British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Movistar - Good and bad news (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/movistar-good-bad-news-914656/)

spainrico Jul 6th 2018 12:42 pm

Movistar - Good and bad news

First the good..........I have a Movistar Fusion package and whilst signed on to my Movistar account I realised a free upgrade from 50mb to 100mb internet speed was available which I requested. (Maybe they were phoning me to tell me, I have their sales calls blocked)

Bad news....despite an hour online with their techies I can still only get 50mb speed using wifi (100mb works fine when hard cabled into the router) they said they had reset the router but it's no faster on wifi which I prefer to use as I have a laptop.

Any geeks out there - can wifi run faster if so how? I have a laptop a couple of years old running up to date windows 10. The wifi card says speed of 65mb but....

rachelk Jul 6th 2018 3:21 pm

Re: Movistar - Good and bad news

Is it to do with the type of wifi signal you're using?

I'm not a techie, but I'll do my best....

My router will give me two wifi signals, one at 2.4GHz and one at 5GHz. 5G is faster but has a shorter range AND many devices don't use it, they must have the right kind of wifi adaptor. My new laptop and tablet both can use it, my phones and an old laptop can't.

According to this page 2.4G has a max spped of about 50Mbs, whereas 5G can go to 867 Mbs.

Could this be your issue? You can buy usb adaptors for 5G if your machine doesn't use it. I have one for the old laptop and it works fine. If it's the router which doesn't work on 5G you could ask for an upgrade but I'd be surprised at the telephone helpline not suggesting this.

Hope this helps, if not there are more technically minded people out there than I....

spainrico Jul 6th 2018 5:14 pm

Yes, I think you are right, been messing around with settings all day with no result. Not the end of the world 50mbs is fine but seems a shame not to use the system at full specification. Will go to the local PC Box shop and have a chat. Thanks for your input.

I hope others can claim their free upgrade and get the best out of it.

rachelk Jul 6th 2018 6:10 pm

Check out your own router first, and then try asking Movistar for a dual band one if necessary. But yes, 50Gb is enough even for streaming.

pwwm Jul 8th 2018 7:02 am

crikey we are lucky to get 8, most around here are on less, think yourself lucky

spainrico Jul 8th 2018 7:47 am

Yes I know I am lucky. When I moved here (just north of Alicante city) my contract was 10MB and I got .8 yes point 8, dial-up was faster hahah. I went and complained and was told your contract says UP TO 10MB but fibre optic cable would be installed within1 year. I was a sceptic especially as this is a residential area with no business demand (just shops). But the fibre optic was installed right through to my apartment I immediately got 10MB, later upgraded to 30 then 50 all for free. And for around 2€ a day I have all my calls (landline and mobile) the line and ADSL all in one package with virtual 100% availability. All in all a very good service and probably better than most of UK as well.

spainrico Jul 9th 2018 3:04 pm

A 10€ gizmo from Amazon has upgraded my laptop but as my Movistar routers will only work at 100mbs with a device connected via ethernet cable and I want to work my laptop on wifi the recent free line speed upgrade is a waste of time unless I pay Movistar 100€ for new router and installation. So not feeling so happy now.

Some people might be lucky and already have a more recent router and so can benefit.

Eric S Jul 11th 2018 9:43 pm

Do you have to use the Movistar router? If you can use your own, you can probably buy one for less than 100€.

- Eric S.

spainrico Jul 12th 2018 6:49 am

No Eric you don't have to use the Movistar router. But I have a strange problem in that my fibre optic cable is hard-wired into the router so I cannot unplug and reconnect to another. As it happens Movistar reduced their price this week to 80€ for an up to date router and installation so I took the deal. Waiting for them to come...

spainrico Jul 18th 2018 11:10 am

OK so I had to email them as they did not arrive - then within 24 hours, the technician arrived. Turned out the FO cable did have a plug on it connected inside the router so I could have bought my own and plugged it in but never mind the friendly helpful (he changed the router security password to something intelligible) technician connected and tested and I get around 104MBS.

So for around 2€ a day for all services, not a bad deal but of course new customers probably get a cheaper deal!