British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving to Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-spain-878807/)

boswonk Jun 13th 2016 11:54 am

Moving to Spain

Hi

I suppose you all get so sick of this question but here goes.

We are looking at moving to Spain and would like help on areas and things. Obviously we will be waiting until after the Euro vote.

I am looking for

Some where with walking distance to health amenities
shops/restaurants within walking distance
Vets
low crime
Ex pat community
Somewhere not so hot as the mainland possible near mountains to get some cool air
We do not need to work but obviously if there is a chance we can ( I know this is hard) We are in our 50s

Also could you please give me average costing for two people to live on. ie bills ect

Basically we have a budget of about 1500 euro after rent is this an achievable figure for two people. We dont know anything as yet as we have just started researching but would appreciate all advice if you could spare the time.

Sorry if its a question you all get sick of. We will be renting until we find an area we like but have a large dog so need somewhere with outside space.

Thanks in anticipation

marcbernard Jun 13th 2016 12:40 pm

Re: Moving to Spain

What sort of exchange rate are you expecting if your 1500€ comes from a UK base? If the loons win it will be about 50 cents to the pound!

boswonk Jun 13th 2016 1:06 pm

Hi

Im working on the exchange rate today. Obviously if we get out of euro it will change but I have to get a start figure from somewhere lol

Rosemary Jun 13th 2016 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by boswonk (Post 11972062)
Hi

Thanks in anticipation

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

pwwm Jun 13th 2016 5:43 pm

re cool near the mountains lol we took friends for a (mystery tour) today and drove back over the Sierra Nevada hit just over 8 thousand feet we still managed 35.5 in the shade. Spain is actually much more montainous than people realise. I will leave others to recommend areas as we dont live in an expat área.

Having said this we have been here 13 years and love it so welcome and hope you find your litle piece of heaven :thumbsup:

tebo53 Jun 13th 2016 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by boswonk (Post 11972062)
Hi

We are looking at moving to Spain and would like help on areas and things. Obviously we will be waiting until after the Euro vote.

I am looking for

Some where with walking distance to health amenities
shops/restaurants within walking distance
Vets
low crime
Ex pat community
Somewhere not so hot as the mainland possible near mountains to get some cool air
We do not need to work but obviously if there is a chance we can ( I know this is hard) We are in our 50s

Also could you please give me average costing for two people to live on. ie bills ect

Basically we have a budget of about 1500 euro after rent is this an achievable figure for two people. We dont know anything as yet as we have just started researching but would appreciate all advice if you could spare the time.

Sorry if its a question you all get sick of. We will be renting until we find an area we like but have a large dog so need somewhere with outside space.

Thanks in anticipation

Hi, most towns of any size have numeros bars, restaurants, vets and expat communities.
Here in Benidorm a two bedroom apartment will be around €500 per month plus electric (some tenants have to pay certain other bills ) If you need a villa with your own grounds that will be substantially dearer.

Food and drink is cheaper than the UK. Electric is around the same.

You will need to prove you have sufficient income and healthcare before you can be residents.

Best of luck
Steve

johnnyone Jun 14th 2016 8:53 am

You would be better looking at the coast as the summer heat does get tempered by the sea whereas the mountain areas can get hotter in the summer (and a lot colder in the winter).
Have you considered the Canaries?

Ellie95 Jun 16th 2016 10:22 am

I would suggest Torremolinos to Fuengirola on the Costa. That's where we're based. Rent is cheap the further west you go from Malaga Airport and as some have said electricity an bills are cheaper. Food is also cheap esp if you go to European supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl- even cheaper than the UK in my experience.

mikelincs Jun 16th 2016 11:33 am

Costa Blanca would fit all your needs, plenty of places there with cheap rentals, perhaps even more after the referendum