Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain - looking for advice please

Moving to Spain - looking for advice please

Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

casablanca83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain - looking for advice please

Hi all,
My husband and I are moving to Southern Spain in Nov/Dec this year and I have a few questions I was hoping people could share their opinions on.

In terms of location, I like the sound of Estepona, although I've read about some nice areas near Malaga also. We will be working online, so not ties to a specific area. We are looking at starting a family when we move over there so a place where other young families live would be ideal - somewhere with a ice community, residential feel rather than 'holiday resort' feeling. We're interested in meeting both spanish and expats/other nationalities. We'd like to be near somewhere that's quite bustling, plenty to do etc

We're looking to improve our lifestyle and to be around people that live life to the feel, our ideal would be having a good group of friends that like to do activites, we can have bbq's with, etc.

I wanted to see what people thought about estepna for the kind of things we're looking for - or any other recommensations - and how best to meet up with new people.

I speak some Spanish (although will be doing more lessons before moving and my husband is alost fluent).

Thanks and look forward to hearing any advice you can offer.

CC
Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Spain - looking for advice please

Originally Posted by casablanca83
Hi all,
We're interested in meeting both spanish and expats/other nationalities. We'd like to be near somewhere that's quite bustling, plenty to do etc

CC
Estepona is a great city if you have a young family and children, no doubt about it.

But, based on your above requirements I think you are better off in Marbella. Any reasons why you haven't considered it?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

I suppose some of the main reasons were imagining that it's more 'holiday/tourist' focussed, more expensive, less young families etc.
But I have read aout some nice residential areas - I think Elviria was one - near Marbella, and it certainly has the buzz.
Are there areas of Marbella you would reccomend?
We're going next month to have a look..
Thanks for your reply
CC
Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Nothing beats good old leg work and personal research. Make a hit list of what your ideal place must contain, what would be nice, what you can live without and what you never want to be near, treat it like a check list and be realistic.

we all have our own opinions on places and people can tell you about their experiences but although your circumstances maybe similar they are not the same ie, type of social group, drinking preferences, restaurants etc.

Get yourself out for a week and look at it as a working holiday not a week by the pool, hire a car, pick up all the free papers and look at the local rental firms websites before hand. make a few appointments to view an assortment of properties in several areas of your choice and have a good scout around at what is available with reference to your hit list. You might even surprise yourself as to where you finally like than what you start off wanting. Do this sort of thing as often as you can I came out 6 times for about 3/4 days at a time before we moved and spent the whole time looking around at what was important to us, I used the bus system so if we were ever without a car I knew what the transport times were.

Take a good look at what you want to bring with you, that has a bearing on what type of property you will need, furnished, part furnished or unfurnished, if your looking to buy furniture etc after you arrive take a look at the shops at prices you may well get a shock as to how things are priced especially electrical goods.

Be practical and realistic is probably the key words, we all have a dream but you also have to be prepared for the odd nightmare as well. I wish you luck
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:29 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose some of the main reasons were imagining that it's more 'holiday/tourist' focussed, more expensive, less young families etc.
But I have read aout some nice residential areas - I think Elviria was one - near Marbella, and it certainly has the buzz.
Thanks for your reply
CC
Marbella is not as touristy as people think. Elviria has some new built apartments but it is mainly a residential villa area and popular with middle class spanish families. Did you decide against the USA?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Hi Jay
Thanks for this!
We're going for a week in May and planning on doing that to give us a good feel of what life would be like - we're looking for real life, real routines etc and not a year round holiday so the using the bus, visiting shops etc is all good advice.
Thanks
CC
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Hi Jacky
Thanks for this.
Yes USA is still a plan perhaps for 5-10 years down the line but in the end it didn't work out on business side of things and I think being in Spain, closer to UK when we're starting a family and being accessible family became more important the more we thought about it.
I'm certainly going to have a look at Elviria when we go over in May and around Marbella area.
Thanks again
CC
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

I think Elviria was one - near Marbella, and it certainly has the buzz.
Thanks for your reply
CC
There are a lot of nice residential communities around Elviria, Mijas etc. However for you at this time, I would suggest staying either in or around Marbella town itself or maybe San Pedro if you want a smaller town feel. Nueva Andalucia near Puerto Banus is another option. But, it's more expat.

You haven't started a family yet, so there is no reason to head off to the suburbs just yet. Find a place in one of these areas and rent for a year. They are not as expensive as you would assume.

The best thing about these towns is that you can get as Spanish or as expat as you want. The area is full of international restaurants, but also a lot of good Spanish places. The La Canada mall is close by for good shopping including a Marks and Spencers.

There is enough activity around in the area that you won't get bored, even in the winter, which I think is likely to happen if it's just the two of you without kids.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:34 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Used to live in Nueva andalucia in the 90's and loved it. Been spoiled by all the dubious Brits who now live there and the overbuilding. Saw there was another British shooting incident there last week. At least 5 to my knowledge over the past 7 years or so.