Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Sep 10th 2020, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by mightyfinest
Looking at doing a similar thing ourselves.

My wife is a US Citizen with UK residency since last year and I hold an Irish passport as well as a British one. We're looking to move to Spain although not sure when this is doable.

IF we went before the end of the year, would my wife would technically be giving up her UK residency if she took residency in Spain?

Thanks.
If she is on a spouse visa and does not renew her visa (presume she is on the initial 2.5years) then, yes, if her visa expires so does her eligibility to residency in the UK

If she renews her visa, but then moved to Europe and is out of the country for a reasonable amount of time, she may not be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain at the end of the 5 year period.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 9:17 am
Just Joined

mightyfinest is an unknown quantity at this point

Makes sense, SanDiegogirl. Thanks folks.
Old Sep 11th 2020, 9:09 am
Just Joined

ecoera is an unknown quantity at this point

You could look for a job in Gibraltar. Look at the care sector over there, they are always looking for qualified and unqualified personnel. You can find a property near the area on the Spanish side, such as Santa Margarita, Alcaidesa has 20 properties available all under 1000 euros. You can transfer your national insurance contributions from Gibraltar to Spain and receive healthcare.