British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Ms (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ms-935337/)

Daniellewhite20 Oct 18th 2020 4:40 pm

Ms

Hello,
I am self employed, able to work remotely and am moving to Spain tomorrow until at least January, so 3 months. I understand I will need a visa after the 31st of Dec. I would like to achieve residency or some status that will enable me the opportunity to stay without applying for a visa. I am wondering what the process is? what I would need (bank account, rental agreement, for how long, a job?) if I have enough time?

Any information, links much appreciated :)

Dani

tebo53 Oct 18th 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Ms

Residency here in Spain is for people who actually are living here legally in Spain. You can't apply for residency just so you can spend more time here.

To apply for residency you will need to prove that you have enough income to satisfy the authorities you won't become a burden on the state. That income will be required to be paid into a Spanish bank account for the last three months and outgoings being paid to various companies to prove that you actually are living here legally in Spain. You would need to prove that you have full healthcare cover fully paid up for the year. A long term rental contract or deeds to a property and a padron will also be needed.

Steve

Daniellewhite20 Oct 18th 2020 6:56 pm

Hello Steve,

Thankyou that is really helpful. I am in the final stages of signing a rental agreement with a friend for an apartment in the old town, Malaga. I would love for this to be for a year but it is a bit chicken and egg re staying. I am wondering what would be considered long term? I do earn reasonable income so I guess the barrier here would be what is required to open a Spainsh bank account, I can see an NIE number is needed which I need to be a resident for... hum. Paying out for things in Spain would not be a problem, I am guessing local supermarkets, buying furniture, I wasn't going to put the bills through my account but perhaps this would help? Then the local healthcare. I guess the health plan would be part of my paperwork too. Can see you are referring to the 'documentation which demonstrates you meet the EU residence criteria on income and healthcare'

I would love to stay in Spain, this is something I have been wanting to do for a long time but I also understand time is short! So I am under quite a bit of pressure to act and learn quickly, ​​​​​I guess I am wondering considering how little time I have how long they would like to see me paying for things in Malaga, length of rental agreement etc

thanks again for info

Joppa Oct 18th 2020 7:42 pm

I am in the process of getting residency through the foreigners office in Malaga so I am familiar with the local requirement (each province has its own rules). As you are clearly not retired with pensions, you need to show adequate income, which is quite low in Malaga of around 461 euro per month. This doesn't need to be in Spanish bank account, so UK bank account is fine, with statement over the last 6 months privately translated. You will need NIE, and they don't issue one at the same time as residency document as they used to, so you need to get it before applying. You don't need rental agreement but you should be on padron. Plus a year's private health insurance without co-payment. It has taken me 4 weeks to get an approval after submitting documents online through a gestor, plus a few weeks for fingerprinting and collection of residency document (TIE), so it's getting very tight. If you need to exchange your driving licence, you need to apply before the end of the year, for which you need TIE, or else you will have to take driving test in Spanish. So if you want to get residency under the withdrawal agreement, get to Spain now, apply for NIE through a gestor and then residency, and then apply for exchange of licence.

jogger Oct 18th 2020 8:57 pm

Hi Joppa, our gesture submitted my wife's documents/application to the foreigners office in Malaga nearly two weeks ago. Did it take just four weeks for your first appointment at the police station?

Joppa Oct 18th 2020 9:06 pm

No, four weeks to be approved, and we now have to wait for more appointments at the police station to be released at the end of October.

Notdunroamin Oct 19th 2020 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 12923322)
You will need NIE, and they don't issue one at the same time as residency document as they used to, so you need to get it before applying.

Not sure that's so.

The first part of the process, an application for an appointment to present form EX-20, asks for an NIE or DNI or passport number.

Note it does not ask for a Padron either.

https://sede.administracionespublica...cpco/acEntrada

BTW, may I suggest next time you use a more meaningful title for a topic.

Not sure what 'Ms' was meant to mean but at first glance I thought 'multiple sclerosis' and nearly didn't open it to read!

Joppa Oct 19th 2020 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 12923449)
Not sure that's so.

I am going through residency procedure at the moment through Malaga Extranjeria (as OP is planning to do) and local requirement includes having NIE before applying for TIE. Padron certificate is being asked for the second step at policia nacional.

Daniellewhite20 Oct 19th 2020 10:21 am

Spanish Residency

Great thanks Joppa,
Really helpful. Got a recommendation for a gestor to apply for the NIE ?! I assume I complete this E15 form...
(cant post urls)
And then send my gestor a copy of the interesting pages of my passport, rental agreement not essential? just an address in Malaga? one year of healthcare only for me, 6 months of bank statement - in my UK back account is fine (to prove I earn more that 461 Euros a month), anything else?
I take this to the police station in Malaga, unless they are doing this online now with Covid?

Daniellewhite20 Oct 19th 2020 10:23 am

Okay so this does mean I focus on the NIE with needs the E15 form. Thanks

Barriej Oct 19th 2020 10:34 am

Re: Spanish Residency

Originally Posted by Daniellewhite20 (Post 12923508)
Great thanks Joppa,
Really helpful. Got a recommendation for a gestor to apply for the NIE ?! I assume I complete this E15 form...
(cant post urls)
And then send my gestor a copy of the interesting pages of my passport, rental agreement not essential? just an address in Malaga? one year of healthcare only for me, 6 months of bank statement - in my UK back account is fine (to prove I earn more that 461 Euros a month), anything else?
I take this to the police station in Malaga, unless they are doing this online now with Covid?

New applications are a 3 stage affair.
The first part is to submit all of your paperwork (ours is being done by our solicitor as it can be done online)
Once the office has approved you, then you have to make an appointment to have your fingerprints and to check your paperwork, including a padron cert at the National Police station.
Then you have to go back and collect the card.

Here in Alicante its taking between 4 to 6 weeks (although others have found it quicker) to process the paperwork.
Appointments for the police are few and far between.

Im anticipating it taking around 3 to 4 months to get our cards, and also here in Alicante you have to prove 3 months of transactions in a Spanish bank with a balance of around €9000 each. And the statements must be printed and signed by the bank, with a letter saying how long you have had the account.

But I think Malaga might be different. Or should I say easier, but you can only apply in the region you live in, or I would be driving down asap.

Once resident you do realise that its illegal for you to drive a Uk plated car? And you have to exchange your diving licence as well.

Good luck with your plans.

Joppa Oct 19th 2020 10:37 am

Unless you are fluent in Spanish and have dealt with bureaucracy before, I strongly suggest you use gestoria to handle your application. It's very difficult to book an appointment for TIE at Malaga and the time is running out. Gestoria will apply online and help you to get appointments at police station (two required). Scan and email your passport (vital pages), bank statement (6 months), rental contract, health insurance (receipt and schedule) and explain you need NIE as you don't have one. They will first make an appointment for NIE at police station (you get NIE statement a couple of days later) and then they will make online application. They will complete relevant application forms and just ask you to sign. I am using Maria Cobos based in Nerja but covers Malaga as well. GESTORÍA COBOS | Contact Us

trythallj Oct 21st 2020 9:46 am

Think you may not be quite correct about illegal to drive a UK plated car. It is illegal to have a UK plated car that is registered in your name.

Daniellewhite20 Oct 25th 2020 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 12923512)
New applications are a 3 stage affair.
The first part is to submit all of your paperwork (ours is being done by our solicitor as it can be done online)
Once the office has approved you, then you have to make an appointment to have your fingerprints and to check your paperwork, including a padron cert at the National Police station.
Then you have to go back and collect the card.

Here in Alicante its taking between 4 to 6 weeks (although others have found it quicker) to process the paperwork.
Appointments for the police are few and far between.

Im anticipating it taking around 3 to 4 months to get our cards, and also here in Alicante you have to prove 3 months of transactions in a Spanish bank with a balance of around €9000 each. And the statements must be printed and signed by the bank, with a letter saying how long you have had the account.

But I think Malaga might be different. Or should I say easier, but you can only apply in the region you live in, or I would be driving down asap.

Once resident you do realise that its illegal for you to drive a Uk plated car? And you have to exchange your diving licence as well.

Good luck with your plans.

Thankyou Barriej,
This is really helpful. Yes I am so happy Malaga is easier ! Sounds like you are making goo progress. and worth employing somebody I think. Especially considering time !

Daniellewhite20 Oct 25th 2020 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 12923514)
Unless you are fluent in Spanish and have dealt with bureaucracy before, I strongly suggest you use gestoria to handle your application. It's very difficult to book an appointment for TIE at Malaga and the time is running out. Gestoria will apply online and help you to get appointments at police station (two required). Scan and email your passport (vital pages), bank statement (6 months), rental contract, health insurance (receipt and schedule) and explain you need NIE as you don't have one. They will first make an appointment for NIE at police station (you get NIE statement a couple of days later) and then they will make online application. They will complete relevant application forms and just ask you to sign. I am using Maria Cobos based in Nerja but covers Malaga as well. GESTORÍA COBOS | Contact Us

Thanks for the link, forwarded to friend too.
I am subletting and didnt ask to go on rental contract as understood I didnt need but does my name need to be on it? Or can I just give an address in Malaga where I live? Thanks loads for your help!