Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mr Wippy - Question about icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm

Mr Wippy - Question about icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm

Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Paul Atkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mr Wippy - Question about icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm

Hi, I am an icecream man in England, for the last 15years.i would like some info how I would be able to put my icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm,I enquirerd 12years ago and was told all the shops on the promenade who had softy machines would object.I am willing to pay the council a premium for a yearly pitch,is this possible now or is it still a no no.i am comming to benidorm in April to make more enquires but like to do some homework before I come.cheers Paul.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mr Wippy

Originally Posted by Paul Atkinson
Hi, I am an icecream man in England, for the last 15years.i would like some info how I would be able to put my icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm,I enquirerd 12years ago and was told all the shops on the promenade who had softy machines would object.I am willing to pay the council a premium for a yearly pitch,is this possible now or is it still a no no.i am comming to benidorm in April to make more enquires but like to do some homework before I come.cheers Paul.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I live in France, but would suggest that you post again on the Spain forum. The first thing which occurs to me is that, even if the Council accepts your "premium", the other shops would find means of showing their disapproval. But Spain members will advise you better than me!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:31 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm

Hi Paul,

Welcome to BE. I can't help with your question I'm afraid as I am in the US (although to be honest I couldn't answer that question if you asked about the US either ) but I've moved your thread to our Spain forum for you and hopefully one of BE's other members may be able to help.

Welcome again and i hope you enjoy being part of our virtual community.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mr Wippy - Question about icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:01 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mr Wippy - Question about icecream van on a pitch on the beach in benidorm

the only way to find out definitively would be to go to the ayuntamiento (council) & ask

most towns have temporary 'bars' in the summer known as chiringuitos - they have to get a licence from the ayuntamiento for which they pay many 1000€ each year

I don't know if an ice cream van would be able to get such a licence - but 'mobile catering' licences are usually only granted for things like markets

as I say - the only place for a definitive answer would be the ayuntamiento
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

We have looked into this question before for a client and it is a complete non-starter - Benidorm do not allow it

It may be possible to put one on the local markets - pop in and see us if you want when you over in April!

Last edited by SueG; Feb 15th 2013 at 7:34 am. Reason: Added re markets
Old Feb 15th 2013, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
We have looked into this question before for a client and it is a complete non-starter - Benidorm do not allow it

It may be possible to put one on the local markets - pop in and see us if you want when you over in April!
No surprise there ,protectionism strangling growth again.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:29 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
No surprise there ,protectionism strangling growth again.
sorry, but how can you have growth in a dwindling market ??
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:47 pm
Banned

decon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to all

I am sure that if it was allowed it would have been done by now, even by a Spaniard.

They would not have had to wait till 2013 for an enterprising Brit to come up with the idea, Don´t you think?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
sorry, but how can you have growth in a dwindling market ??

Spain could grow its tourist market even in today's climate , those who have work will still go on holiday ,where depends on how good the destination is , run down chiringuito`s that only survive because the owners know the right people are not the way to go , new ideas and money would help.

One of these may work

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ston-Gait.html

Last edited by Rotor; Feb 15th 2013 at 12:53 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:55 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Spain received 58 million tourists last year - I doubt that a brand of ice-cream called Mr Whippy would have made any difference to that.
Nothing stopping you opening a bar and selling ice-cream there - but I fear it wouldn't make the money you think it would.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Spain received 58 million tourists last year - I doubt that a brand of ice-cream called Mr Whippy would have made any difference to that.
Nothing stopping you opening a bar and selling ice-cream there - but I fear it wouldn't make the money you think it would.
Who said it would?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Indeed, the tourism market is continuing to grow

Given that there are so many heladerias in Spanish towns then I doubt that an ice cream van would be allowed to set up anywhere. However, I have seen them near the beaches in Asturias because the beaches there are not built up and so have very few places to eat or buy an ice cream

You'd only get customers 3 months a year though - and very few Brits. Not sure whether Spaniards would like Mr Whippy, I always thought it wasnt really ice cream. Its not very cold and has no cream in it!
Old Feb 15th 2013, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cricketman
Indeed, the tourism market is continuing to grow

Given that there are so many heladerias in Spanish towns then I doubt that an ice cream van would be allowed to set up anywhere. However, I have seen them near the beaches in Asturias because the beaches there are not built up and so have very few places to eat or buy an ice cream

You'd only get customers 3 months a year though - and very few Brits. Not sure whether Spaniards would like Mr Whippy, I always thought it wasnt really ice cream. Its not very cold and has no cream in it!

Spanish are turning towards **ite food slowly but surely , more fat kids around now than 10 years ago ,MacDs and the likes along with crap neddy meals from Aldi / Lidl etc.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 1:19 pm
Banned

decon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rotor
Spanish are turning towards **ite food slowly but surely , more fat kids around now than 10 years ago ,MacDs and the likes along with crap neddy meals from Aldi / Lidl etc.
Nowt wrong with ready meals from Aldi etc, they are quite small for a mane course though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.