Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to Spain: best spots around Malaga (up to 50km)

moving to Spain: best spots around Malaga (up to 50km)

Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

imissun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Spain: best spots around Malaga (up to 50km)

so after some research I decided that my first step into the Spain's sole would be Malaga and/or cities/towns nearby.
My decision is heavily influenced by Malaga's airport and connections to London and my 'old country' too. Logistics won, for many reasons, also financial.
I hope to eventually move to another place after first year or so, but maybe I will stay longer. I did visit Malaga, and I love it, it's beautiful city with character. Although I am moving out of London, and I don;t won't to live in the city, either outskirts of town, or some zona tranquilla or little town nearby, or bigger town like Velez-Malaga. One thing is certain, because my life curved and I am going solo, I want to have access to bars, restaurants, music, night life. Hence my question about cities towns, villages (?) nearby.
Any comments welcome, I know already Velez-Malaga is great place to be (thanks to some nice folks on this forum), but I would gladly listen to other people's opinion about the area.
kindly thank you in advance
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Spain: best spots around Malaga (up to 50km)

At one point you say you dont want to be a city, but another you say you want bars, music and night life

In a way, night life is everywhere in Spain, but Malaga offers heaps more than anywhere around it. And once you get to the Costa Del Sol tourist areas, it can be very tacky

I would advise one of the outskirts of Malaga i.e. Pedregalejo or El Palo. Lovely neighbourhoods next to the beach, village atmosphere but 20 minute walk to the city centre

Or at the other end, go and live in the centre of Marbella which is a very relaxed city

The other towns are either really boring or really touristy, but of course are much cheaper that the areas I have mentioned
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:47 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts are that if it ain't touristy it ain't worth the effort, everything from Soho to Wensleydale is touristy in the UK. Speaking from personal experience and desire, compromise is the name of the game. I like to be beachfront but without the package tour hotels and holiday apartment complexes, this would lead me to look beach side of the coast road from La Cala southwards, there are a plethora of privately owned apartments and a few gold crown timeshare complexes, beachfront villas are as rare as hen's teeth, and are expensive when discovered.

Second line beachside of the coast road is still good and a bit cheaper, but I would resist tother side of the road, infact things are a lot cheaper alongside the motorway, I wonder why.

Good hunting.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

We do get tourists here, you know, just not as many nor of the same type as the beach resorts tend to attract! Have a look at some of the reviews for a hotel in town, not so much as for what they think of the hotel, but about the town itself:-

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...Andalucia.html

Some of the photos on this site might explain why:-

http://www.detodalavilla.es/index.php
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricketman
At one point you say you dont want to be a city, but another you say you want bars, music and night life
I know it seems contradiction
but would leaving in outskirts of town, let's say up to 5km, can possible give you both ?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Not really sure what you want, you don't want city but want nightlife, in an earlier post you said,
- silence (I have enough of London's noise)
- nature (I really miss it...) view on sea and mountains - very recommended

So, somewhere with nightlife, nature, silence? At a loss what to suggest,tbh. Somewhere in the campo within reach of town/city with nightlife? It's going to be a compromise wherever you end up.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:51 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Not really sure what you want, you don't want city but want nightlife, in an earlier post you said,
- silence (I have enough of London's noise)
- nature (I really miss it...) view on sea and mountains - very recommended

So, somewhere with nightlife, nature, silence? At a loss what to suggest,tbh. Somewhere in the campo within reach of town/city with nightlife? It's going to be a compromise wherever you end up.
They have beach parties on the nudist beach at Puerto Cabopino, but having said that it would help if you're a gay guy.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

my situation has changed, as life goes on, so my love to nature has to be curbed by other conditions.
and unfortunately I am only into females)
Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by imissun
my situation has changed, as life goes on, so my love to nature has to be curbed by other conditions.
and unfortunately I am only into females)
Whoops, several of the forum bores have been tap dancing on the report button because I posted the words 'gay guy', I must try harder not to upset their sensitivities.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crookesey
Whoops, several of the forum bores have been tap dancing on the report button because I posted the words 'gay guy', I must try harder not to upset their sensitivities.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:22 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why It's very well known as a gay area...could have been useful for someone. Do we have to reinvent history now FFS. Here is first one of hundeds on google

Beaches and gay beaches in Torremolinos and the Costa del Sol

http://www.costagay.com/Gay%20beache...%20and%2...‎

Cabopino (Nudist Gay Beach) Benalmadena Costa (Benalnatura Nudist). Torremolinos has miles of the best beaches in Spain, The main beach areas of ...

Last edited by jackytoo; Jan 11th 2014 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I don't understand why
Nor do I. Seemed pretty innocuous to me.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imissun
I know it seems contradiction
but would leaving in outskirts of town, let's say up to 5km, can possible give you both ?
There are plenty of large villages/small towns approx 5 to 6 thousand people where there is hardly a week that goes by when there is not a fiesta and dancing/music goes on outside into the early hours of the morning, enough eating places and places to drink, but to those not in the know some would look like an ordinary house until the door is open. But these are places where mainly the Spanish live, they know how to enjoy themselves. Would that be a place that would interest you? Up to one hours drive into Malaga, many places it would be less, all have regular buses to Malaga Town, beaches and the Airport.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 3:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I don't understand why It's very well known as a gay area...could have been useful for someone. Do we have to reinvent history now FFS. Here is first one of hundeds on google

Beaches and gay beaches in Torremolinos and the Costa del Sol

http://www.costagay.com/Gay%20beache...%20and%2...‎

Cabopino (Nudist Gay Beach) Benalmadena Costa (Benalnatura Nudist). Torremolinos has miles of the best beaches in Spain, The main beach areas of ...
I just got a flag saying so many forum members had reported my post, I reckon that the flag appears on auto after a minimum number of report hits. I also reckon that I could name every one of the complainants, there are some real prats on this and every other forum, such is life.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a flag saying so many forum members had reported my post, I reckon that the flag appears on auto after a minimum number of report hits. I also reckon that I could name every one of the complainants, there are some real prats on this and every other forum, such is life.
How come you have got a flag and I haven't? Never seen one of those! I doubt I could name them all, but I know one it certainly isn't, and like you could have a good guess at a couple of the others. One racing certainty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.