Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Seville (hopefully!)

Moving to Seville (hopefully!)

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Flaguer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Seville (hopefully!)

Hello,

What have you studied or what do you do in England? I mean, you might think of teaching. Here in Seville native teachers of English are needed as private tutors and in schools of languages. You would only have to be very active in your searching to find something, to be successful. I met a couple of guys, one from Scotland and the another from Wales and they told me that they studied Sciences at the university. However, both of them were teaching English in private schools of languages here in Seville.

<<snip>>

Good luck in your new life in Seville!

Last edited by Sue; Sep 22nd 2011 at 8:16 pm. Reason: Please read rule 9 of our site rules. Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Being in the country is the best way to learn Spanish. as long as you're pro-active. Don't move here and just watch the telly in English like my husband does. He's still unemployed
One little problem. In Seville the accent is not the same as you might get used to in classes. Then when you do get used to it you'll start speaking in an Andalucian accent probably.
Last week I was teaching a class in Madrid and the classmembers fell about laughing because I'd picked up such a strong Andalusian accent!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Flaguer is an unknown quantity at this point

Andalusian accent is not wrong as long as you pronunciate correctly every word. It is just an accent. The most difficult thing is to understand some people here. The richness of Spain is the different accents you can find if you go, for example, to Cataluña, Galicia, Madrid or Andalucia. It is also different the accent from Cádiz than the accent from Granada. But it is the same in England with the English speakers from Manchester or Hull and those from London. Luckily, most of schools of languages are focusing currently on helping students to tell the difference among the several Spanish accents (Latinoamerican ones, too!).
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flaguer
Andalusian accent is not wrong as long as you pronunciate correctly every word. It is just an accent. The most difficult thing is to understand some people here. The richness of Spain is the different accents you can find if you go, for example, to Cataluña, Galicia, Madrid or Andalucia. It is also different the accent from Cádiz than the accent from Granada. But it is the same in England with the English speakers from Manchester or Hull and those from London. Luckily, most of schools of languages are focusing currently on helping students to tell the difference among the several Spanish accents (Latinoamerican ones, too!).
I think lots of people would say otherwise. In broad Andalu(z)....of course you wouldn't pronounce the z... many consonants go missing which makes for understanding individual words extremely arduous even if you know what you should be listening for. Nama, for example. Would you know to look out for that in place of nada mas? Uno do tre ...? ma o meno? I seem to be having difficulty finding examples that aren't just the missing final s but there are loads upon loads of times daily you hear a babbled collection of sounds which take quite some separating. It is most definitely not just an accent!
Though you're right of course that the accent varies from place to place, indeed much more specifically than the huge distance from Cadiz to Granada. Those with their 'ear in' can tell the difference between Riogordo and Comares. All of 15km or so apart!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Flaguer;9636796]Andalusian accent is not wrong as long as you pronunciate correctly every word. It is just an accent. QUOTE]

Absolutely

Those who say Andalucians can't speak Spanish are making excuses and again being needlessly derogatory.

Yes it is more difficult to understand than say Spanish from Madrid and they do miss out parts of words, but it is not wrong at all.

It would be like saying Southern Brits are wrong for inserting an "r" in "Bath" or people from Yorkshire are wrong for saying "Goin t' pub"

Diversity is the joy of life!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cricketman;9637526]
Andalusian accent is not wrong as long as you pronunciate correctly every word. It is just an accent. QUOTE]

Absolutely

Those who say Andalucians can't speak Spanish are making excuses and again being needlessly derogatory.

Yes it is more difficult to understand than say Spanish from Madrid and they do miss out parts of words, but it is not wrong at all.

It would be like saying Southern Brits are wrong for inserting an "r" in "Bath" or people from Yorkshire are wrong for saying "Goin t' pub"

Diversity is the joy of life!
No. none of it's wrong and I'm not being "needlessly derogatory". I come from Hull. People who speak English and are not native can't understand my husband at all.
We, in turn find it really difficult to understand people in our Andalusian village and we love them...so we do TRY. Bit by bit we are picking it up but believe me there are other Spaniards who would not understand a word!
A couple of examples of stuff we do understand... But I can't give you those I don't!

Toi naorao (estoy enamorado - I'm in love)
o euo (dos Euros)
na (nada)
bueaa (buenas dias/buenas noches)
raaaa! (Frank -my husband)

Just to let the OP know that there are difficulties in learning Spanish in situ in Seville. A balance can be achieved by watching plenty of News and programmes in Spanish.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:35 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the BE forum.

Rosemary