Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain - nearly 62 years of age ?

Moving to Spain - nearly 62 years of age ?

Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:23 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain - nearly 62 years of age ?

When I was made redundant I foned the JobCentre to clock on with them to get a base date, knowing full well they would come up with a revised date due to pay in lieu of notice etc. Spent 30 mins on fone going thru the form, at the end of which adviser said "I think that you would be better off with Pension Credit." Decided to give it a whirl - cos its more money (they say). Was transferred and had another 40 mins on the fone going thru all that i had already done. Then sat back and waited, but it was in hand, and waited and another department was looking into it, and waited. Their Service Level Agreement is max 10 weeks and when we got to the end of that time I foned up and told them I was claiming a "prize" due to their incompetence. Someone callled me back, apologised and said my papers were sitting on a colleagues desk (but I did it online!), did a rush job on it and they said that considering this money and that money blah de blah de blah they would be able to award me £5.00 per week. Not on top of anything - just £5.00 week. After a number of rows over the fone I managed to get a small "ex-gratia" payment for their incompetence.
Oh yes, and I got a job before my redundancy money ran out.

When dealing with DWP check, check and recheck again, it all depends on who you are dealing with on the day - just like HMRC.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:20 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Correct me if I am wrong but you need to be 18 to make contributions to your pension. So if you need 44 years you need to be 62 when you stop making contributions.

Davexf
Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:29 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

To get back to the OP's question. Yes, there are a million things to worry about at your age and the advice given is mostly correct, but if you just get on a plane with a suitcase and form EHIC, you'll be just fine. Wherever you land in Spain there will be many others like you, all living happily, 'on the edge' for a while.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Correct me if I am wrong but you need to be 18 to make contributions to your pension. So if you need 44 years you need to be 62 when you stop making contributions.

Davexf
You only need 33 years now.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Davexf
Young people can get free credits for the year you reach 16 and the following two years.

Assuming retirement age 65 then your "working life" is 49 years and you used to need a contribution of 44 years. It is now only 30 years.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:35 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think the 2 years you are referring to MAY be the 2 years (or up to 2 years) that are possible by using the old E106 (now part of the S1) form. This entitles people who are not yet of retirement age, to get reciprocal health care - but ONLY if their NI contributions are sufficient.

Contact the DWP and they will let yhou know what you are entitled to.
nope - I mean the EHIC card which as I said is meant for holidays, but many people DO use them to access 'emergency' healthcare here for the life of the card

I didn't say it was the right way of doing things - I just said that's what many people actually do
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:33 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
nope - I mean the EHIC card which as I said is meant for holidays, but many people DO use them to access 'emergency' healthcare here for the life of the card

I didn't say it was the right way of doing things - I just said that's what many people actually do
I met someone who had all his cancer treatment using only his EHIC but I felt that the family were as worried about this aspect as they were about the illness. Also they had to panic about having a will sorted out whilst he was in hospital undergoing the treatment.

Rosemary
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:47 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I met someone who had all his cancer treatment using only his EHIC but I felt that the family were as worried about this aspect as they were about the illness. Also they had to panic about having a will sorted out whilst he was in hospital undergoing the treatment.

Rosemary
exactly

until we can persuade my dad that becoming 'resident' doesn't mean he is changing nationality, he is having all his treatment with his EHIC & the temp SIP card which they gave us for him at the Centro de Salud

we're nearly there - we should regularise the situation in the next week or two

this wasn't planned - he came for a holiday, got sick, the doc here diagnosed the (apparently long standing yet previously undiagnosed in the UK) problem & told us he wasn't to travel - so he's stuck here!!

once he decided he actually wants to, rather than has to we started working on him to get the paperwork sorted out - I THINK we are nearly there
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:02 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
when did the 30yr contributions kick in as opposed to 45 years.My other left work due to ill health xmas of 09 we moved out here may 10. Just wonder when the new rules kicked in?

The new rules kicked in 2010. If you reach retirement age on or after APRIL 6TH 2010 they will apply to you and you will only need 30 years of NI (whaever your gender). Otherwise the old rules of 39/44 years apply.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:29 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
The new rules kicked in 2010. If you reach retirement age on or after APRIL 6TH 2010 they will apply to you and you will only need 30 years of NI (whaever your gender). Otherwise the old rules of 39/44 years apply.
so having achieved the 44 years I now find that only 33 will apply.
is this something to do with equalising men with women, who due to childbirth etc take 10-15 years "out of the system" ?
(that isnt a knock against women who take time out to bring up their family)

BUT i understand the new proposed single sum payment for pensions (£140) without any topups will not apply until 2015 (?) and will not apply to anyone retiring before that date.
So another stuttering step forward in pension equality, with thousands of people being paid the current lower rate until death.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:52 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
so having achieved the 44 years I now find that only 33 will apply.
is this something to do with equalising men with women, who due to childbirth etc take 10-15 years "out of the system" ?
(that isnt a knock against women who take time out to bring up their family)

BUT i understand the new proposed single sum payment for pensions (£140) without any topups will not apply until 2015 (?) and will not apply to anyone retiring before that date.
So another stuttering step forward in pension equality, with thousands of people being paid the current lower rate until death.
But if you continued at work you would have to pay NI, even if you had reached 30 years, you just can't stop paying it if you are working.

Many people will have far more than the required 30 years.

Women receiving Child Benefit and not working, or working and earning below the NI threshold, get credited with either years(under the old system) or NI contributions (under the new). This has been in place since the 1970s. So they should not lose out.

Last edited by scampicat; Jul 2nd 2011 at 8:54 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 2:19 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
But if you continued at work you would have to pay NI, even if you had reached 30 years, you just can't stop paying it if you are working.

Many people will have far more than the required 30 years.

Women receiving Child Benefit and not working, or working and earning below the NI threshold, get credited with either years(under the old system) or NI contributions (under the new). This has been in place since the 1970s. So they should not lose out.
I worked 41 years, and retired at 59, but I did know I would get the full state pension as the new rules and start date were publicised well in advance, I worked 41 years to ensure a full NHS pension which cicks in at 40 years, and hasn't changed.