Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Feb 6th 2019, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by Brownfam
Citizen of Barcelona absolutely agree with you! This is also my chain of thought. If your English why would you want a Spanish workman! Chances are you can’t communicate as efficiently as if you would with a native English speaker. We just need to crack the English community. Thanks for your response really appreciate your positivity!
Wha????
Old Feb 6th 2019, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a property in UK which perhaps you are thinking of renting out while you decide?
Old Feb 6th 2019, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that Spain is the same as the UK when it comes to trade. You need to be certified to perform most jobs. That means Spanish certifications. So you can't really avoid the language issue. Employing a UK plumber in Spain can sometimes mean no company insurance and no signing off papers. Up to you but illegal in Spain means illegal!!. Employ a non certified plumber who floods your downstairs neighbours apartment and then try dealing with insurance companies and negligence claims. Not a great idea. The thing that was great about polish plumbers and electricians is they all got their licences etc sorted when they came to UK
Shouldn't UK tradesmen do the same?
Old Feb 19th 2019, 5:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownfam
If your English why would you want a Spanish workman!
Most of the Brit “tradesmen” we have encountered have been overpriced, incompetent and unreliable compared to the locals. In predominately Brit expat areas there are plenty of Spanish tradesmen who manage basic English. We had a couple here last week to instal fibre Internet. One spoke English and the other French. In the Movistar office all three personnel spoke very good English.

Last week our neighbour had let the house to some Brits. The water pump had jammed. We called our plumber who arrived 10 minutes later. He hit it with a hammer and it started. “No charge - I didn’t do anything”. The last Brit plumber we used for them to fix a simple leak on a pool shower charged a €50 call out fee and to ask me if I had any plumbers tape!
Old Feb 20th 2019, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

Most of the Brit “tradesmen” we have encountered have been overpriced, incompetent and unreliable compared to the locals. In predominately Brit expat areas there are plenty of Spanish tradesmen who manage basic English. We had a couple here last week to instal fibre Internet. One spoke English and the other French. In the Movistar office all three personnel spoke very good English.

Last week our neighbour had let the house to some Brits. The water pump had jammed. We called our plumber who arrived 10 minutes later. He hit it with a hammer and it started. “No charge - I didn’t do anything”. The last Brit plumber we used for them to fix a simple leak on a pool shower charged a €50 call out fee and to ask me if I had any plumbers tape!
You're right and unfortunately with that attitude If your English why would you want a Spanish workman! the OP won't go far.
Many Spanish can also speak English and if not, you can still use a translation app to show you are making some effort.
Even then, most English would actually prefer the efficient German who speaks English and does a decent job LOL.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You're right and unfortunately with that attitude If your English why would you want a Spanish workman! the OP won't go far.
Many Spanish can also speak English and if not, you can still use a translation app to show you are making some effort.
Even then, most English would actually prefer the efficient German who speaks English and does a decent job LOL.
Quite right. The British have done themselves no favours here either, some having passed through a magic cloud over France on their flight to their new life in Spain. You know the one, where DIY enthusiasts become 'builder's, someone who put some new taps in for his Gran becomes a 'plumber ', a grease monkey becomes an Engineer etc etc.

Not the OP obviously, but he will suffer because of those that came before. I use local Spanish tradesmen. It's good as they do not overcharge and have a yearn to repair something rather than fit a totally new part, know that if you are not happy everyone else will know so do a good job, and you are supporting your local business.

Last UK "tradesman " did a crap job for much more than a local man would have charged, and had the UK attitude of 'you called ME, mate'. Yes, bye now...........
Old Feb 20th 2019, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Fun in the sun is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should give it a go and scratch your itch... You don't want to be thinking "what if" in years to come. As you said, if it doesn't work out, you can always go back.

People can be very resilient when thrown in the deep end. It will be a sink or swim situation but if you want it that bad, you will find a way to make it work.

If I was you, I would try and learn as much Spanish as I could (after all this is Spain). There is a free app called Duolingo that can help get you started.

Good luck!

Last edited by Fun in the sun; Feb 20th 2019 at 9:56 am.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fun in the sun
I think you should give it a go and scratch your itch... You don't want to be thinking "what if" in years to come. As you said, if it doesn't work out, you can always go back.

People can be very resilient when thrown in the deep end. It will be a sink or swim situation but if you want it that bad, you will find a way to make it work.

If I was you, I would try and learn as much Spanish as I could (after all this is Spain). There is a free app called Duolingo that can help get you started.

I have no regrets moving here
The problem you'll find is that many people who listen to you should give it a go and scratch your itch... end up thinking I wish I knew before. Your circumstances will be different and maybe you have enough cash, don't have to rely on employment, don't mind a hippie lifestyle etc. Just saying that you have to look at very individual case.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 10:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
Fair enough if they were just a couple. But they have a child, and whatever age she is, they must provide for her while waiting to get qualified and/or find low-paid work. As said, this will mean living off savings for several months and watching the finances, which isn't compatible with the better quality of life, etc.... which they are seeking. If the child is of school age, there's also the question of schooling, esp. as presumably she doesn't speak Spanish....
At least from #6 the OP is aware that it might not work out and that they've got a safety net back in the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Fun in the sun is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone's reality is different. The experience I have in exactly the same place, with exactly the same circumstances as someone else will be totally different. You can try and prepare yourself as best as you can and almost talk yourself out of trying something, but until you're on the ground you won't know the true reality of your particular situation. If it doesn't work out you could either end up thinking "I wish I knew before" or you could think "at least we gave it a go" that depends on the kind of person you are... However, the flip side is that it could be the best move you ever made. The point is, you won't know the outcome if you don't give it a go.

BrownFam seems dead set on going and is an adult, I'm sure she will budget accordingly... Furthermore, a better quality of life is not necessarily money orientated. Yes, they may have less money but If they are spending more quality time together, for me, they are richer than before. Having kids, I feel there is so much more to do here for free with them than the UK, the weather plays a big part in that.

Overall, the key thing here is that they have a safety net and they're happy to write it off as an adventure if it doesn't work out.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Everyone's reality is different. The experience I have in exactly the same place, with exactly the same circumstances as someone else will be totally different. You can try and prepare yourself as best as you can and almost talk yourself out of trying something, but until you're on the ground you won't know the true reality of your particular situation. If it doesn't work out you could either end up thinking "I wish I knew before" or you could think "at least we gave it a go" that depends on the kind of person you are... However, the flip side is that it could be the best move you ever made. The point is, you won't know the outcome if you don't give it a go.

BrownFam seems dead set on going and is an adult, I'm sure she will budget accordingly... Furthermore, a better quality of life is not necessarily money orientated. Yes, they may have less money but If they are spending more quality time together, for me, they are richer than before. Having kids, I feel there is so much more to do here for free with them than the UK, the weather plays a big part in that.

Overall, the key thing here is that they have a safety net and they're happy to write it off as an adventure if it doesn't work out.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
You still need common sense and have to look at other factors. How old is their child, what is the financial situation and if they give up a job in the UK, how easy would it be to get a job with similar pay if it doesn't work out? For some people 10K could be their life savings, so if you move to Spain without a job and waste all that money, it might be an expensive adventure. Your thinking might come from your experience, because you have enough cash and don't need to work/ or have to rely on local employment, so it's always easy to say "I feel there is so much more to do here for free with them than the UK, the weather plays a big part in that". If it was about weather, all people from Andorra, Bilbao, Santander would be moving to your location and no person from Morocco would want to move to Sweden. The reality is different and you probably wouldn't recommend someone in the UK with a decent job to move to a sunnier part of the UK, so they can end up unemployed? Well at least in the UK they speak the language and would get benefits, so can spend quality time with kids

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 20th 2019 at 1:22 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I think these things can only be fully understood by having the experience. I don't think someone telling you how you will feel will suffice unless you actually do it. No one is going to believe that you probably won't have more quality time with your family because you live in Spain. After a while the sense of being on holiday disappears . Life becomes life again with the usual mix of " what ifs". I thought my boy would love being outside swimming in the sea whenever he wanted etc. Truth is he and his mates hate the sun and the pool. They are just like UK kids , on computers all day!! Oh well that's life
Old Feb 20th 2019, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
I think these things can only be fully understood by having the experience. I don't think someone telling you how you will feel will suffice unless you actually do it. No one is going to believe that you probably won't have more quality time with your family because you live in Spain. After a while the sense of being on holiday disappears . Life becomes life again with the usual mix of " what ifs". I thought my boy would love being outside swimming in the sea whenever he wanted etc. Truth is he and his mates hate the sun and the pool. They are just like UK kids , on computers all day!! Oh well that's life
I suppose you're right and nobody will listen anyway. Unfortunately a lot of younger parents are selfish these days and only really think of themselves first. Those desperate for sun will always find a reason to move. Of course many kids play ps4 indoors anyway and in reality active younger kids aren't one bit bothered about the weather and will happily play in the rain until the miserable parents tell them to stop. Playing 5 a side in the blistering heat can also be a challenge and then you get sick of the beach etc.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

jonnymc is an unknown quantity at this point

DO IT! **** Brexit you have to live your own dreams, whatever happens will be. It would be way better to have employment before moving, that goes for a new city in the UK or Spain or anywhere. Make plans, execute them dont sweat the political nonsense if you want it you will make it work.

P.S This site is full of pissing moaners, I dont know if they are all older or what but its typical of the older sado Brit Expats I have met. Avoid them like the plague.

Last edited by jonnymc; Feb 21st 2019 at 7:48 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 9:07 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

So if out think that way, why did you join the forum. Yes, there are a lot of older members on this forum and they probably have a great deal more experience than you do and are prepared to pass that on to new members.

Out of interest, just what is your experience of living and working in Spain. I’m sure we would all like to hear a success story for a change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.