Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Tenerife!

Moving to Tenerife!

Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

LISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really nice
Default Moving to Tenerife!

After reading through lots of the posts there has to be some good points about moving to Tenerife please feeel free to share with me and try to convince me to move.Also can anyone give me some advice on a nice area not to near the resort areas also any suggestions on a bussiness we could set up?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Tenerife!

Originally Posted by LISA SAWIN
also any suggestions on a bussiness we could set up?
What are you good at? What kind of working experience do you have? What are your professional skills? What do you enjoy doing?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 12:39 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

After reading through lots of the posts there has to be some good points about moving to Tenerife please feeel free to share with me and try to convince me to move.Also can anyone give me some advice on a nice area not to near the resort areas also any suggestions on a bussiness we could set up?
I would say the good points are to numerous to mention and would highly recommend it.
Unless you speak good Spanish you may be well advised to stay close to resort areas initially,until you get your feet under the table.
Also your business opportunities will be very limited well outside of tourist areas.
As regards what will succeed, I really don't know, because eveything has been tried at one time or another by Brits who have moved there and only the best and the smartest tend to survive very long.
Much better you go there and rent a place for a while whist you feel the place out and consider the possibilities based on your favourite and strongest inclinations,but be very wary before jumping in at the deep end.
Its a great place if you are financially comfortable, but if not you could struggle, as the business competition is tough and the many costs and complications of setting up certainly don't help.
Loads of info and advice available on the Tenerife Forum.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:33 am
Just Joined

LISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really niceLISA SAWIN is just really nice

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
What are you good at? What kind of working experience do you have? What are your professional skills? What do you enjoy doing?
I have done lots of things i have qualifications in catering and in health and social care my husband also has catering experience and he is a fully qualified plumber and gas fitter!
Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:37 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you go over there for a fact finding trip and see if you can see any business opportunities

Jo xxx
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I suggest you go over there for a fact finding trip and see if you can see any business opportunities

Jo xxx
Hi are there any agencies that can help out with this or is it just a case of going over and looking for ourselves?
We are due to come over in May so it would be a good time to start looking!
Lisa
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

The place is full of Brits so don't worry about the language. There are a couple of areas 10 minutes drive away from the tourist areas called Parque de la Reina (where the Go Kart centre is) & Las Chafiras (where the large brothel called WOMAN is that you pass on the motorway). You'll find masses of apartments & houses to rent in these areas considerably cheaper than in LA or LC. Just walk around & ring the phone numbers.

Your hubby should find work easily but the recession has hit Tenerife hard & there aren't many catering jobs around.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice

As a matter of interest, are you moving from Costa del sol to Tenerife? if so what made you decide to do that as I have just moved the other way round from there to here
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:23 pm
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Moving to Tenerife!

I have done lots of things i have qualifications in catering and in health and social care my husband also has catering experience and he is a fully qualified plumber and gas fitter!
Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks
I would say that your husband is very likely to get plenty of work ! There is a lack of good plumbers, and especially gas fitters. In my experience anyway
Old Apr 5th 2011, 5:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keep smiling
I would say that your husband is very likely to get plenty of work ! There is a lack of good plumbers, and especially gas fitters. In my experience anyway
Maybe cos they don`t have the Spanish qualifications.