Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain with non EU wife

Moving to Spain with non EU wife

Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Unluckyalf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain with non EU wife

Good morning all

I'm a hardened expat having lived in Russia and Ukraine for the last 10 years. I have work permit, residence and even a wife in Russia. Just one step away from citizenship which I'd rather not have.

I will stop work in the next 3-5 years and we want to retire to Spain. Thus I have a ton of questions, the like of which I'm used to seeing on Russian expat sites about moving there.

1 as a Brit I've seen conflicting info about the time I can spend there without residence. 3 or 6 months? Indeed, how do they know when you entered as there is no stamp in the passport?
2 I've read that the Soanish medical system is OK and so I'd rather use it than blowing money to the wind on health insurance. How do I get in it?

3 as I understand once I have my residency sorted my Russian wife can apply for residency?
What visa does she need to enter the country on? Is a normal tourist one OK?
Do we need to present information about income, marriage, medical insurance?

4 now onto property. I will have lots of questions on this later but one key one now. I know it depends on the property but what is the general rule of thumb on selling price versus advertised price. I've seen figures of minus 30% quoted. In Moscow the opposite happens. When someone expresses interest the price starts to go up! We are looking at Javea area.

Sorry to bombard you!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:32 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain with non EU wife

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:15 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unluckyalf
Good morning all

I'm a hardened expat having lived in Russia and Ukraine for the last 10 years. I have work permit, residence and even a wife in Russia. Just one step away from citizenship which I'd rather not have.

I will stop work in the next 3-5 years and we want to retire to Spain. Thus I have a ton of questions, the like of which I'm used to seeing on Russian expat sites about moving there.

1 as a Brit I've seen conflicting info about the time I can spend there without residence. 3 or 6 months? Indeed, how do they know when you entered as there is no stamp in the passport?
2 I've read that the Soanish medical system is OK and so I'd rather use it than blowing money to the wind on health insurance. How do I get in it?

3 as I understand once I have my residency sorted my Russian wife can apply for residency?
What visa does she need to enter the country on? Is a normal tourist one OK?
Do we need to present information about income, marriage, medical insurance?

4 now onto property. I will have lots of questions on this later but one key one now. I know it depends on the property but what is the general rule of thumb on selling price versus advertised price. I've seen figures of minus 30% quoted. In Moscow the opposite happens. When someone expresses interest the price starts to go up! We are looking at Javea area.

Sorry to bombard you!
The current situation - I say 'current' because things are changing rapidly....

1 As an EU citizen you can stay here as long as you like - you are required however, to register as resident at/before 3 consecutive months if you intend to live here. The '6 months' that you have heard about will be tax residency, which is something else entirely.

2 Yes, the state medical system is still good. To get into it, you either have to work & pay NI, or qualify under a reciprocal agreement - for instance, if you get a state pension from the UK (in your case), the UK will pay for your healthcare here. They have just introduced a 'buy-in' scheme, but you have to have been resident here for a year before you qualify.

3 Your wife can come on a tourist visa & apply for residency once here. I'm not sure what the requirements are for that, but I do know that YOU have to be registered first

4 I can't help with the buying of property.... but I've lived in Jávea for 10 years, so if you have any questions about my home town, ask away!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Unluckyalf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
The current situation - I say 'current' because things are changing rapidly....

1 As an EU citizen you can stay here as long as you like - you are required however, to register as resident at/before 3 consecutive months if you intend to live here. The '6 months' that you have heard about will be tax residency, which is something else entirely.

2 Yes, the state medical system is still good. To get into it, you either have to work & pay NI, or qualify under a reciprocal agreement - for instance, if you get a state pension from the UK (in your case), the UK will pay for your healthcare here. They have just introduced a 'buy-in' scheme, but you have to have been resident here for a year before you qualify.

3 Your wife can come on a tourist visa & apply for residency once here. I'm not sure what the requirements are for that, but I do know that YOU have to be registered first

4 I can't help with the buying of property.... but I've lived in Jávea for 10 years, so if you have any questions about my home town, ask away!

Great info. Thanks!