Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to spain from another eu country

moving to spain from another eu country

Old Jan 17th 2021, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to spain from another eu country

Originally Posted by DLC
So... I guess the only advantage starting from Portugal with permanent residency and applying elsewhere in the EU for residency would be you could return to Portugal within five years and continue with Portuguese permanent residency under the withdrawal agreement conditions.
That's true. Withdrawal Agreement limits you to just one EU state where you can exercise your rights.

Last edited by Joppa; Jan 17th 2021 at 12:36 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Investment is one thing but buying property doesn't mean that person is better for the economy, although that's a different story. It's still a gateway to free movement:
Well, if you call 500 000€ free

No but my point was, this route already existed for third country nationals, as a parallel-but-different route for those who never had FoM. FoM isn't the only way to move around Europe, it just makes it easier for the average person who doesn't have loadsa dosh or a sought-after skill or talent but wants to experience living and working in another EU country than their own. Brits don't have that any more bit they have the same options as other TCNs always had. .

Old Jan 17th 2021, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Well, if you call 500 000€ free

No but my point was, this route already existed for third country nationals, as a parallel-but-different route for those who never had FoM. FoM isn't the only way to move around Europe, it just makes it easier for the average person who doesn't have loadsa dosh or a sought-after skill or talent but wants to experience living and working in another EU country than their own. Brits don't have that any more bit they have the same options as other TCNs always had. .
I never said that and only said it's a gateway to free movement. Those who don't have the money will just have to look at other options, be it working in Ireland to gain citizenship, or maybe learn skills that allow you to live in Spain.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I never said that and only said it's a gateway to free movement. Those who don't have the money will just have to look at other options, be it working in Ireland to gain citizenship, or maybe learn skills that allow you to live in Spain.
I agree with what you're saying, I'm not arguing with the facts, it's just that to me none of this adds up to a gateway to free movement. It's a way of moving. But the great value of FoM was that there were minimal hoops, you had automatic rights as long as you met a few basic conditions. Visas are fine, moving via Ireland is fine, it gets you there but... it's not free movement.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Onward freedom of movement is something that I and many others were campaigning for after the dreaded referendum. Various ideas were floated but the UK government were obstructive and nothing materialised.

Freedom of movement is a massive loss and all the alternatives fall well short.

I would urge people to thoroughly check their ancestry to make absolutely sure as to whether or not they are eligible for an EU passport. Many in the UK have Irish roots.

Sadly, there are no easy solutions now.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 7:15 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

And those of us with Scottish ancestry should start campaigning for indyref2...
Old Jan 17th 2021, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
And those of us with Scottish ancestry should start campaigning for indyref2...
Too right. There are many of us backing you all the way!