Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

s_lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Moving to Spain

Information or advice wanted on relocating to Spain?
My husband is an owner driver seeking this sort of work in Spain and I currently work as a classroom assistant in a High School I was wondering do schools in Spain employ classroom assistants and if so how do I go about seeking this sort of employment??

Many thanks
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:04 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

23% unemployment.

First, speak Spanish fluently, then have a damn good reason why you should be hired over 100,000 other Spanish nationals seeking employment. Then you have a shot. Otherwise, little chance.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
23% unemployment.

First, speak Spanish fluently, then have a damn good reason why you should be hired over 100,000 other Spanish nationals seeking employment. Then you have a shot. Otherwise, little chance.

......or, to put that in a slightly more 'new poster friendly' fashion..... Welcome, and you're far from the first to be asking similar questions. Does owner driver mean HGV? What class? White van? Taxi? Sorry maybe I should know but I didn't! In my limited experience classroom assistants do exist, often only to deal with specific 'problem' children in the way one might have a support worker in the UK, and are volunteer/lowly paid and/or not on permanent contract.
That having been said, you will stand significantly less chance if you don't speak good or preferably fluent Spanish. My guess is that would apply to both of you, because even if your husband is going from place to place there's no guarantee every contract will be English-speaking.
Maybe also do a search within the Spain forum and see if any previous advice is more specific to your circumstances?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:46 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
23% unemployment.

40% in my area
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
40% in my area
It's gone up to 75% here!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:39 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
It's gone up to 75% here!
aahhh the mountain effect
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by s_lou
My husband is an owner driver seeking this sort of work in Spain and I currently work as a classroom assistant in a High School I was wondering do schools in Spain employ classroom assistants and if so how do I go about seeking this sort of employment??

Many thanks
are you both independently wealthy, approaching retirement or just stuffed full of transferable benefits ??
if so then it should work out, but as other posters have pointed out, the way things are here the only thing going for you is the sun, but at night it is still hitting 0c and a cold wind during the day.

yes its nice to get away from the Uk, there are many frustrations including shortage of work, but it really is bad here, many couples are moving back home with parents, landlords are taking reductions in rent to just keep some money coming in.

the only schools that may employ someone with only English would be the Internationals, but even then they will probably require some level of practical Spanish

sorry if it is all negative, but that is how it is at the moment
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:09 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I can only echo what others have said, unfortunately.

There is very little chance of any work, so unless you have another form of income you are going to be back to the UK and its generous Benefits system pdq
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:18 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s_lou

Many thanks
pretty much what the others have said

you are both earning a decent living in the UK - there is very little chance of you doing that in Spain atm

stay put for now, learn Spainish, have lots of recce trips, apply for jobs in International schools - you have no chance in a Spanish state school - your husband could I guess approach English companies in Spain

but until you have both secured proper salaried full contract jobs - don't burn your bridges