Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Feb 8th 2015, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

jaseywasey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain

Oh the wonder of the internet ?

I am looking for some advice I am a 43 year old married to a lovely woman with a beautiful 15 yr old daughter we have lived in ireland for 11 years and have come to the decision that we are going to move to spain !!!
Ive sold my business and are ready to go but we dont know where to go the main issue is my daughter as she is 15 we need to get her into an english speaking school and i would like to live near the coast but not in the middle of tourist central
i would really appreciate any advice we are into our harley davidson and would like to be close to a club etc

thanks jasey wasey
Old Feb 8th 2015, 8:06 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 8th 2015, 9:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaseywasey

I am looking for some advice I am a 43 year old married to a lovely woman with a beautiful 15 yr old daughter we have lived in ireland for 11 years and have come to the decision that we are going to move to spain !!!
Ive sold my business and are ready to go but we dont know where to go the main issue is my daughter as she is 15 we need to get her into an english speaking school and i would like to live near the coast but not in the middle of tourist central
i would really appreciate any advice we are into our harley davidson and would like to be close to a club etc

thanks jasey wasey
You will need to find a good international school for your daughter, that should be more important than be near a motorcycle club. Unfortunately many of the better international schools are in the South, and near the main tourist/expat areas. I am assuming you will not need to earn a living while there, as the unemployment situation is still dire. Personally I would seriously consider waiting till your daughter has done her GCSEs at the very least before uprooting her.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Spain

thanks jasey wasey
It is never an easy decision to make on behalf of a young person especially one who will be taking their exams at 16. This may determine her whole future so it is a move that will be very important. Most of the English speaking International schools are in the south along the Costa del Sol which is a tourist area but there is nothing wrong with that. Thousands of foreigners live there and are very happy. She may find it difficult to fit in quickly and then she will have to choose between taking A levels or the IB which depends which school she goes to. The private schools are expensive so do some research before you go. Good luck.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:34 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

In Spain you have to be at least 65 to ride a Harley Davidson
On Sundays they are all over the place, you wont find it difficult to find someone to talk bike with :-)
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:57 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Bollocks. I know people as young as 50 that have a Harley.

As far as Spain is concerned, it's a great place to have money. If you plan to be a millionaire in Spain, it's a doddle. Just bring 2 million with you (or become a politician).
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:40 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

As far as Spain is concerned, it's a great place to have money. If you plan to be a millionaire in Spain, it's a doddle. Just bring 2 million with you (or become a politician).
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

thanks jasey wasey
I am just surprised that, as you have already sold your business, that you haven't researched what to do about schooling, and where to live.
You have so many things to consider, health cover, tax implications as well
Apologies if you have already sorted these issues.
I agree with the other poster. 15 is a bad age to disrupt her education, and what will she do after leaving school ?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Har har,

Mitzy got the bite. Good fishing.

Whilst you don't have to be 65, you do, of course, have to be a bit of a twat. Anybody who makes so much noise to move so slowly really can't be called anything nicer.

Originally Posted by amideislas

Old Feb 12th 2015, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

time4tea is an unknown quantity at this point

I already replied in the Welcome forum but Hi again anyway. I agree that one year before her GCSEs does seem like a bit of bad timing but I'm sure you guys have talked this though and have your reasons. On the Costa Del Sol there is a huge UK influence and English speaking schools are not hard to find. I suggest you take a couple of weeks down here to physically get a feel for the place and where schools are in relation to your potential business etc.