forums.

But life intervenes and there will always be an arsehole lurking in the corner to spoil our fun.

But, as you said, you suss them out eventually, and deal with them. It's just a shame that along the way some innocents will get hurt. Some poor old lady will open her heart to a conman, and in real life may lose her fortune, luckily in forum life it will just be her dignity.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 8:35 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there is on on PDT but its the proving it

it is unusual for a poster to only post one thread, one subject, even the most boring of us have enough life in us to post on more than one subject.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 8:54 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

if you go to speedtest they will tell you what your IP is each time you enter their site.
mine never changes since going to this spanish provider and only changed once, due to an adminstrative upgrade of all IP's in use, when I was with my UK provider.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I agree, Week Two of the Moderators Intensive Training Course teaches you there's far more to it than IP addresses........mind you, by week two most of us are spending all our time in the hotel bar
no wonder there is a waiting list for the MITC

Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Bad enough that they reinvent themselves but 2,3+times

Have had my suspicions about a few new posters, there is a certain pattern. however, the Mods assured me when I mentioned it before that this cannot happen.
Oh yes it can, quite easily too!
If you and I made a list of the suspects the lists would no doubt be the same!

Personally I couldn't be bothered with it!
I'm me here... and one is quite enough (I'm sure a few would agree), I'm also me elsewhere, sometimes using this name and sometimes not, but there is only ever one of me.

Those using multiple identities obviously have something to hide, they should "man up" and own up to their posts.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 6:09 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

It amazes me that people who simply post on an internet forum think they know what goes on to a greater degree than say someone who have not only run the site since its inception but also owned it.
Over the years I have seen banned posters return, people have multiple identities and people try and get around the rules and by and large if its not admin who catch them out its themselves. Generally people start up second accounts or return after a banning because they have a score to settle, they think this is all real and its not long before they start up where they left off.

Here is an idea, if you think that someone is a double identity, don't interact with them, don't reply to them, don't give them what they want, attention.... but of course that will never happen will it? Oh no, everyone wants to police the forum!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

I have enough trouble with the identity I have. I know I am 25 yrs old with legs to my armpits and size 0. Whenever I look in a mirror all I see is short fat 60 something getting in front of me. She even uses my credit cards!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:13 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Does it matter?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it does matter, there is no good reason for doing it.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by sujee
I have enough trouble with the identity I have. I know I am 25 yrs old with legs to my armpits and size 0. Whenever I look in a mirror all I see is short fat 60 something getting in front of me. She even uses my credit cards!
does she spend more or less than you ??
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:28 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
I think it does matter, there is no good reason for doing it.
I don't follow your logic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.