Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain from USA

Moving to Spain from USA

Old Aug 14th 2016, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain from USA

Originally Posted by Keith S
The driving license is another matter for me and the wife. My GB license would have expired many moons ago. Any idea if it could be retrieved from Swansea and renewed? My wife took her test in Germany when I was there in the army and she never converted to a British one before we left for Australia.Can she take a test in Spain with no knowledge of the local language yet?

Unless you are past 70 years old then your driving licence will not have expired so you can apply for a replacement from DVLA. Once you've passed your test you have an entitlement to drive for life unless it is revoked by the courts or suspended by DVLA for medical reasons. In 1998 the DVLA started issuing photocard licences which have to be renewed every 10 years but I'd guess from your back story that you would have had a licence before that. Those old paper licences are valid until you are 70. If you are over 70 then you have to renew your licence every 3 years with a self-certifying health declaration.

Until Brexit actually happens you can choose to keep your UK licence or exchange for a Spanish licence - if you plan to settle in Spain then the latter option is obviously for you. After Brexit - who knows?
Old Aug 14th 2016, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlvyLad
Particular car (not sure about which engine it uses), but certainly will require catalyst converter fitted, as you don't have them as standard in US, should be around €1500 alone
I have to disagree with this. Alll US cars are manufactured with catalytic converters and have been for many years.

Agree that it would be much less hassle to sell the US car before leaving the states and buy a new one in Spain.

- Eric S.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

Thanks for that Eric. I thought that a modern car would have one. Especially a Mazda. Agree that the hassle may be too much but it is a shame as it is a great car.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith S
I think that we are now almost on the same page now. No need to be naturalised, already British citizens. We did gain Australian citizenship, but never renounced British. We do qualify for US citizenship this month, which we may, or may not, take up. But, again, would not renounce British citizenship. We are allowed to hold all three.
Back to the driving license thing - we can renew our Australian licenses from here and they are exchangeable for British ones, which we can then exchange for Spanish - phew. OK if all that works.
you do know if you take up US citizenship then you have to do annual returns to the IRS , no matter where in the world you live? The advantage is you would not have to worry with visas etc if you wanted at some time to go back to the States.
Re the UK DL. Yes, as DVLA keep records you can get a new one with no problem EXCEPT you must have a UK address - DVLA will not issue licences to non UK addresses. Just go to the DVLA website and look up renewing an expired DL. Then change it when in spain.
Good luck with your move!
Old Aug 15th 2016, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

If it is true that a UK DL can be recovered after falling from use, could the OP not obtain a DVLA certificate of entitlement for use in obtaining a Spanish DL? These papers are used following a missing DL when living abroad.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eric S
I have to disagree with this. Alll US cars are manufactured with catalytic converters and have been for many years.

Agree that it would be much less hassle to sell the US car before leaving the states and buy a new one in Spain.

- Eric S.
Yes. I owned a US car in the early 1970s and it was fitted with a catalytic converter. Almost an unknown concept in the UK.