Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Nov 29th 2020, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Derickoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain

Haven't been around for a few years My plans for moving took a hit but now back on again with a bit of urgency..
Have a few questions Do Spanish Authorities help disabled pensioners with rent I know you must be registered first as a resident.
I know I will be entitled to near free medication but that question remains on my mind I also have 2 small dogs 9-10
Old Nov 29th 2020, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by Derickoo
Haven't been around for a few years My plans for moving took a hit but now back on again with a bit of urgency..
Have a few questions Do Spanish Authorities help disabled pensioners with rent I know you must be registered first as a resident.
I know I will be entitled to near free medication but that question remains on my mind I also have 2 small dogs 9-10

Hi,
You do not get any help whatsoever with rent. You don't get any help at all in Spain when you are disabled. You will be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK if you register your S1 forms along with your application for residency before 31st December 2020. You will be entitled to the S1 healthcare if you are in receipt of the UK pension or an exportable disability allowance. If you make an application for residency after that date then you will need to have private healthcare cover.

I'm happy to help with any more questions you may have.

Steve

Last edited by tebo53; Nov 29th 2020 at 10:19 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

That does depend on the understanding of "disabled". Our Down's syndrome son receives quite generous monthly payments from the Spanish social security system as "hijo a cargo".
There are also car blue badge benefits. However, I cannot speak for physical disabilities.
There are 2 sources of info that spring to mind:
  1. Fred James, a mine of information
  2. The British embassy in Madrid
Old Nov 30th 2020, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK - its difficult in spain to get a blue badge even, (and associated discounts on things). Think before you do anything - do you have the savings to support yourself ? do you speak spanish ? are you able to work ? if you struggle with anything in the uk, you´ll struggle even more in a foreign country.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't true to say that disabled people in Spain get no help at all. What is available will vary between the different autonomous regions, but this link gives information about what is available in Andalucia, for example:-

https://www.juntadeandalucia.es/tema...staciones.html

Before anything can be claimed the individual must undergo a formal disability assessment to determine what degree of incapacity they have, which is carried out by Social Services.

However, as someone seeking to move to Spain the OP would have to provide evidence that he could support himself and would not be a burden on the Spanish state, which rules out being able to claim any benefits.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
It isn't true to say that disabled people in Spain get no help at all. What is available will vary between the different autonomous regions, but this link gives information about what is available in Andalucia, for example:-

https://www.juntadeandalucia.es/tema...staciones.html

Before anything can be claimed the individual must undergo a formal disability assessment to determine what degree of incapacity they have, which is carried out by Social Services.

However, as someone seeking to move to Spain the OP would have to provide evidence that he could support himself and would not be a burden on the Spanish state, which rules out being able to claim any benefits.
A Spanish friend of mine is disabled and can't walk. His wife applied through Social services for some financial help which (apparently) he was entitled to. After interviews and filling in a million forms and supplying doctors letters etc, etc they are still waiting, after 18 months, for a decision to whether they are eligible. Covid has put meetings and cancelled meetings etc. Nothing is easy here in Spain and you cannot be sure that you will receive the awards. He has had to jump through hoops just to get a blue badge for a car.

Steve

Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:22 am
Just Joined

I should have said I'm Irish southern and Retired at 67.but i worry about my two dogs bringing them there. I will have enough funds for set up and my pension is contributory. Have also a private pension small one..
My medical conditions are treatable.Have also had a few knees and hips replaced.but am able to get around, I don't speak Spanish.
Will purchase a property later when i find the right place will have approx €160k to do so my worry is the initial move renting with my Dogs and the cost therein till my house here is sold and funds are in my bank.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
A Spanish friend of mine is disabled and can't walk. His wife applied through Social services for some financial help which (apparently) he was entitled to. After interviews and filling in a million forms and supplying doctors letters etc, etc they are still waiting, after 18 months, for a decision to whether they are eligible. Covid has put meetings and cancelled meetings etc. Nothing is easy here in Spain and you cannot be sure that you will receive the awards. He has had to jump through hoops just to get a blue badge for a car.

Steve
I know the application and assessment processes are very long and complicated and people can have to wait for a very long time firstly to find out if they are entitled to various things, and even if the decision is favourable they can then have to wait a lot longer to actually get whatever help they have been told they are entitled to. However, that isn't quite the same thing as saying disabled people don't get any help at all in Spain. I know a British person who worked here on a self-employed basis, paying Social Security autonomo contributions, became ill and could not work any longer, and he has received quite generous disability benefit ever since.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

well that changes everything - if you are retired thats a whole other conversation - you recieve a monthly pension and would have 160k in the bank to start with.

you could move tomorrow, buy an apartment outright for 45k and live forever without a problem.

whats the issue with bringing the dogs to spain? we have two dogs, (and other small pets) and rent for 500 a month. you just have to look for somewhere that will allow dogs? (you´ll have at least 3 more within a year.. hahaha)
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:43 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
well that changes everything - if you are retired thats a whole other conversation - you recieve a monthly pension and would have 160k in the bank to start with.

you could move tomorrow, buy an apartment outright for 45k and live forever without a problem.

whats the issue with bringing the dogs to spain? we have two dogs, (and other small pets) and rent for 500 a month. you just have to look for somewhere that will allow dogs? (you´ll have at least 3 more within a year.. hahaha)
I think that if you re-read the post it says that there will be that amount so maybe that is after selling the existing house.

Rosemary
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry Rosemary - thats why i said "look for somewhere that will allow dogs" (i should of added *in the meantime*)
Old Nov 30th 2020, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Have my blue badge already for car. What to do with goods storage.need advise about this.
Need to downsize as I'm rattling around in a four bed 2000sq ft detached house. Ex gets half when house sold.
Dogs have passports will need to update before travel.
I guess I'm worrying unnecessary.
That comes with old age.
.. ..
Old Nov 30th 2020, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Have my blue badge already for car. What to do with goods storage.need advise about this.
Need to downsize as I'm rattling around in a four bed 2000sq ft detached house. Ex gets half when house sold.
That comes with old age.
.. ..
You can use your existing blue badge issued by an EU country if you are visiting Spain, but according to online information if you become a resident in Spain you must apply for a new Spanish issued one. I don't know how strictly that would be enforced.

https://www.healthplanspain.com/blog...-in-spain.html
Old Nov 30th 2020, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Derickoo, on post #1 you seem to be querying if the spanish authorities would help you financially with your rent due to having disabilities and on post #7 you will have sold your existing property in another country and have 160,000 euro to buy a place. I wonder how a spanish local would view this in light of the dire economy that is now being further hammered by the Covid Virus? Perhaps I have missed something here and have my wires crossed, please enlighten me.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

That comes with old age.
.. ..

No worries, with an Irish passport just rock up and accept all the benefits due to you. Not sure that (UK?) blue badge will be acceptable to Spain but I'm sure that it'll be no problem. I have to admit I'm not sure how CGT will be assessed on Irish property sales but I'm sure that you have someone looking into for you.

All good as far as I can see......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.