Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain advice/company

Moving to Spain advice/company

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

thompson1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain advice/company

Are there any companies here in the uk who can offer advice about areas in Spain and properties available we are considering a move
To Spain and also open a business their and would like to sit down with someone to discuss our needs and requirements and to get some advice on areas etc
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

thompson1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Spain advice/company

Sorry forgot to say we are in the north east
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum thompson1

I don't know of any companies that offer this type of advice anywhere in the UK unless they have a vested interest which will hardly be impartial.

You could search the numerous threads on the subject that have appeared recently on this forum.

Good luck
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thompson1
Are there any companies here in the uk who can offer advice about areas in Spain and properties available we are considering a move
To Spain and also open a business their and would like to sit down with someone to discuss our needs and requirements and to get some advice on areas etc
Can I just make one comment, and be the first to advise you.. DON'T. Unless you have a very niche business, i.e. not relying on tourists, not a bar or restaurant, not a gift shop idea. These are opening and closing as fast as they can, very few last more than 6 months. Most of the business premises are leasehold, and they will do anything to get you to take on a lease, because that will mean the previous leaseholders can stop paying, but after the business fails you will still be responsible for paying the lease. Do NOT buy a house, rent.. have at least enough money to last you 12 months, and keep a bolt hole in the UK.
Unemployment in Spain is around 40%, so there is little money for the Spanish to be spending, and any they have will go to Spanish people running Spanish businesses. Beaurocracy to get licences is extreme, and unless you know people at the town hall you may, depending on what you want to do, find it difficult to get any sort of licence.

I hate to be negative and rain on your parade, but it's not a good idea, maybe a possible one if you are single and can afford to run the risk and lose everything, but if you have dependents, then no. You will have to show that you ahve healthcare provisions in place, and a certain level of income before you can become a resident, but you won't be able to open a business without being a resident. You can get cover with the Spanish heath system, but that would mean registering as self employed, which would cost €250+ a month, that would cover you and any non working members of your immediate family only
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Can I just make one comment, and be the first to advise you.. DON'T. Unless you have a very niche business, i.e. not relying on tourists, not a bar or restaurant, not a gift shop idea. These are opening and closing as fast as they can, very few last more than 6 months. Most of the business premises are leasehold, and they will do anything to get you to take on a lease, because that will mean the previous leaseholders can stop paying, but after the business fails you will still be responsible for paying the lease. Do NOT buy a house, rent.. have at least enough money to last you 12 months, and keep a bolt hole in the UK.
Unemployment in Spain is around 40%, so there is little money for the Spanish to be spending, and any they have will go to Spanish people running Spanish businesses. Beaurocracy to get licences is extreme, and unless you know people at the town hall you may, depending on what you want to do, find it difficult to get any sort of licence.

I hate to be negative and rain on your parade, but it's not a good idea, maybe a possible one if you are single and can afford to run the risk and lose everything, but if you have dependents, then no. You will have to show that you ahve healthcare provisions in place, and a certain level of income before you can become a resident, but you won't be able to open a business without being a resident. You can get cover with the Spanish heath system, but that would mean registering as self employed, which would cost €250+ a month, that would cover you and any non working members of your immediate family only
Its 50€ a month for registering self employed from Oct 1st

Also It can be disagreed about Spanish people buying from Spanish businesses, I accept there could be some truth in that but if they are so poor they would go for the cheapest option (unlikely to be Spanish) as I would expect anywhere in the world, but also you would have to bear in mind that if someone knew you was earning money they may resort to unlawful tactics to finish you off.

Cant be sure but again 15% of Spain is non Spanish, would Russian, Romanian and Moroccans buy only from Spanish businesses, I don't believe they would.

Too much negativity here for people with a business idea.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 7:43 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Beaurocracy to get licences is extreme, and unless you know people at the town hall you may, depending on what you want to do, find it difficult to get any sort of licence.
Many people advise taking over an existing business - that way you already have licences in place.
Also worth perusing the "Chinese commandments" - their list of things to do when doing business in Spain

http://ivancotado.es/blog/estrategia...sarios-chinos/

No pedir jamás un préstamo al banco. La familia y los amigos no cobran intereses.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 7:45 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Also worth looking at the series of interviews on this site - they're with expats who either work or run their own business in Spain. Plenty of examples there.

http://www.spainbuddy.com/category/l...expat-hotseat/
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:16 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs

I don't understand why people don't put their effort in starting a business in the UK. Surely it has to be easier. If successful then put in a manager and move to Spain with some income
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:24 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I don't understand why people don't put their effort in starting a business in the UK. Surely it has to be easier. If successful then put in a manager and move to Spain with some income
Some already do (according to their bios)
But can't see that it's that easier - costs 3 or 4 times as much rent for premises, for a start. Business rates and the cost of buying a business again is so much more expensive in the UK. Ok, so national insurance is lower than the monthly autonomo fee, but most other things will cost. And if you need to hire assistants.... best way around that is to hire someone who's willing to be self-employed and pay a commission based on sales.
Only area where it's more of an even playing field cost-wise is with eCommerce/webshops - but then you're up against far more competition in the English-speaking world. Kudos to those who do well in that game.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
In a ideal world that would be a perfect solution, there could be several reasons not too though.

A big one for me is the UK can be too competitive.

Some market places suit different people and ideas.

Id look in any country where people complain about the price of things, for me 2 things come to mind in Spain, Mobile phones and Car maintenance, both of which in UK is over competitive and hard markets to enter.

At one point I was the biggest iphone 4 seller on eBay but we were restricted in what we could sell so it opened it up to many other sellers, so we ended up exporting most of it, and they paid more so there was for sure opportunity to sell Apple kit for better margin away from the UK.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be not to open a business in Spain if you need to make a living , if you are doing okay in the UK carry on trading there and commute back and forth , if you think its tough in the UK you've seen nothing yet!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rotor
My advice would be not to open a business in Spain if you need to make a living , if you are doing okay in the UK carry on trading there and commute back and forth , if you think its tough in the UK you've seen nothing yet!
Yes be sensible, I don't think it is tough in the UK but there is a big divide.

2 in call customers yesterday, one with Prada Flip Flops and White Merc ML and a pocket full of pinkies and another guy who turned up in a bashed up Astra van with no socks on and barely could afford £40.

Thats what it is like not so many inbetween
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Its 50€ a month for registering self employed from Oct 1st

Also It can be disagreed about Spanish people buying from Spanish businesses, I accept there could be some truth in that but if they are so poor they would go for the cheapest option (unlikely to be Spanish) as I would expect anywhere in the world, but also you would have to bear in mind that if someone knew you was earning money they may resort to unlawful tactics to finish you off.

Cant be sure but again 15% of Spain is non Spanish, would Russian, Romanian and Moroccans buy only from Spanish businesses, I don't believe they would.

Too much negativity here for people with a business idea.
My experience is based on rural community life. No matter how poor the locals are (and some are very poor) , when they need a new pruning pole saw or a chain saw they buy from an agri stor and select Stihl. What I have noticed is that they will soldier on with dodgy stuff rather than get it fixed. e.g. a ripped seat on their 40K tractor. Wing Mirror hanging off. The new purchase are offsetable against tax of course
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
My experience is based on rural community life. No matter how poor the locals are (and some are very poor) , when they need a new pruning pole saw or a chain saw they buy from an agri stor and select Stihl. What I have noticed is that they will soldier on with dodgy stuff rather than get it fixed. e.g. a ripped seat on their 40K tractor. Wing Mirror hanging off. The new purchase are offsetable against tax of course
Bit like me, you should see my van exactly as you describe, lol