British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving To Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-spain-189101/)

Lucky Lucy Nov 5th 2003 12:55 pm

Moving To Spain

Hi Guys, I have just been having a read through some of the emails and all the info is really good and useful but there are a lot of negative comments. I am moving to Almeria in January with my boyfriend. We have done our research on the spanish coast and Almeria suits us best.We have also brought numerous books on spanish employment laws and other laws and licences that are needed. We are also going to spend at least 3 months working out there first and then make a decision on what to do. Another thing that we have done is check out websites for the area that we are moving to and have called the people who are already working there and made some contacts ready for when we go. We have also soretd a lawyer out in the UK first who also knows the spanish laws.

I think that as long as you prepare for everything before you leave and you are fully aware that it's not a holiday and a lot of hard work and long hours are going to be involved then you can make it work.

And for those who are thinking of doing it, it can't be that bad or else why would so many other Brits be going out there for a better lifestyle.

Good luck to anyone who has the guts to do it.

Take Care Lucy x

min Nov 5th 2003 2:12 pm

hello lucy

seems you have done your research. what made you choose almeria. we will be doing a recce on that area in november/december mainly to compare prices with costa del sol which has become v expensive over the last couple of years. from what been reading almeria seems to be up and coming - anyway looking forward to doing some 'research' ourselves - best of luck with your plans.

;)

jdr Nov 5th 2003 2:13 pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=180880

Read the other thread with your title, you will find it interesting.
Have you been to Almeria ?
If you do anything legal, do it with a Spanish lawyer.
Hope your books are up to date cos the laws change nearly as quick as bar owners.
Good luck with your move, and be careful cos you will be new boys on the block, trust nobody till your double sure, and you will be ok.:beer: :beer:

jdr Nov 5th 2003 2:16 pm

Hola min you must have been typing the same time as me :D :D

min Nov 5th 2003 2:18 pm

hi jdr

great minds and all that!! :scared:

Lucky Lucy Nov 5th 2003 2:21 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for your comments, and the reason we choses Almeria is because of the fact that it is an up and coming area and it's the best place to be at the moment and the opportunitys are there. We like Costa Del Sol but the area is to developed for what we are looking for. As for the laws, we found out that they changed frequently as things have changed since we first started our plans a year ago.

I'm really excited about it all and we are lucky that we have a good support network both here in the UK and in Almeria.

We have had it drummed into our heads from day one that we are not to trust anyone so we are hopefully going out there with an openmind and eyes wide open.

JDR are you currently living in spain? If you are where abouts do you live and what you up to?

Cheers
Lucy

min Nov 5th 2003 3:06 pm

hi lucy

think jdr is a millionaire who spends his days messing about on his yacht and drinking champagne? only kidding. good advise we are going to take is rent for at least 3 months and if you no likey go back. did you watch the no going back programme a while back about the 2 couples - one had previously been married to the wife of the other one if you see what I mean. They moved from essex with umpteen cats and dogs and couple of kids to almeria with about £40,000 to open a B&B. now if they can do it!!!:rolleyes:

jdr Nov 5th 2003 3:08 pm

Yeah We live in Benalmedena Pueblo, Costa del crime "according to your press", a couple of miles into the mountains, behind Fuengirola.

I came here to semi retire, but i do more work here than in England.

Notice i didn`t say back home, cos this is my home, i just love it, you wont be sorry with your move!!

If you have any ?, i will try to help out, also dolphingirl lives in Malaga. She gives out good advice, did you read my link ?

regards john
:cool: :cool: ps its stopped raining :D :D

Lucky Lucy Nov 5th 2003 3:18 pm

Hi guys,

Yeah I have read nearly anything on this website that is to do with Spain. Everyone seems really helpful. Good to hear that it's stopped raining.
I have to admit that we haven't watched any of the programmes about moving abroad as we don't want to have any pre-conceived ideas. I'm quite lucky though I lived in greece for 6 months 2 years ago and I know what hard work means but I loved every min of it, even working 16 hours shifts!!

One thing that interest me is what the british community is like out there?

Cheers
Lucy

jdr Nov 5th 2003 5:59 pm

Theres loads of Brits where i am, same as England, good ones bad ones.

Nice to fall back on but better to go to Spanish bars etc, to learn the lingo and way of life. The country changes you ...your not big enough to change the country :)

Dolphingirl Nov 5th 2003 8:27 pm

Hi Lucy, I was looking at Almeria to buy, I have a friend who works for an International Travel company and my only concern was that she told me it became very quiet in the winter months.

But it depends on whether you want to become part of the spanish community or the british expat and who your customers are going to be. A couple who has just brought a restuarant (and one that I pop into) here on the Costa del Sol, Fuengirola area which was originally a heaving spanish bar, what they are finding is that it is alot quieter than they were anticipating, also costs that they werent aware of crept in. So it might be a good idea if you can to have some spare cash behind you just in case. They also had problems with their bank Barclays in transferring money to Unicaja, I dont know what the in´s and outs were but I have had money transferred from Lloyds to Solbank and had no problems and got my ATM card in 3 days. (I dont know if they have a Solbank in Almeria)

The best thing is to spend the winter there as this should give you a good indicator what you may be facing....... alot of people go into an area in the 3 months of tourist time and find it full of people and in the winter months dead as a door nail......

People do come here for a number of reasons, some good, some bad and some ugly, but its not always how long you are prepared to work, if there is no people around it can be soul destroying and I´m seeing that in the couple I have mentioned above and their whole family has sold up and uprooted and they´re not getting too many punters at the moment and they are a lovely family and their foods not bad either.....:D

As John said get a good spanish lawyer, trust no one until proven otherwise and start learning the lingo so you wont feel so isolated. The worst thing here is the paperwork!!! If you buy a car here, you have to have NIE numbers blah blah blah.....:zzz: But I´m sure those who move to the UK equally have a headache....:rolleyes:

Best of luck and give us a shout if you need any more help. Malaga isnt too far away.....

Ciao
Dolphin Girl:)

sibsie Nov 5th 2003 9:01 pm

I'm currently living in Spain (Denia on the Northern Costa Blanca) and have to say I can't get out of the place soon enough. I'm moving on to Canada.

The things I've struggled with here are the the facts that it's 20 years behind the rest of the world. It can seem charming at first but a bit down the road and it can be a nightmare. Getting the smallest things done can take forever. A bad storm knocks out power, water gets turned off without warning and for no apparent reason.

The job opportunities outside of bar work and real esate are non existant and I speak Spanish and there is a high crime rate. I don't know anyone who hasn't been burgled and I live in one of the so called nicer areas.

I'm really not trying to put people off but just remember that it's not always everything it's cracked up to be. The TV shows never really tell it like it is. Winters can be cold and damp and summer, if it's anything like this year can be unbearable.

I definately agree with getting a Spanish lawyer. My sad experience here and that of all my ex pat friends is that it's usually the Brits that charge more, promise what they can't deliver and aren't always as up front as you'd like them to be.

jdr Nov 6th 2003 6:39 am

sibsie

Its the same in all countries mate, just different degrees.

If you think its cold and damp in Spain in the winter wait till you get to Canada, it gets colder and damper than a well diggers arse.

I lived in Richmond, just outside Vancouver for two years, and noticed the crime etc spreading out from the city like most countries, and i am sad to say mostly caused by immigrants.
It will never change though, it was back in caveman times, the one with the biggest stick ruled the cave, its called life.

Same today, only substitute stick for money.

;) ;)

Good luck in Canada

Lucky Lucy Nov 6th 2003 7:31 am

Morning, thanks for all your replies. Thanks for all your information and advice I have taken it all on board. The reason we have chosen to go in January is so that we get to see the resort at it's quietest.

We are learning spanish and have been for the last few months, we're getting there slowly!

As for moving to Canada sibsie, my sister lives there and winters are the coldest thing you will ever experience! But it is a beautiful country. You have to make life what you want it to be. And like I said i lived on a greek island for 6 months and spent some time there in winter months and that was going back to the basic's so i am fully prepared for any electricity or water problems.

Whats your guys views on property management? I was also hoping to expand into maybe buying some property for leasing.

Talk to you later Lucy

Dolphingirl Nov 6th 2003 3:05 pm

Hi sibsie

When I was first thinking of coming out to Spain I drove to Denia, Javea, Alicante, etc, in March 00 but I found it too quiet, so headed back to the Malaga Region.

�nteresting I´m just buying here from a Spanish guy and I wouldnt part with any money until my phone was in......6 days later its in lol. (now got to check if it now working) Now my car is in the workshop, two weeks later and they havent even fixed it, so now they can take as long as they like, because they can pay for my hire car......... But this hasnt been any different to England. Personally had they told me they had a problem picking up the parts I would have gone back to the UK and brought them back......not unknown for me to walk through customs with exhausts, lamps etc, :D

You mention you live in a nice area......hate to tell you but the crooks like nice areas to target........a friend of mine in UK lived also in a very nice area, with good security systems and she got held up by a gunman in her own home...... Being in a nice area wherever you live is no guarantee you are not going to be the victim of crime......the reality is you are more likely to be one.....:(

Going to another country is never easy, but we have to sometimes make our own opportunities, it doesnt always land in our laps, and if plan A doesnt work, then off to plan B.......

Good luck if you choose to go to Canada, but they have winters and crime there too.....its worldwide, some places worse than others.

DolphinGirl.:PARTY:

Originally posted by sibsie
I'm currently living in Spain (Denia on the Northern Costa Blanca) and have to say I can't get out of the place soon enough. I'm moving on to Canada.

The things I've struggled with here are the the facts that it's 20 years behind the rest of the world. It can seem charming at first but a bit down the road and it can be a nightmare. Getting the smallest things done can take forever. A bad storm knocks out power, water gets turned off without warning and for no apparent reason.

The job opportunities outside of bar work and real esate are non existant and I speak Spanish and there is a high crime rate. I don't know anyone who hasn't been burgled and I live in one of the so called nicer areas.

I'm really not trying to put people off but just remember that it's not always everything it's cracked up to be. The TV shows never really tell it like it is. Winters can be cold and damp and summer, if it's anything like this year can be unbearable.

I definately agree with getting a Spanish lawyer. My sad experience here and that of all my ex pat friends is that it's usually the Brits that charge more, promise what they can't deliver and aren't always as up front as you'd like them to be.