British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   moving to spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-spain-910257/)

flojo46 Mar 10th 2018 2:45 pm

moving to spain

hello
my husband and i are thinking of moving to spain when he retires in 5 years.
Can anyone give me advice on how we can find out about bying a mobile home near benidorm.

mikelincs Mar 10th 2018 3:48 pm

Re: moving to spain

Originally Posted by flojo46 (Post 12459987)
hello
Can anyone give me advice on how we can find out about bying a mobile home near benidorm.

Welcome to BE.

I suspect you are getting a little ahead of yourselves, no-one is yet certain of what might happen after Brexit so it's a totally unknown situation as to whether you will need some sort of visa, what it might be etc. also please be very careful about living in a mobile home, many of the sites have an 11 in 12 months occupancy limit so you just might need to live somewhere else for the closed month, you need to check terms very, very carefully.

flojo46 Mar 10th 2018 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12460009)
Welcome to BE.

I keep forgetting about bexit. I hope ot doesnt cause too much trouble. Spain is the only place i know ill be happy living.

missile Mar 10th 2018 4:12 pm

You are a bit premature. Make a plan .............. in 4 years

Rosemary Mar 10th 2018 4:30 pm

hello

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

spainrico Mar 10th 2018 4:46 pm

Whilst I would always advocate planning and research doing this for 5 years ahead is frankly a waste of time at the moment.

bobd22 Mar 10th 2018 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12460037)
Whilst I would always advocate planning and research doing this for 5 years ahead is frankly a waste of time at the moment.

Nothing truer said

flojo46 Mar 10th 2018 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12460022)
You are a bit premature. Make a plan .............. in 4 years

doesnt hurt to make enquires now

VEDShappy Mar 10th 2018 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by flojo46 (Post 12460106)

No, it doesn't. However, as others have said, a lot of things can change twixt now and then.

You obviously know where you want to live and in what sort of accommodation. The only advice that I could give would be for you to visit different caravan parks and speak to the owners, but be aware that those that you speak to might not be the owners a few years hence.

lurchio Mar 10th 2018 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by flojo46 (Post 12460106)

Sorry, yes it does. The situation is very fluid and the most important final year is upon us. Any enquiries you get an answer to now could be totally turned upside down as time progresses. I would advise a 'watching brief' until all the unknowns are knowns. These are very uncertain times for any plan. Hold your horses!!!

tebo53 Mar 11th 2018 7:07 am

hello

Buying a mobile home here in Benidorm is the easy part as you only need (mainly) to go to your chosen site and enquire who might be selling one and contact them. Most permanent caravan sites here in Benidorm can be quite expensive even if you have put your own caravan on there. Expences for permanent residency and ongoing charges can add up to more than renting a local apartment. A lot of caravan owners have to use community toilets and wash/shower facilities.

I know several people who live permanently on Benidorm caravan sites and enjoy the community but it can be difficult in the winter period. You can't compare the true Benidorm sites with the TV series "Bargain loving Brits in the sun" along with "Happy days" Graham as it isn't really like that in reality.

But....I fully agree with the other posters that you will be better off waiting until after Brexit.

Steve

aidan1980 Mar 11th 2018 9:26 am

ignore everyone with negative comments, if you want to start researching now then you go for it. nothing wrong at all with researching as long as you keep in mind things could change, but they could also change on your side for the better. your husband might be able to take early retirement etc and you could suddenly be in a position to move a lot earlier. good luck

bobd22 Mar 11th 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by lurchio (Post 12460133)
Sorry, yes it does. The situation is very fluid and the most important final year is upon us. Any enquiries you get an answer to now could be totally turned upside down as time progresses. I would advise a 'watching brief' until all the unknowns are knowns. These are very uncertain times for any plan. Hold your horses!!!

Couldn't agree more with this comment and and Lurchio you know why I say that. You can research areas , static sites etc and how to sort your situation in the UK should you leave property sale renting etc that is common sense. However the huge elephant in the room is Brexit. That is an ever moving issue the result of which could very well hugely affect any plans you make prior to a final decision on your future. The one big issue for you in retirement will be how you obtain health care. From what we know of Brexit if you move full time as a state pensioner after Brexit you will it would seem not be able to benefit from free state health care in Spain. If you use the static home to say do half and half UK / Spain will you end up covered by the EHIC? Again the continuation of the EHIC for non residents in Spain after Brexit is an unknown? I myself thought that had been agreed but it hasn't . So in your planning think of health care costs as a retiree, no doubt like most as you age it becomes more likely you will need to make use of health care. That depends upon your financial situation but plan on paying minimum around 2000 euros + per couple per year. At least you are in a better position than many in that you are thinking of buying rather than already bought planning pre referendum in the belief we are in EU so will get health care when retired. So research what you can but plan for the worse case scenarios I'm afraid, that is not being negative but truthful and sensible.

tallguy0550 Mar 13th 2018 11:24 am

hello

My question is why wait? If your husband is 60 and you live in the UK, he can release 25% of his pension, tax free, now and with the equity in your UK home, you can live quite comfortably in Spain for five years until his pension becomes available. He could even work in Spain until his pension is paid. That money belongs to your husband, not the UK government, so even if you become Spanish citizens, it has to be paid to him.