Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to spain help required 3 main questions. thank you.

moving to spain help required 3 main questions. thank you.

Old Jul 17th 2018, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Lloyd57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to spain help required 3 main questions. thank you.

Hi to everyone

My wife and I are moving to Spain this year 2018. I am 57 and in part retirement so will be doing a small amount of consultancy marketing work with UK companies to cover the house running costs so only generating 500 – 600 euros per month.

3 main questions:

Question 1
I plan to pay into the Spanish NHS via a Convenio Especial but my wife is a Spanish National so do I still have to cover myself privately to have 1 years residency?

Question 2
If I register as self-employed but only earn up to 600 euros per month do I still have to pay 250 euros per month into the Spanish social security system?

Question 3
Can anyone recommend an accountant for sole trader tax returns.

Thank you J
Old Jul 17th 2018, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to spain help required 3 main questions. thank you.

I cannot answer 1 and 2. Try getting a recommended Gestor
Old Jul 17th 2018, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

A gestor should be able to help you with all your questions
Old Jul 17th 2018, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lloyd57
Hi to everyone

My wife and I are moving to Spain this year 2018. I am 57 and in part retirement so will be doing a small amount of consultancy marketing work with UK companies to cover the house running costs so only generating 500 – 600 euros per month.

3 main questions:

Question 1
I plan to pay into the Spanish NHS via a Convenio Especial but my wife is a Spanish National so do I still have to cover myself privately to have 1 years residency?

Question 2
If I register as self-employed but only earn up to 600 euros per month do I still have to pay 250 euros per month into the Spanish social security system?

Question 3

Thank you J
It's worthwhile double-checking but if you are married to a Spanish citizen you should have direct access to the Social Security medical services.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Being married to a Spanish citizen did not at one time give you automatic access as it is based on making contributions, not residency (unlike the UK) but the new government is changing a lot of rules so best to take professional advice. One thing is certain however anyone registering as self-employed or 'autonomo' will be obliged to make contributions - the amount of which depends on various factors. Spain has the highest contribution rate of any European country.

Recommendation on accountant etc will depend upon your location.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Rob.
We will be within 1 hour from Malaga airport in Andalucia Province.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lloyd57 - sorry not my area, I am sure someone will help.

Or see here

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ist-of-lawyers
Old Jul 17th 2018, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to everyone

3 main questions:

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Thank you J
Regarding the Spanish NHS, my wife is Basque (Spanish) and so I am included on her medical application. Here, fantastic service. Prescriptions cost peanuts.
So hopefully, it'll be the same for you.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to everyone

3 main questions:

Question 1

I don't know what changes for residency if you are married to a Spanish national. I would guess if your wife is not currently working in Spain or a pensioner, you would need private health insurance in the 1st year, although not sure.

Question 2

If you register as Autonomo there is a discounted period and then the social security payment is €290 a month as you will be economically active. The payment is tax deductible, but you will have no tax to pay on that amount anyhow. If you register as an Autonomo, you pay the social security payment regardless of whether you make any money! The payment gives you and your wife health cover.

If for example you are paid a salary in the UK for this amount, you could just declare the amount as a salary earned from a UK company... and again there is no tax to pay on this amount in the UK (you would claim it back anyhow from the UK, as being a tax resident in Spain) and there is no tax to pay on this amount here in Spain either.
Don't forget that you need to declare any income you get from the UK, after you become tax resident here - 2019

Question 3

Any good Gestor really

Thank you J
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Hi Smithy
Thank you.
Paying 290 euros per month if I am only getting 500 euros per month is crazy.

Can I not just keep the business as tax registered in the UK?
There must be a get around but I want to keep things legal.
Lloyd
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

You can keep a LTD company registered and operating in the UK yes, but from 2019 you will be a tax resident in Spain as an individual. Both things are independent. You can be a company director and a shareholder and tax resident in another country, you just need to declare your income.
Keep in mind that it will cost you £1000-2000 to run this UK company in accountancy fees and insurance. Then you will need to pay for healthcare on top of this in Spain
There is no tax to pay on the income that you mention, but is this really cheaper?
Old Jul 18th 2018, 11:03 am
Just Joined

All food for thought.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Keep in mind that owning a limited company in the UK and that company paying you a salary that you then declare in Spain is acceptable.

Just being registered as self employed in the UK, when most of the work has been carried out remotely in Spain or you are tax resident in Spain is not acceptable.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Not exactly helping any entrepreneurs then !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.