British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving to Spain soon, questions regards NIE and paying tax (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-spain-soon-questions-regards-nie-paying-tax-891090/)

andy1133 Feb 3rd 2017 9:05 pm

Moving to Spain soon, questions regards NIE and paying tax

I am going to be based in Spain soon, probably in Valencia City. I have been planning on making the move for many years, but with the looming EU/Brexit happenings, I thought the sooner, the better. Plus I ain't getting any younger!

I have n't lived in the UK properly for a few years but have remained tax resident. I have a UK LTD company with income sourced from within the UK and I do my self assessment, pay my National Insurance annually etc.

I have been careful not to spend more than 183 days in any other country but this year I will likely be in Spain for over this. I am assuming the 183 days (under Spanish law) is calculated from the tax year not calendar year?

Ideally I'd like to keep the Ltd company UK based, indeed it might be difficult not to keep it UK based in terms of the business relationships with UK based affiliate marketing companies who usually insist on publishers (me) having a UK LTD bank account.

I am thinking the best solution would be to pay my personal tax in Spain and corporate tax in the UK. Has anyone done this before? I guess essentially I will be living in Spain while working for a UK employer. I have an online business which is location independent, in terms of my physical presence.

I guess my long term fear is that if I don't go all in for getting Spanish residencia, paying tax there etc then this could have an impact on my ability to live there long term, if, for example the Brexit negotiations blocked Brits living in the EU. Of course no one knows for sure what will happen.

Finally, is getting an NIE straight forward if you are not employed in Spain? I have read various accounts which suggest it's easy and sometimes not so, depending on where you are settling! Valencia seems to be one of the tricky places according to a local expat FB group.

snikpoh Feb 4th 2017 7:21 am

Re: Moving to Spain soon, questions regards NIE and paying tax

Regarding tax - in Spain, the tax year IS the calendar year.

Getting an NIE has NOTHING to do with employment - you may be mistaking the NIE and your residency.

You can get an NIE in the UK if you wish. For residency, after 90 days you are obliged to sign on the list of foreigners. This will require private healthcare and proof of sufficient income or savings(in Spain).

lic Feb 4th 2017 7:24 am

Hi,
I googled this for you.
http://www.nie4spainonline.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAlNbEBRCv9uy4j4SWrgwSJAB5MqJF1GJI_hw xRiCF6vh0ZU35XF1NLJfc1FZiBFIAPzagxBoC-jfw_wcB
For your tax.
Google uk Spain tax treaty in English

Good luck
Lic

Fred James Feb 4th 2017 10:37 am

Don't use an online service as they charge you for doing something you can easily do yourself - the only problem is queueing! I suggest you sign on the register of foreigners at the same time, that way you avoid having to go twice.

andy1133 Feb 4th 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yea I probably should have Googled a bit more before asking as the answers are usually buried there somewhere!

I am in Mexico City currently, actually a couple of blocks from the Spanish Embassy, so might try and start the ball rolling there with an application for the NIE.

andy1133 Feb 7th 2017 7:06 pm

One more question.

Presumably if you register for NIE then you are very much on the Spanish Government's radar when it comes to being tax resident, e.g. they may suspect you are staying over 183 days and ask you to prove otherwise?

snikpoh Feb 8th 2017 5:56 am

Originally Posted by andy1133 (Post 12173747)
One more question.

Presumably if you register for NIE then you are very much on the Spanish Government's radar when it comes to being tax resident, e.g. they may suspect you are staying over 183 days and ask you to prove otherwise?

Non-residents can also have NIE's for such things as holiday homes etc.

What really counts are things like signing on the list of foreigners ( aka 'residencia') and being on the padron.

BEVS Feb 22nd 2017 12:23 am

Originally Posted by andy1133 (Post 12171084)
I am in Mexico City currently, actually a couple of blocks from the Spanish Embassy, so might try and start the ball rolling there with an application for the NIE.

I have always thought that Mesico City was not in New Zealand

In any case , the OP has left the building .