British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving to Spain - Calpe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-spain-calpe-889624/)

Nigel69 Jan 5th 2017 1:25 pm

Moving to Spain - Calpe

Hi Everyone, me, my wife and 2 children (10 and 15 currently) are wanting to move to Spain when my middle son of 15 finishes school next year. We are wanting to move to the Calpe area as we have found it a great mix of new and old in both Calpe/Altea and surrounding areas.

We are coming out to stay for a month this August to try out the lifestyle a little longer, 2 or 3 weeks Holiday and 1 or 2 weeks working. I currently work for a Car Hire company which is ran from the UK but hires cars in Portugal, why not Portugal you say? I prefer the Spanish language and have always holidayed somewhere in Spain.

With regards to accommodation we would be renting the first 2-3 years and renting our house our in the UK to make sure we were all happy with our decision and then sell up and perhaps buy in Spain.

I wanted to ask ask about how my work would pay me, ie: UK company but for a Car Hire company in Portugal, would they just carry on employing me as I am (I work from home most of the time). At present I pay tax and NI to the UK. I would like to be a citizen and pay the Spanish equivalent so that me any my family can use the health service as normal etc (had a heart attack 5 years ago).

My second thoughts would be are my youngest son who will be 11 and just about to go up to Comprehensive school, I understand there are private and state run schools in Spain, we couldn't afford private so I wondered how hard it would be to get him into a Spanish/English teaching school?

Please feel free to give me as many pointers as possible as this is literally my first venture into emigrating. I'm pretty sure there will be many more questions forthcoming!

Loafing Along Jan 5th 2017 2:21 pm

Re: Moving to Spain - Calpe

Originally Posted by Nigel69 (Post 12143286)
Hi Everyone, me, my wife and 2 children (10 and 15 currently) are wanting to move to Spain when my middle son of 15 finishes school next year. We are wanting to move to the Calpe area as we have found it a great mix of new and old in both Calpe/Altea and surrounding areas.

We are coming out to stay for a month this August to try out the lifestyle a little longer, 2 or 3 weeks Holiday and 1 or 2 weeks working. I currently work for a Car Hire company which is ran from the UK but hires cars in Portugal, why not Portugal you say? I prefer the Spanish language and have always holidayed somewhere in Spain.

With regards to accommodation we would be renting the first 2-3 years and renting our house our in the UK to make sure we were all happy with our decision and then sell up and perhaps buy in Spain.

I wanted to ask ask about how my work would pay me, ie: UK company but for a Car Hire company in Portugal, would they just carry on employing me as I am (I work from home most of the time). At present I pay tax and NI to the UK. I would like to be a citizen and pay the Spanish equivalent so that me any my family can use the health service as normal etc (had a heart attack 5 years ago).

My second thoughts would be are my youngest son who will be 11 and just about to go up to Comprehensive school, I understand there are private and state run schools in Spain, we couldn't afford private so I wondered how hard it would be to get him into a Spanish/English teaching school?

Please feel free to give me as many pointers as possible as this is literally my first venture into emigrating. I'm pretty sure there will be many more questions forthcoming!

As you intend to stay more than six months you will need to go through the complete process of :
1. Apply for an NIE - that is your Tax Identity Number, previously known as "Extranjero " ( Foreigner ) identity number.
2. Register at the police station on the Foreegners Residence Register

3. You will need to show you have sufficient income not to be "a burden to the state" - the exact amount seems to vary from region to region but a few thousand pounds in a bank account and a credit card with a healthy limit is normally sufficient
4. You will need private medical cover of some sort for at least the first year.
5. Once past the magic 183 days you become effectively a tax resident in Spain and they tax your worldwide income so, in theory, your UK employer would start to pay you gross and you have to declare that income here.
6. You should look at becoming self-employed in Spain , an "Autonomo" as this will enable you to make various work-related deductions and could be beneficial in your situation.It may be complicated by the fact that you have only one employer and it may not be necessary if your current employer agrees to continue to pay you as a non-UK resident employee.
7. As an Autonomo you can then make contributions to the Spanish Social Security and thereby enter the SS medical services.
8. Suggest you do not give-up making at least Class 3 (?) contributions in the UK as this will maintain the possibility of receiving a pension in the UK. Spanish state pension requires a minimum of 15 years contributions for the most basic pension.

snikpoh Jan 5th 2017 3:50 pm

I would also add that it may be better for your 11 year old to repeat year 6 at primary unless he has a GOOD grasp of Spanish and Valencia already.

There really are no Spanish AND English schools unless you go private.

Depending upon your child, after a year in primary, he should be able to cope with ESO (hopefully).

@loafing along - the NIE is still called National Number for Foreigners (it hasn't changed). Your Tax Identity Number is something different but you need an NIE (which is the same as your NIF - fiscal number) for any financial transactions as you say.

Loafing Along Jan 5th 2017 3:57 pm

@loafing along - the NIE is still called National Number for Foreigners (it hasn't changed). Your Tax Identity Number is something different but you need an NIE (which is the same as your NIF - fiscal number) for any financial transactions as you say.[/QUOTE]

You are quite right , my error although they are one and the same thing

Rosemary Jan 5th 2017 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nigel69 (Post 12143286)

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Nigel69 Jan 16th 2017 6:58 pm

Hi and thank you for the info, just sorting my first month in Spain as we speak for this August (might as well jump in at the hot end (no air-con). Just opened a Sabadell account for starters.