Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:42 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
No worries, with an Irish passport just rock up and accept all the benefits due to you. Not sure that (UK?) blue badge will be acceptable to Spain but I'm sure that it'll be no problem. I have to admit I'm not sure how CGT will be assessed on Irish property sales but I'm sure that you have someone looking into for you.

All good as far as I can see......
Hola

Yes a UK Blue Badge is acceptable in Spain for visitors (and in the initial period) but whether it is convertible easily to a Spanish one I do not know.

One point on dogs; to move them before 31st December is easy, to move them after is harder and more expensive

Davexf
Old Dec 1st 2020, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

The republic of Ireland is EU so why the hurry before the 31 Dec?
Old Dec 1st 2020, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bitmanev
The republic of Ireland is EU so why the hurry before the 31 Dec?
Agree and if Irish no point discussing Brexit topics.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Derickoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree .

Dog kennels in around Malaga kind of like Velez -Malaga or Torrax to settle down to, not a beach person though a municipal pool would be an advantage.
Have to focus of clearing house now the Auctioneer will be calling soon.Possibly fly over in April if a vaccine has been rolled out.? Will concentrate on these areas to look.Whats it like to live there VELEZ and Torrax
Can someone recommend a hire car company.
Storage in around Malaga.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Velez-Malaga is a very large town, capital of the Axarquia region. As such it's very built up and the town centre is mostly flats. It has every facility and that has been a blessing during the lockdowns because we don't have to go outside the municipality for anything. Lots of shops, bars and restaurants, two medical centres (one open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) and the Hospital Comarcal de la Axarquia between Velez and Torre del Mar (Torre being the nearest seaside resort 5km away, part of the same municipality). Good public transport connections (a local bus service between Velez and Torre every 15 minutes on weekdays and every half hour on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays, plus quite frequent services to Malaga). However, services have suffered cutbacks during the pandemic and there are fewer buses now to Malaga than there used to be, and no direct services to Torrox or Nerja any more. (although you can get a connecting bus from Torre del Mar). It's not really a tourist town and still very Spanish, not a lot of English spoken in shops or public offices, so if you don't plan on learning Spanish you might find life easier in Torrox. There are no international restaurants in Velez, except for a few kebab and pizza fast food type places, they are all Spanish so if you want anything else you have to go to Torre del Mar or further afield. Prices for everything are more reasonable because it's not a tourist destination or a large expat population. You can find a lot of information about Velez on this website:-

https://mivelezmalaga.com/

There's Torrox Pueblo (the inland white village) and Torrox Costa (the seaside resort). Torrox has the typical steep narrow streets and the Costa is completely flat, housing stock there is mostly apartment blocks. Torrox Costa has a strong German influence so a lot of the businesses cater for that with signage, menus etc. in German. Lots more British and other foreigners living there, as a percentage of the total population, than in Velez. Both places have bus services to Malaga (more from the Costa than the Pueblo) and there's a local bus service between the two as well, although it stops running quite early in the evenings. Lots of international restaurants in Torrox Costa.

There are municipal indoor swimming pools in Velez, Torre del Mar (that one has only been open a few years and it's very nice) and Torrox Pueblo too

There is a storage business (quite recently opened) right in the centre of Velez, just opposite the town football ground (Estadio Vivar Tellez).
https://trasterosaxarquia.com/en/home

No idea about car hire companies as I don't drive.

Last edited by Lynn R; Dec 1st 2020 at 5:03 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Two car hire companies I use at Malaga Airport are Malagacar.com and Wiberrentacar.com. Provided you take full insurance (often heavily discounted), there is no excess deposit or scrutiny for 'damages', and their services are very good and pleasant.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank youLynn R
My lack of Spanish will not help in Velez .Better to look further afield. Any one like to comment.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Two car hire companies I use at Malaga Airport are Malagacar.com and Wiberrentacar.com. Provided you take full insurance (often heavily discounted), there is no excess deposit or scrutiny for 'damages', and their services are very good and pleasant.
I took out a policy with icarhireinsurance to cover the excess, it saves me a fortune. I paid about 60 Euro for European cover, including hiring in country of residence. If you choose worldwide, just be careful in the US as a lot of rental agreements totally exclude insurance and you get a big surprise.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
I took out a policy with icarhireinsurance to cover the excess, it saves me a fortune. I paid about 60 Euro for European cover, including hiring in country of residence. If you choose worldwide, just be careful in the US as a lot of rental agreements totally exclude insurance and you get a big surprise.
A good idea. I go with the aforementioned two car hire providers because their full cover is only about 20-30% more than basic and you can just walk away from any damage etc as it's fully covered by their insurance. So in case of a claim, you don't have to pay the excess first and claim it back from excess insurers. For example, with Malagacar their basic rental cost for a compact now is around 110 euro/week and rental cost with full cover and no excess/deposit is only 140 euro.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

I have very short arms and under normal circumstances rent very often so I usually go for the cheapest I can find with the safety of the excess cover. If you use rentalcars.com you'll find the same for about 20 per week which is now making me consider selling the car and just renting. The only disadvantage is needing a few credit cards to cover periods when they have locked the deposit.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have very short arms and under normal circumstances rent very often so I usually go for the cheapest I can find with the safety of the excess cover. If you use rentalcars.com you'll find the same for about 20 per week which is now making me consider selling the car and just renting. The only disadvantage is needing a few credit cards to cover periods when they have locked the deposit.
It's up to you but I don't want any hassle when returning the car. Also car hire operators with very low lead-in price normally use high-pressure tactic to sell their own insurance cover, and there is a long queue at the counter as customers argue with counter staff. I'd rather pay a little bit more for a quiet life, and honest operators with good customer care need support.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Theres been talk about yearly insurance policys not being allowed for next year - ie: renewals not being allowed because of brexit. bobd22 might know more about it.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
Theres been talk about yearly insurance policys not being allowed for next year - ie: renewals not being allowed because of brexit. bobd22 might know more about it.
Sorry I don't know anything re that. I haven't had to hire a car for some years.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

apologies, i might of mixed up the Bob´s
Old Dec 24th 2020, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Merry Xmas to everyone from Kinsale CO Cork Ireland.
Well turkey stuffed loosely with a few limes and stuffing I stuff it 1/10 weight. Covered in rashers and tin foil i like to cook at 180c around 4 hours last hour up the heat and remove foil. Turkey 65-70.
Soaked the ham over night and bring to boil and simmer for two hours with a hand full of cloves let cool, remove thick fat and roast for 45min with cloves inserted and squeegee honey driveled over. boiling the giblets but will give to the two boy's,Use the juice for gravy..
Dunne's had 24 cans of Carlsberg for €20 so bought two and with €10 off buy €40 so two for €30 ,€15 a slab woh, a bottle of Powers for €30 liter bottle.Jameson for €20 a bottle.
Will be eating Ham saneys and turkey curry for a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.