Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain - Jobs speaking English

Wikiposts

Moving to Spain - Jobs speaking English

Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Helz1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain - Jobs speaking English

Hey, I'm Helen, I'm 25 and since I was 18 I have been out of England. I have lived in LA, Florida and right now I live in Toronto. I have just found out I cannot renew my visa for Toronto so I have to leave in October, the plan was to stay for one more year then go to Australia and as a hobby learn spanish so once my Australian visa is up I could go to Spain...so now I have to change my plans and would like to go to Spain in October instead of going back to England. I am assuming the best place to go would be Benidorm because the majority of people speak English but does anyone have any connections for jobs? I would feel more comfortable if I had a job before I left.

Has anyone got any advice? btw I plan to take a basic spanish course for the next couple of months before I leave.

Last edited by Helz1987; Jun 13th 2012 at 5:28 am. Reason: added info
Old Jun 13th 2012, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain - Jobs speaking English

Originally Posted by Helz1987
Hey, I'm Helen, I'm 25 and since I was 18 I have been out of England. I have lived in LA, Florida and right now I live in Toronto. I have just found out I cannot renew my visa for Toronto so I have to leave in October, the plan was to stay for one more year then go to Australia and as a hobby learn spanish so once my Australian visa is up I could go to Spain...so now I have to change my plans and would like to go to Spain in October instead of going back to England. I am assuming the best place to go would be Benidorm because the majority of people speak English but does anyone have any connections for jobs? I would feel more comfortable if I had a job before I left.

Has anyone got any advice? btw I plan to take a basic spanish course for the next couple of months before I leave.
Getting a job before you leave may not be that easy. People here often like to see you 'face to face' as it were.
The costas such as Benidorm, Alicante, Valencia etc are full of 'ex pats' from all over Europe.
Depends on what you like really. If you feel more adventurous & prefer to experience "Spain other than the costas", then look at Galicia, Cantabria, Pais Vasco, Salamanca, Valladolid, or even Madrid for teaching English.

Rents are about €5-600 per month, tho' you can find cheaper of course. Cost of living is more or less on a par with UK.

Sorry, can't be more help.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 6:43 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

There is very little work in Spain at all. It has mass unemployment and the country is in the midst of a financial crisis. Sadly if there is any work to be found, you'd probably need to be there and queuing up with the rest. Bare in mind there are some desperate people there needing work

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Jun 13th 2012 at 6:47 am.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

My spanish friend has just gone to UK to find a job as she found no joy in Spain.
Has secured a job in UK and is over the moon about it after being three years without one.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:49 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
Getting a job before you leave may not be that easy. People here often like to see you 'face to face' as it were.
The costas such as Benidorm, Alicante, Valencia etc are full of 'ex pats' from all over Europe.
Depends on what you like really. If you feel more adventurous & prefer to experience "Spain other than the costas", then look at Galicia, Cantabria, Pais Vasco, Salamanca, Valladolid, or even Madrid for teaching English.

Rents are about €5-600 per month, tho' you can find cheaper of course. Cost of living is more or less on a par with UK.

Sorry, can't be more help.
Depending on the OP's education they may also consider further study in Spain, where there'll be work and less debt in England (according to the comment on this article, although best to check this out )

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...mment-16601462

The cost of a linguistics masters in Spain is 2,000 euros compared to 10,000 in most UK institutions. I put myself through university by teaching EFL; you can live a relatively comfortable life working only 15 hours a week and still have time to study. All you need to do is a four week CELTA course to get the basic teaching certificate. It costs about 1,000 euro but I've definitely got a good return on my investment! I have £14,000 worth of debt for my undergrad course in the UK but I'll actually be finishing my MA with money in the bank.