British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   MR WHIPPY ICE CREAM MACHINES (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/mr-whippy-ice-cream-machines-649236/)

dancing queen Jan 14th 2010 5:42 pm

MR WHIPPY ICE CREAM MACHINES

Can anybody advise me where i can find a supplier of a mr whippy ice-cream machine. I have recently opened a cafeteria and would be grateful for any links/suppliers.
Many thanks

cricketman Jan 14th 2010 5:56 pm

Re: MR WHIPPY ICE CREAM MACHINES

Originally Posted by dancing queen (Post 8248927)
Can anybody advise me where i can find a supplier of a mr whippy ice-cream machine. I have recently opened a cafeteria and would be grateful for any links/suppliers.
Many thanks

The machines I've seen like that in Spain have been by Walls ice cream

Most heladerias supply the real thing

Madridboy Jan 14th 2010 6:06 pm

I have experiance with them from a buisnes I had in the UK and IMO maybe the best thing to do is get in toutch with Taylors who IMO are the manufacturers of the best systems in the world and ask them for a second hand machine they have on their books. Go for the best twin twist you can afford, around 20 000GBP+ new but second hand less than 7000GBP. Don't go for a bottom end machine as there's nothing more frustrating than having customers leaving because you're running under capacity. It'll be worth the cost to have it shipped over here. Also if you are not familiar with soft serve, learn how to clean the machine and do is thoroughly minimum, minimum 3 times a week in this weather. Also, it's going to melt quickly in this weather so don't put mountains of it on the cone.

dancing queen Jan 14th 2010 6:14 pm

Thankyou for your replies, very much apprieciated.....yes you are right, we cant compete with the heladerias here so that is why we would like to go for the good old 99 style ice creams. Please keep your replies coming if you can help, thankyou

Madridboy Jan 14th 2010 6:22 pm

There's huge proffit in soft serve, if my memory serves me right 5 years ago it cost 11.5p to produce a soft serve on cone with a flake and I sold them at 1.20GBP. I did look at producing the liquid myself as well but got a great offer on the shop so sold, but if you speak to Taylor they will advise you on how you can make your own mix and can supply you with the equipment for this as well (again go for second hand) and where to buy the powder from to make the mix and increase your profits even more.

Fredbargate Jan 14th 2010 6:22 pm

Ebay result

http://business.shop.ebay.co.uk/Rest...=p3286.c0.m282

Madridboy Jan 14th 2010 6:29 pm

Good link Fred,http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Taylor-PH90-Th...item20aee5b9b6 is the Rolls Royce of the range but I wouldn't spend that kind of money unless it was with a manufacturers warranty. That type of machine will still be running like new in 20 years if you look after it and will always be worth good money if you ever wanted to sell it again.

Lospacoshombre Jan 14th 2010 7:05 pm

Hi
my family business was Ice cream manufacturing, and we produced both the "mix" for soft ice cream and the hard frozen stuff, i have experience of both retail and wholesale.

i would say the taylor machines are excellent and the margins are superb (do not buy a gravity fed buy a pump fed)

They do rely on turnover to be effective and therefore you must have the demand, they are also need lots of cleaning, therefore demand again is a must.

the ice cream alliance (uk) have a mag that sells second hand machines, exchange and mart used to do them.

At the end of my time in business WALLS(who i have no time for) brought in an ingenious system where you have a countertop heated dispensor that takes ice creram cartridges in different flavours you press them through the machine and hey presto you have instant soft ice cream, with no waste.

i would try this and assess demand

regards
lph

fionamw Jan 14th 2010 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by dancing queen (Post 8248993)
Thankyou for your replies, very much apprieciated.....yes you are right, we cant compete with the heladerias here so that is why we would like to go for the good old 99 style ice creams. Please keep your replies coming if you can help, thankyou

Gosh, how many are there?

Madridboy Jan 14th 2010 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre (Post 8249129)
Hi
my family business was Ice cream manufacturing, and we produced both the "mix" for soft ice cream and the hard frozen stuff, i have experience of both retail and wholesale.

i would say the taylor machines are excellent and the margins are superb (do not buy a gravity fed buy a pump fed)

They do rely on turnover to be effective and therefore you must have the demand, they are also need lots of cleaning, therefore demand again is a must.

the ice cream alliance (uk) have a mag that sells second hand machines, exchange and mart used to do them.

At the end of my time in business WALLS(who i have no time for) brought in an ingenious system where you have a countertop heated dispensor that takes ice creram cartridges in different flavours you press them through the machine and hey presto you have instant soft ice cream, with no waste.

i would try this and assess demand

regards
lph

I made the mistake of buying a gravity fed system by Electrofreeze and regreted it from day one. As for the walls system, I did look into it but opted for the Taylor as we were purely an ice cream shop so already had an idea of what we could do but the speed at which we could produce constantly meant we rarely lost a customer.

GCM Jan 15th 2010 8:27 am

So many people have mentioned to me about how great an idea it would be to have an ice-cream van round.

Why has nobody done this?

Is it somehow not allowed in Spain?

There must be a fortune to be made, if they are successful in the UK just imagine here in sunny and hot Spain!

Nu-Shooz Jan 15th 2010 8:51 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dancing queen (Post 8248927)
Many thanks

Hmmm yum.

cricketman Jan 15th 2010 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 8250804)
Hmmm yum.

Beware that Spanish people arent used to English-style Mr Whippy ice cream

My OH was shocked when she got given one in the UK for the first time, she said "it doesnt taste like ice cream and isnt even cold!"

So you'd better target the Brits

cricketman Jan 15th 2010 8:58 am

Originally Posted by GCM (Post 8250761)
So many people have mentioned to me about how great an idea it would be to have an ice-cream van round.

Why has nobody done this?

Is it somehow not allowed in Spain?

There must be a fortune to be made, if they are successful in the UK just imagine here in sunny and hot Spain!

Probably because up until a few years ago there werent any suburbs in Spain. Spanish people tend to live close to the town centres and shops and so close to the heladerias and cafeterias that serve ice cream.

battlezone123 Jan 15th 2010 10:54 am

I love Mr Whippy ice cream and so I could not believe it when two of our local bakers installed the "equivalent" machines. One morning when it was hot I asked the kids if they fancied a Mr Whippy so we went into town. On asking at the bakers for the ice cream we were told that they only serve the ice cream after 5.00pm!