Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to a spain with children.

Moving to a spain with children.

Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to a spain with children.

My children went into state school at 6 and 10 we had a year of Spanish lessons before we moved but they really didn't try to learn Spanish before they moved and therefore had no Spanish. The first year was hard, my husband also worked away so I was alone but we survived but I did spend every night and weekend struggling with homework with the children. My daughter has just completed bachi and my son is in the final year of ESO. My one regret at the time is that we didn't enroll them into an after school academy for extra help that first year it would have made life that much easier all round, a lot less arguments about homework and the children would have had more time to play in the street and make new friends Last year I finally persuaded them to go to an academy for some subjects they were weak in (chemistry and maths at bachi is well outside my comfort zone) and it helped them so much that they both say they wish they had gone before. It took the children 6 months to learn street Spanish but a lot longer to settle into academic Spanish and even now we do know there are gaps in their language just the odd word or idiom but nothing that prevents them from being fully integrated, my sons first language is now Spanish as he has learnt in Spanish since he was 6 so English spelling has to be thought about.