Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain from USA

Moving to Spain from USA

Old Aug 12th 2016, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all
Default Moving to Spain from USA

We are planning a move to Spain from USA . We were both born and bred in England for thirty years then Thirty in Australia and now five years in the States. Just might be someone else on the forum who has made the same move. So, advice needed on bringing a car. Who did you use and approximate cost. Was it worth it? Car is only a year old. Also, while not planning to move all our stuff, we would like to pack a few (quite a few) boxes and move them from Florida to Alicante. Again an idea of cost, and who to use would be very helpful.
One extra - I have seen that the British driving license can be used in Spain, or exchanged for a Spanish one. Is it the same deal with a USA license?
Old Aug 13th 2016, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Spain from USA

Lots of questions which I cannot answer. But loads of folk will be able to. From what I have read none of your problems are unsurmountable notwithstanding Spanish practices
Old Aug 13th 2016, 1:46 am
Banned

AlvyLad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Keith,
I don't believe to able to answer everything, but planning own move, so here it is... (Best of my knowledge)
Originally Posted by Keith S
We are planning a move to Spain from USA . We were both born and bred in England for thirty years then Thirty in Australia and now five years in the States. Just might be someone else on the forum who has made the same move. So, advice needed on bringing a car.
Used vehicles to Import from US is nighmare!
It'll cost 10% of their evaluation of Import duty; +~20% vat.
The vehicles will need identity and safety check €120 at a nearest vehicle inspection station with appointments, paperwork, that could take 3 months.... And big chance, if it is not designed for EU market- it'll fail due to emissions, bumper hight, number or shape of lights etc... Better off to Import pre 1996(I think) vehicles, or European rare classics.
Who did you use and approximate cost. Was it worth it?
In UK we have specialized modifying-importing garages(few) for US made cars to be transormed to be suitable in for EU use and price normally double 's up...
Not worth it!
Car is only a year old.
Even less of a loss to sell and buy something lot more expensive, but ready to use as a car localy
Also, while not planning to move all our stuff, we would like to pack a few (quite a few) boxes and move them from Florida to Alicante. Again an idea of cost, and who to use would be very helpful.
Surpise! DHL is very reasonable for door to door in freight service for personal, non custom acsizesed items. Don't bring no beds or wardrobes?
One extra - I have seen that the British driving license can be used in Spain, or exchanged for a Spanish one. Is it the same deal with a USA license?
To drive- bit more expensive insurance, but US DL can be used, to exchange- nope! However, if you'd find your old UK licence- those are exchangeable at a cost of ~€40 + medical and other biurocratic hastle.

Hope of some use, surely others will fill the gaps further

Last edited by AlvyLad; Aug 13th 2016 at 1:55 am.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes agree, forget the car, will never be worth the hassle. Also you cannot exchange DL for a Spanish one, you need to obtain a UK one which can be exchanged for Spanish. Do not bring anything you do not desperately need or treasure, cheaper to buy here with guarantees etc.
Also you need to professional advice to arrange your tax affairs and get out of USA system and into Spanish system. Good luck.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a direct answer to the questions I accept, but I've had my current car (Spanish plates) for some 15 years. When I checked the original owner's manual I saw that it was bought in Fort Lauderdale Florida. Often wondered the story behind it finishing up here in Spain. Clearly someone thought it was worth it!
Tried some years back to contact the original owner, but without success.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but 15 years ago the regulations were probably non-existent!
Old Aug 13th 2016, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spainrico
Yes but 15 years ago the regulations were probably non-existent!
I'm sure they were similar, it wasn't exactly the dark ages you know! There have always been regulations in Spain.
Anyway, MY POINT was that they must have considered it worth cost to bring their car from the US over to Spain!
I'm curious that's all as to why they did and in fact 15 years ago was when I bought the car, it had been pre-owned here in Spain before that. You can probably guess that it's a few years old now.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

thanks for the advice guys. I believe that there is an allowance on the import taxes and vat if taxes have already been paid in country of origin. And if the car has been owned for a while and will not be sold for at least a year. Assuming that is right it still may not be worth the hassle and time. It is a lhd Mazda CX-9 so may not need much modification, if at all. I will do some more investigation and look at the options of buying in Spain while we are there in November checking out other things.
The driving license is another matter for me and the wife. My GB license would have expired many moons ago. Any idea if it could be retrieved from Swansea and renewed? My wife took her test in Germany when I was there in the army and she never converted to a British one before we left for Australia.Can she take a test in Spain with no knowledge of the local language yet?
Maybe we need to enter Spain by way of GB, get British passports and licenses there first.
Would appreciate any other opinions and advice.
Thanks Alvylad, I will check out DHL for the boxes. No furniture, no electrics, just bits and pieces the should fit into normal moving boxes. When we moved from Oz to US 5 years ago we only had 8 suitcases and paid the excess baggage which proved cheaper. Big job getting those in and out of the airport though.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

You need Spanish for the test! Includes written exam. Via GB sounds a good plan.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Leave the car would be my advice.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 4:40 pm
Banned

New or used vehicles Import taxes are different, but payable.
Particular car (not sure about which engine it uses), but certainly will require catalyst converter fitted, as you don't have them as standard in US, should be around €1500 alone, also US motors- engines in general don't have approx 30% of compression of EU rivals, could be impossible to do much about it, to get it approved for use in EU. Your dealer, that sold you the car, would be way more clued up on details.
That, beside, the other issues and I agree with everyone- not worth hassle, esp as similar cars in UK are not that much more expensive, weather new or used.

De D.L. is good to transfer/change to Es, as long as you able to prove your identity and other requirements for health and residency legitimacy (anywhere in EU, but application, need to be submitted to De officials in Germany).

In UK, she could only apply/ reapply for UK D.L. with proof of De D.L. ...
In order to change it again to Es... Perhaps she shouldn't be bothered before you'll be residing in Es and make a request from there(Es) to De?

As I see you contemplating moving to the UK only as temp, you got to be warned- it'll cost you loads more, than a car! It is way bigger deal with different languages, institutions, culture and costs, than let's say NY to LA and Alaska, especially as your naturalization papers and being out of employment age, will be shock to you to be accepted to reside in UK, although you are born, here etc.

Hope helps?

Last edited by AlvyLad; Aug 13th 2016 at 4:50 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

But, Alvylad, we are British citizens. We receive state pensions from this year. I served in the British army for 11 years. We are just coming home for a while. We shall obtain new British passports before we arrive. I assume the language is still the same as when we left 35 years ago.
Wife's German license went the same way as my British one. When they expired many years ago we discarded them.
So the current plan is to apply for British passports here in US and will probably need to re-take a driving test in UK and then exchange the licenses when we get to Spain. That is, of course, if we both pass!
Old Aug 13th 2016, 5:36 pm
Banned

But, Alvylad, we are British citizens. We receive state pensions from this year. I served in the British army for 11 years. We are just coming home for a while. We shall obtain new British passports before we arrive. I assume the language is still the same as when we left 35 years ago.
Wife's German license went the same way as my British one. When they expired many years ago we discarded them.
So the current plan is to apply for British passports here in US and will probably need to re-take a driving test in UK and then exchange the licenses when we get to Spain. That is, of course, if we both pass!
Being UK citizen (if you never acquired Au or US citizenship) is good decision as residency, even for one's born in UK is rather tedious process to be "naturalized".
It's not easy for UK citizens in Au or US either...

anw bit of guidance here
Naturalised Britons - The National Archives
Something like "habitual proof" is issue for Brits coming back from Spain etc
.................................................. ...................................
Regarding Licenses- actual paper ones- don't really matter, records of them are kept in both UK and De "DVLA" regardless.
.................................................. ................................
Edited, added:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...residency-test
Clearer about habitual Residency- only for Brits claiming benefits, not the naturalization papers.

Last edited by AlvyLad; Aug 13th 2016 at 6:05 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

I think that we are now almost on the same page now. No need to be naturalised, already British citizens. We did gain Australian citizenship, but never renounced British. We do qualify for US citizenship this month, which we may, or may not, take up. But, again, would not renounce British citizenship. We are allowed to hold all three.
Back to the driving license thing - we can renew our Australian licenses from here and they are exchangeable for British ones, which we can then exchange for Spanish - phew. OK if all that works.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 5:54 pm
Banned

I think that we are now almost on the same page now. No need to be naturalised, already British citizens. We did gain Australian citizenship, but never renounced British. We do qualify for US citizenship this month, which we may, or may not, take up. But, again, would not renounce British citizenship. We are allowed to hold all three.
Back to the driving license thing - we can renew our Australian licenses from here and they are exchangeable for British ones, which we can then exchange for Spanish - phew. OK if all that works.
Don't know anything regarding Au DL, but good move to keep up British citizenship, indeed!
Same goes for the move to the Es after, being UK citizen, it'll be so much easier, than if you'd be treated as US citizen.

Good news all-round, congrats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.