Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain....From the Beginning

Moving to Spain....From the Beginning

Old Sep 16th 2018, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

laura10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Spain....From the Beginning

Hi Everybody,

I have just registered and would like some guidance on what to obtain to live in Spain.
I am looking to move around March next year, will be .buying a house. I have read about obtaining an NIE number and Padron. However, the information is different depending on where I am reading the information. I would greatly appreciate help in letting me know what I need and how to get these things done please. The goal is to move as with a good knowledge and how to get the things done.

Thank you
Laura
Old Sep 16th 2018, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain....From the Beginning

Probably the best thing you can do is to read back on the various posts from the members here and use the search options to target specific info. Much of the info has already been discussed and posted. Then enquire on some of the finer points at your leisure. Meanwhile I am sure others will give you some pointers.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Yes thanks Jonboy.

I am going thru all the links to get as much infor as possible. However, some is conflicting and wanted to make sure I get as much info as I can.

I have not however, found anything that explains the difference between being a resident and staying a non resident
Old Sep 17th 2018, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

A resident is a person who has gone through the process of obtaining the necessary paperwork etc to become a legal resident of Spain. A non resident is someone who has not done the above.

To become a legal resident you will need to obtain an NIE number and apply for your residencia. You will need to prove to the authorities that you have full healthcare cover for yourself and all dependants and enough income being paid regularly into a Spanish bank account to prove to the authorities that you will not become a burden on the state.

You will have up to 90 day from arriving in Spain to register on the foreigners register and obtaining your NIE number and residency card. After 183 days of living in Spain you will automatically become tax residents and are required to pay taxes to the Spanish tax man instead of HMRC. You will be required to fill in the Modelo 720 form to declare your total worldwide wealth including amounts in bank accounts and any property ownership in any country in the world.

There is no benefits system here as in the UK.

You can register on the Padron once you have become a resident and got a permanent address by either renting or buying a property. The Padron is a register of permanent residents in that area.

You can obtain your NIE number by visiting the National Police station in your area along with all the forms and other documents required plus payment.

If you are thinking about finding work out here you may struggle as any decent employment here you will need to speak fluent Spanish. A lot of menial jobs won't pay enough to cover the cost of rent.

Rent here (in Benidorm) for a 2 bed apartment is around €500 per month plus electric.

Brexit may open a can of worms and requirements for living in Spain legally may be different.

Food for thought.

Steve

Last edited by tebo53; Sep 17th 2018 at 5:50 am.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes lots of good info on this forum but suggest you also look here

https://www.gov.uk/world/living-in-spain
Old Sep 17th 2018, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much guys for your info below.

I didn't realise that I could apply for my NIE here! My dilemma is course whats going to happen after Brexit. My original plan was to come go to Spain in March 19 and rent until I found somewhere to buy. However, this has now put me in a position as to whether to jump on a plane, rent, and get everything sorted before end of March or wait until after Brexit.
The info below helps me to put everything in perspective. I may be naive but finding somewhere to rent and go thru the process of NIE will be the first step and then come back here to sort in the UK and then go back to the rented accommodation to search for properties and then get the Padron and now I know of course that I will be a resident as apposed to non resident. It does sound easy to do........but is it?
Spainrico, I will certainly read the link you sent - thankyou. tebco53 thank you for all the info.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I know it all seems confusing but 1,000s have done it!
Old Sep 17th 2018, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Vitalite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by laura10
Yes thanks Jonboy.

I am going thru all the links to get as much infor as possible. However, some is conflicting and wanted to make sure I get as much info as I can.

I have not however, found anything that explains the difference between being a resident and staying a non resident
Nor I. It is confusing. There doesn't appear to be any answers out there to some of my questions either.

Can you be a 'resident' without being a 'tax resident'? (which I believe you are if you spend 183 days or more in Spain)?
Old Sep 17th 2018, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalite
Nor I. It is confusing. There doesn't appear to be any answers out there to some of my questions either.

Can you be a 'resident' without being a 'tax resident'? (which I believe you are if you spend 183 days or more in Spain)?
no you can't be a legal resident without eventually becoming a tax resident after 183 days.

You will always find answers to your questions on this forum. If you ask specific questions you will get quality advice.

Steve
Old Sep 17th 2018, 9:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The question of what exactly does residency mean crops up regularly and is very confusing.

The only legal form of residency is fiscal or tax residency which happens automatically when you spend more that 183 days in Spain in one calendar year.

However, the law says that you must register on the list of foreigners after 90 consecutive days in Spain. This is because EU law says that, although you have the right of movement within the EU, you do not have the right to stay longer than 90 days as a tourist.

So, after 90 days, you lose your tourist status and have to apply for permission to stay for more than 90 days. That does not necessarily make you a resident from a legal point of view, it just means that you have the right to stay for more than 90 days. If you continue to stay, legally, in Spain long enough, you will be deemed tax resident after you exceed the 183 day rule.

Once you have spent 5 years living in Spain legally, you automatically gain the right, under EU and Spanish law, to reside permanently in Spain, irrespective of what happens with Brexit, as that is Spanish and EU law and Brexit cannot alter that.

Last edited by Fred James; Sep 17th 2018 at 10:05 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Thank You for outlining what 'residency' means.

When you say that we must register on the list of foreigners after 90 consecutive days - is that the NIE or Padron? My understanding is that NIE is needed to buy and or open a bank account. Registering on the Padron as stated by Tebo53 is done after the 183 days? Apologies if I have miss-interpreted the info!

As Spainrico points out - thousands have done this! For me Brexit has put a spanner in the works and feel that I need to get to Spain to sort everything out before end of March 19. My gut feeling is that it will be more of a hassle to be able to move afterwards.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

I have been reading the website Spainrico suggested It gives info on Residency, NIE, Padron as well as Health Cover. Also Translators and Lawyers. Answers alot of my questions thank you!

Vitalite - if you haven't already, go into the link - has excellent info!
Old Sep 18th 2018, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Laura 10.....I said you should get your Padron after you become a resident and have a permanent address either by renting or purchase. I didn't say you had to wait for the 183 days.

I know there is a lot of information to take in but you must read all the information given to you very carefully so to avoid any misunderstanding .

Steve
Old Sep 18th 2018, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

No - being resident obligates being tax resident.

Glad you found the other site useful.

These issues are always confusing for new people but they all work themselves out.

Last edited by spainrico; Sep 18th 2018 at 6:42 am.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 6:40 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laura10
When you say that we must register on the list of foreigners after 90 consecutive days - is that the NIE or Padron? .
You have to register with the National Police. They will need proof of sufficient income and health cover. If you have not already got an NIE, they will issue one as part of the registration procedure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.