Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving from to the UK to Gibraltar/Spain

Moving from to the UK to Gibraltar/Spain

Old Jan 11th 2015, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

r_moore04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from to the UK to Gibraltar/Spain

Hi im new to all this, and I don't know where to start, I currently live in the uk and have always wants to live in Spain, since I split up from my ex over the summer I have been thinking of moving to Spain or Gibraltar.

I have two jobs at the moment, which is part time at Morrison's supermarket and I work full time in IT support as an IT professional.

I have been looking at moving to Gibraltar, I have seen that the rental price is Gibraltar is around £750 and is much cheaper in La Linea, iv seen mixed reviews about La Linea.

I don't know where to start in finding a job, finding a place to rent out there, I can try and get a transfer from the Morrisons where im at now to Gibraltar, other than that I don't know.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 12:28 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from to the UK to Gibraltar/Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 12th 2015, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r_moore04
Hi im new to all this, and I don't know where to start, I currently live in the uk and have always wants to live in Spain, since I split up from my ex over the summer I have been thinking of moving to Spain or Gibraltar.

I have two jobs at the moment, which is part time at Morrison's supermarket and I work full time in IT support as an IT professional.

I have been looking at moving to Gibraltar, I have seen that the rental price is Gibraltar is around £750 and is much cheaper in La Linea, iv seen mixed reviews about La Linea.

I don't know where to start in finding a job, finding a place to rent out there, I can try and get a transfer from the Morrisons where im at now to Gibraltar, other than that I don't know.
Hi welcome to the forum.

May I suggest you come to Gib for a short holiday to see what life is like first hand and also check out the job situation

For accommodation in Gib have a look at :- http://propertygibraltar.com/

Sorry I cannot help with Spanish accommodation
Old Jan 15th 2015, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Anna Collins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There

Gibraltar is a very expensive place to live, it's small and land is at a premium so many people live in La Linea across the border in Spain and commute into Gibraltar for work each day. Depending on where in La Linea you live, you may be able to walk in to Gib, lots of people cycle as this saves time in long border queues that affect mainly cars. Problem is, La Linea is not really that nice and seems to just serve a purpose for people wanting to work in Gib but who cannot afford to live there.

People in Gibraltar are bilingual so you shouldn't have any trouble if you don't speak Spanish yet. You might also be able to get a job in IT, there are several big betting companies which have head offices in Gib and I guess they will have IT support departments. Wages are generally higher in Gibraltar than in Spain too.

I agree come over for a visit first before you make the commitment, you can fly into Gibraltar direct or Malaga airport which is about 1.5 hours away.

Good Luck