Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mr Wippy - Question about icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm

Mr Wippy - Question about icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm

Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mr Wippy - Question about icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm

Originally Posted by Rotor
Spanish are turning towards **ite food slowly but surely , more fat kids around now than 10 years ago ,MacDs and the likes along with crap neddy meals from Aldi / Lidl etc.
we have a MacD's in Granada, doesn't open until 1200 by which time the carpark is full of people shopping elsewhere - like BurgerKing almost over the road, opens at 0900.

I thought the idea of going on holiday to Spain was to get the sun, sea, sangria of the local area, not stagger from one Mr Whippy to the next and then flop down in the local fish & chip bar or roast beef joint.

this is a Duncan Bannatine moment - I can see no chance of it succeeding so I'm Out !

`

Last edited by Domino; Feb 15th 2013 at 2:10 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mr Wippy - Question about icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm

Originally Posted by Domino
we have a MacD's in Granada, doesn't open until 1200 by which time the carpark is full of people shopping elsewhere - like BurgerKing almost over the road, opens at 0900.

I thought the idea of going on holiday to Spain was to get the sun, sea, sangria of the local area, not stagger from one Mr Whippy to the next and then flop down in the local fish & chip bar or roast beef joint.

this is a Duncan Bannatine moment - I can see no chance of it succeeding so I'm Out !

`
So why do they keep opening new restaurants ? guess they dont understand business
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:13 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

So why do they keep opening new restaurants ? guess they dont understand business
aren't they franchises ?
the holder of the master franchise for the country isnt that bothered as they will have had money up front and continually.

Spain appears to have a completely different philosophy regarding business to that of the UK, they seem to be happy to make lower profit on sales which would not be countenanced in the UK.

Clothing is normally marked up by 200-250% in the UK but out here it is much lower. And there seem to be more food deals here - see the ads for Pans & Co with their snacks at €1.00 - good value, just the last time I had one I couldn't get rid of the over-used cookng oil taste out of the mouth (another saving).
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
aren't they franchises ?
the holder of the master franchise for the country isnt that bothered as they will have had money up front and continually.

Spain appears to have a completely different philosophy regarding business to that of the UK, they seem to be happy to make lower profit on sales which would not be countenanced in the UK.

Clothing is normally marked up by 200-250% in the UK but out here it is much lower. And there seem to be more food deals here - see the ads for Pans & Co with their snacks at €1.00 - good value, just the last time I had one I couldn't get rid of the over-used cookng oil taste out of the mouth (another saving).

BurgerMac and the likes are franchises but the big successful names dont want you to fail , its not in there interest at all , they stringently survey areas before letting the franchisee open a new store so its very unusual to see one close down.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:37 am

BurgerMac and the likes are franchises but the big successful names dont want you to fail , its not in there interest at all , they stringently survey areas before letting the franchisee open a new store so its very unusual to see one close down.
oh yes, agree, just couldnt understand why they aren't open earlier. Perhaps they are hoping that when the shoppers come back they will "pop in", went in there late summer last year, gasping for a coke, and the place was almost empty. OK 2-3 in afternoon isnt the best time out here, but the car park was full.
perhaps it livens up later in the day, just don't usually get out to the Avenida de Juan Pablo II in the evenings to find out as its on the wrong road home.

so what chance does Mr Whippy have down on the coast ?? Probably get shut down because of local traders complaints if it ever gets permission at all
`
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

McD's, Burger King etc are all franchises. like Starbucks etc. and you're right, the franchisees are the ones taking the risks.
Beach bars, where they're allowed, are usually bought up by large consortia, and then rented out like franchises. Most go, apparently, to relatives of people in the town halls, or at least did. Only catering or ice-cream vans we ever saw were at local markets or, sometimes, on the car parks at supermarkets, but those were usually the pollo asado vans in any case.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Paul Atkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mr Wippy

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I live in France, but would suggest that you post again on the Spain forum. The first thing which occurs to me is that, even if the Council accepts your "premium", the other shops would find means of showing their disapproval. But Spain members will advise you better than me!
Cheers for the reply thanks Paul.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Paul Atkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi Paul,

Welcome to BE. I can't help with your question I'm afraid as I am in the US (although to be honest I couldn't answer that question if you asked about the US either ) but I've moved your thread to our Spain forum for you and hopefully one of BE's other members may be able to help.

Welcome again and i hope you enjoy being part of our virtual community.
Cheers paul