Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sitges or Cadiz? schools in these areas

Moving to Sitges or Cadiz? schools in these areas

Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

foxterrier is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Sitges or Cadiz? schools in these areas

Hi - we are a young family with a 5yr old daughter, seriously considering a move to either Sitges or Cadiz region next spring. My job is sorted, as I can work from anywhere remotely, our main concern is schools, and other young families in the area.

I have never been to Cadiz, but heard and read good things about it. Sitges is fab but possibly too expensive for us.

Does anyone have any advice on either area?
It would most appreciated!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sitges or Cadiz? schools in these areas

We are 20 mins from Cadiz and it is a beautiful area. As long as work isn´t a problem you are the right age to move with your daughter. She will learn Spanish very quickly and integrate into the Spanish school system. Like everywhere there is good and bad re the schooling. If you don´t pass your exams in your year you have to stay down and re-take them which can cause problems. I would suggest that you rent for a year and see how it goes. Lack of work is the biggest problem as I see it so if you have that covered you should be fine.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. What area do you live in? Can you suggest areas for us? I have looked on line at Chiclana de Frontera but not sure if its too quiet. we really want to be near the coast, in an area where there are other young families I suppose? It has been suggested that we should rent on a complex for 1st year so my daughter would make friends. If you could suggest any resorts that would be great.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foxterrier
Thanks for the reply. What area do you live in? Can you suggest areas for us? I have looked on line at Chiclana de Frontera but not sure if its too quiet. we really want to be near the coast, in an area where there are other young families I suppose? It has been suggested that we should rent on a complex for 1st year so my daughter would make friends. If you could suggest any resorts that would be great.
Well we live in Chiclana and it definitely is not too quiet and is very near the coast. As for renting on a complex all I can say is that in this area unless you rent in town all the coastal apartments/villas are shut for 10 months of the year so would be very isolating. If your child is five and goes to school he or she will make Spanish friends. There is a drama group for children in this area which you could enrol your child in. Also gymnastic clubs. Go to www.mycadiz.biz and post a thread there.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:27 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

I know people who have a large pink house in Sitges. Lionel and Tarquin had no problem fitting in and quickly got involved in Village life.

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:39 am.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

Sitges is VERY expensive and is nice to visit once in a while, but I wouldn't want to live there - its very touristy.

I live in Gava, which is a few stops before Sitges on the Renfe line going south out of Barcelona - Gava is much cheaper, surrounded by pine forest mountains (great for walking & mountain biking) and full of young families.

There are two areas of Gava, the town and the Gava Mar (which are seperated by agricultural land of about 2.5 km). Gava Mar is fantastic if you have the money to rent/buy a beach side apartment or villa - i think there are quite a few Brits down there (I live in the town).
Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your reply, very useful to hear about suitable areas. We are planning to visit in Nov so will try and stay at Gava. Do you know of any schools by any chance, state or international?

Cheers
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

http://www.safagava.edu/intro.htm This is the link for one of the local schools - however it's just a normal Spanish school, not specifically an international or British school.

However - this place in Castelldefels (only the next town along from Gava towards Sitges) has a British school - see this link -

http://www.britishschoolbarcelona.co...contactar.html

Castelldefels has a fantastic beach (many people come in the summer from Barcelona to sit on Castelldefels beach), and just behind the beach the mountains are very close to the sea and the villas/apartments all have fantastic views. It can be a bit pricey though - I hear that some of Barcelona FC players have houses there! But again, a nice place to live.

More info on Gava - lookie here -

http://www.gavaciutat.net/
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for this info!! its very useful, lots of research to get on with today! Jo