Reload this Page >

moving to Xátiva, Valencia

moving to Xátiva, Valencia

Old Dec 6th 2004, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Estivaliz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Xátiva, Valencia

Hi,

Thinking of moving to Xátiva and would be really grateful for any wisdom on how it is to live there, particularly any information on schools. Have 2 junior school aged kids who I would like to send to a good state Spanish school. Thanks...
Old Dec 6th 2004, 10:31 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Xátiva, Valencia

I used to date someone who lived there when I was living in Denia. I'll see if I still have his email addy and could always pass it on. He doesn't speak English though and my top tip would be to become as fluent as you can and also try to learn Valenciano.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Estivaliz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sibsie
I used to date someone who lived there when I was living in Denia. I'll see if I still have his email addy and could always pass it on. He doesn't speak English though and my top tip would be to become as fluent as you can and also try to learn Valenciano.
Thanks, that would be great. I speak fluent Spanish but realise that it could be a challenge for the kids at least at first who only speak a bit, especially with the added valenciano factor. I would be interested to know how much of an expat community there is there, imagine that it's more Spanish than a coastal town would be round there, which is part of the appeal.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:58 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I only went there a couple of times to visit him. It's very Spanish and I didn't seen another Brit, German, Swede or Dutch person there at all. It was a nice area though and house prices were a hell of a lot lower than the usual expat haunts.

I don't know how old your kiddies are. My niece who was 6 when she moved to Javea went to a Spanish school. After 6 months she was fluent in Spanish and was getting better grades in Valenciano than the Spanish kids. Children are a lot more adaptable than us grown ups.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Estivaliz
Thanks, that would be great. I speak fluent Spanish but realise that it could be a challenge for the kids at least at first who only speak a bit, especially with the added valenciano factor. .
My folks enrolled my sister and I in regular Spanish school when I was 8 and she 6 years old. We spoke zero Spanish at the time. A million years later I'm considered 'fluent enough'.
To add insult to injury, the put us in the village school in Mallorca and we even picked up the local dialect.
Kids absorb it.. I was never even consious of learning a new language.