British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   moving to Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-spain-250814/)

sullivan Aug 24th 2004 9:38 pm

moving to Spain

Hi. My husband and I are planning our move to Spain to coincide with the school holidays next summer. Our children will be aged 10yr and 5yr. We are planning to move to the southern area of the Valencian region or the Northern Murcia region. Does anyone have any advice on local schools? We are hoping for the children to enter the Spanish school system and not take the private route. Do you live in the area and have children going through the state schools? Have your children been placed in the position of speaking minimal Spanish and feeling confused? And what about work and buying a house? We plan to rent initially, but any advice on these subjects would be gratefully appreciated. My husband is happy to work in the building industry, but would ideally like to be a beach bum and start up a jetski business or a bouncy beach thingy franchise that he saw while on a recent visit! Look forward to hearing from you.......someone.......................anyone???

Thank

jdr Aug 25th 2004 6:48 am

Re: moving to Spain

Originally Posted by sullivan
Hi. My husband and I are planning our move to Spain to coincide with the school holidays next summer. Our children will be aged 10yr and 5yr. We are planning to move to the southern area of the Valencian region or the Northern Murcia region. Does anyone have any advice on local schools? We are hoping for the children to enter the Spanish school system and not take the private route. Do you live in the area and have children going through the state schools? Have your children been placed in the position of speaking minimal Spanish and feeling confused? And what about work and buying a house? We plan to rent initially, but any advice on these subjects would be gratefully appreciated. My husband is happy to work in the building industry, but would ideally like to be a beach bum and start up a jetski business or a bouncy beach thingy franchise that he saw while on a recent visit! Look forward to hearing from you.......someone.......................anyone???

Thank

Try a search on the site, this must be covered every week ;) ;)

robbs Aug 25th 2004 10:25 am

Thank

After you have searched this site there are hundreds of other sites that can give you information on all things, just need to look, also visit the area's you are thinking of to get the information and speak directly with people that are in the position you want to be

movetogandia Sep 1st 2004 5:06 pm

Thank

Hi
Look into website www.practicalspain.com it covers all the questions relating to bringing children of all ages to Spain, the do's and the dont's. It also covers over a 100 other subjects without advertising.
One point is paramount, no one can give you a list of schools untill you have a better idea of where you wish to live. Town/area etc.

It is essential to visit schools where you are going to buy your property because your actual address in the town often determines which Spanish state schools your child is eligible to apply to attend. Few people seem to realise this factor.As for language problems, usually children seem to lap it up and soon make friends, not so easy for parents but the Spanish people really appreciate you trying even when you make a mess of it.

Also if your husband wishes to start up a business he needs to consider if you wish to be in an English tourist area or Spanish. In Valencia many of the schools put more accent on teaching Valenciana with only a small attention to Castillian. Visit the area and the schools.
Best wishes for success
Maurice

sullivan Sep 1st 2004 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Try a search on the site, this must be covered every week ;) ;)

Many thanks for your reply. I have looked at many of the threads on this site already. We are looking for information from people who live in the area and who may have children at the schools, so we can find out about them from a parents perspective. Thank you again...and we will keep looking.

sullivan Sep 1st 2004 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by robbs
After you have searched this site there are hundreds of other sites that can give you information on all things, just need to look, also visit the area's you are thinking of to get the information and speak directly with people that are in the position you want to be

Thank you for your reply. We have already visited the area that we would like to settle in and would like to hear from any families who have already made the move.

sullivan Sep 1st 2004 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by movetogandia
Hi
Look into website www.practicalspain.com it covers all the questions relating to bringing children of all ages to Spain, the do's and the dont's. It also covers over a 100 other subjects without advertising.
One point is paramount, no one can give you a list of schools untill you have a better idea of where you wish to live. Town/area etc.

It is essential to visit schools where you are going to buy your property because your actual address in the town often determines which Spanish state schools your child is eligible to apply to attend. Few people seem to realise this factor.As for language problems, usually children seem to lap it up and soon make friends, not so easy for parents but the Spanish people really appreciate you trying even when you make a mess of it.

Also if your husband wishes to start up a business he needs to consider if you wish to be in an English tourist area or Spanish. In Valencia many of the schools put more accent on teaching Valenciana with only a small attention to Castillian. Visit the area and the schools.
Best wishes for success
Maurice

Many thanks for your reply. As I said, we hope to move to the northern Murcia / southern Valencia region. We have visited Pilar de la Horadada and found this to be a favourite of ours. We have also looked at Orihuela.
I have learnt about the differences in the language recently and so would very much like to know if anyone has children at schools in this area so we can find out which language is to be taught. Thankyou again for your interest.

jdr Sep 2nd 2004 9:08 pm

Thank

To drive a jetski in Spain you need a licence, so a hire business would have to work hard to find clients, cos most people with licences have their own jetski`s.... :( :(