Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain in our 60's

Moving to Spain in our 60's

Old Jun 3rd 2018, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain in our 60's

If you do have any assets in Spain just remember to make out a Spanish will.You can opt for your wishes to be regarded as under the regulations of your birth country which will be stated as such on that will'Otherwise it will come under the regulations of Spanish inheritance i.e. you cannot disinherit your nearest & dearest.The Notario will also have it written that he is of a different nationality & it is being translated to you in your own language.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

A UK State Pension should be taxed in Spain not the UK? Crown pensions are only taxed in the UK as far as I am aware unless there has been some change a UK State Pension is not Crown Pension rather simply income?
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smithy73
OK once you have moved it is very important to register for residency and become a tax resident. My lawyer told me a while ago you can not take advantage of all of the inheritance tax, tax discounts in Valencia (do not assume that a property automatically transfers to a married partner with no tax to pay) if you are not resident in Spain (and thus at least one of you tax resident and the other a dependant) ! For example in the Valencia region - a Spouse is entitled to a €100000 tax exemption. You can live anywhere in Europe and be entitled to this. There is then a further €100000 tax exemption if you are a resident in Valencia!

Also the tax allowance is not like the UK, so don't think of it as such... It is NOT the first €5500 of income that isn't tax.... It is a deduction of the first €5500 of tax on your tax bill for the year, that you don't have to pay! There is a difference!

The UK state pension is always taxed in the UK, but a private pension, tax should be paid here in Spain and not the UK if you live here.
You do not want to risk the inheritance tax implications on your home, should something happen to one of you, for the sake of paying perhaps a €100 more a year tax. If fact if you are not an ex company CEO, you may find you pay less tax here on a modest private pension.
Unless I've misunderstood you, I think you are incorrect about the first €5500. I've checked my tax return and it does function as a personal allowance as in the UK.. reducing your gross taxable figure by that amount. Tax is then calculated on the net amount. It would be great if they cancelled the first €5500 of tax, but that would mean a personal tax allowance of €20000. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

This is quite a good link explaining medical information and considerations for moving to Spain.

Living in Spain | Healthcare in Spain
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 6:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, the UK state pension never has tax deducted in the UK. If you have additional income it is taken into account and may result in an increase in the tax paid on the other income. Other pensions will be taxed in the UK but if you go through the correct process with HMRC they will not be taxed in the UK. Whether you go through this process or not, they will all be taxed in Spain. If you end up paying tax in the UK you can offset it against any Spanish tax due on the same income.

The only allowances that are directly deducted from your basic income are a €2000 general allowance and a special low income allowance of up to €3700 but that rapidly reduces to zero when your income exceeds €14450.

The personal allowances (which increase with age) are treated differently. They are not deducted from income but the deduction is calculated against the lowest rate of tax and then deducted from the tax due.

It's a complicated calculation but the online tax program does it all for you and the tax is deducted in two instalments from your bank. I did my annual tax declaration this morning, online, and it took 10 minutes for two individual declarations.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 6:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
A UK State Pension should be taxed in Spain not the UK? Crown pensions are only taxed in the UK as far as I am aware unless there has been some change a UK State Pension is not Crown Pension rather simply income?
UK Government pensions (police etc) have to be declared in Spain. They are not added to your other income directly, but have to be declared as exempt income. This will result in a higher rate of tax being made on your other income. The amount will vary considerably depending on the amount of the exempt income and the amount of normal income.

If you have a significant Government pension and also have other pension or other income on top of your State pension then the additional tax can run into a few thousand.

This did not used to be the case but recent changes to the UK-Spain taxation treaty have changed this.

Last edited by Fred James; Jun 3rd 2018 at 6:11 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fred James
UK Government pensions (police etc) have to be declared in Spain. They are not added to your other income directly, but have to be declared as exempt income. This will result in a higher rate of tax being made on your other income. The amount will vary considerably depending on the amount of the exempt income and the amount of normal income.

If you have a significant Government pension and also have other pension or other income on top of your State pension then the additional tax can run into a few thousand.

This did not used to be the case but recent changes to the UK-Spain taxation treaty have changed this.
Thanks Fred I am aware of all you say. I posted my reply more to clarify the mistaken comment posted re UK State Pension being taxed in UK not Spain.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mustard
Unless I've misunderstood you, I think you are incorrect about the first €5500. I've checked my tax return and it does function as a personal allowance as in the UK.. reducing your gross taxable figure by that amount. Tax is then calculated on the net amount. It would be great if they cancelled the first €5500 of tax, but that would mean a personal tax allowance of €20000. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Quote > https://www.blevinsfranks.com/news/a...x-spain-part-1
Note that the allowances are not given as a deduction against income (as in the UK), but instead are given as a tax credit against the total tax payable.

Yes it seems more complicated than suggested, but it's still not a straight deduction against income https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/wp...ANCES-2017.pdf

Last edited by Smithy73; Jun 4th 2018 at 12:11 am.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smithy73
Quote > https://www.blevinsfranks.com/news/a...x-spain-part-1
Note that the allowances are not given as a deduction against income (as in the UK), but instead are given as a tax credit against the total tax payable.

Yes it seems more complicated than suggested, but it's still not a straight deduction against income https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/wp...ANCES-2017.pdf
Hi Smithy73, so looking at an example from the link you've quoted, the Spanish tax allowance given for a income of €13,250 is €3,387.50. Would you consider that better than the £11,800 personal allowance given to UK residents? Our combined personal tax allowance is currently £23,600. *****EDIT just seen the final tax calculation which suggests that an income of €19,450 would be taxed €2,500 (a marginal rate of 14.39%) which looks a lot better (Still nearly twice as much as in the uk for a similar income)*****

I accept that inheritance tax will be payable on Spanish property and the allowances are far lower than the £325,000 (ish) pp allowance in the UK. (ie as non resident = €0). So our heirs will have to pay inheritance tax on the value of our apartment. This is likely to be offset by the far greater allowances in the UK on our UK property and investments.

There is also the Spanish tax on savings & investments to consider. In the UK you have a £1000 allowance before tax is due on savings and a £2000 (was £5000) allowance on dividends. When you also add in the ability to hold your savings & investments within a tax free wrapper in the UK, such as an ISA, then the tax situation in Spain can become an important consideration.

Last edited by bolton wanderer; Jun 4th 2018 at 5:08 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

ShelleyJack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
What is the difference between a Crown pension and a State pension - I'm confused!>
Old Jun 4th 2018, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Can anyone recommend a good English speaking accountant in the Gandia region please?!
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShelleyJack
What is the difference between a Crown pension and a State pension - I'm confused!>
State pension is the one usually called 'old age pension' Crown pensions are those where people have served 'The Crown' i.e. police, Armed services, Civil Service etc. NOT the NHS, just people classed as 'in the service of the crown', so consular service etc. These are, by law, taxed in the UK and any tax you pay there is deducted from any tax you would have to pay in Spain, so you do not pay double tax.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mike
Old Jun 5th 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs
State pension is the one usually called 'old age pension' Crown pensions are those where people have served 'The Crown' i.e. police, Armed services, Civil Service etc. NOT the NHS, just people classed as 'in the service of the crown', so consular service etc. These are, by law, taxed in the UK and any tax you pay there is deducted from any tax you would have to pay in Spain,[/SPOILER] so you do not pay double tax.
If you pay tax in the UK on a Crown pension you cannot deduct the tax from your Spanish tax - it is never liable for tax in Spain so it cannot be double taxation.

Similarly, now that you have to declare the Crown pension in Spain, as it probably increases the overall tax bill, as it is not being directly taxed, again you cannot offset the UK tax against the increased tax in Spain.