British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving to Seville (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-seville-719841/)

RachaelAnne1 Jun 6th 2011 7:22 pm

Moving to Seville

Hello Everyone,

I know moving to this area has been covered before but from what I could see it was some time ago, so I thought I would start a new thread! Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.

My partner's company has transfered him to Seville, and he will be working out of the airport as of the 24th June. We have already moved out of our house in the UK and we are staying with family for the next couple of weeks until we go. I have never been to Seville and neither has my partner, and unfortunately we do not have to opportunity to visit within the next couple of weeks, so this will be a totally blind move (we were only told last week that he was being moved there, so will only of had 3 weeks notice!). I have been doing a lot of research and it looks like a lovely place, and as we need to be to the east of the city to be near the airport, we are considering the area of Dos Hermanas. Does anyone have any experience of this area or a better recommendation of area/s for us? We will of course spend some time exploring ourselves when we get there but it would be better to have a good idea before we go as we will be living in a hotel to begin with and would prefer to be settled in a place as soon as possible. Having done some searches online, I am also struggling to find names of letting agents in Seville. Does anyone know where I might find a list as I would like to email them my details and plans to speed the process along a little.

I will not be working myself, and am very much looking forward to integrating into the local community and meeting people. I am also keen to learn the language and therefore we would like to be in an area where there is a sense of community life, close to amenities but yet not in the hustle and bustle of the centre.

Thanks for the replies in advance. I am getting a little nervous about the task ahead, but I can appreciate that one can only prepare so much from the UK, and really we just have to get out there and get on with it!

Many Thanks x

Cazzy1 Jun 6th 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Moving to Seville

We live about 45 mins east of the airport near a town called Ecija. Sevilla is a lovely city, very expensive to rent in the center. If you really want to integrate with the Spanish, you would be better in one of the smaller towns or villages that are close to Sevilla, where it will be easier to mix and make friends. If we can be of any help please let me know. We know the area quite well.

Caz

bxpuser24710519 Jun 6th 2011 9:36 pm

Try sevilla5.com

If you are connected to Airbus then I can maybe get you some names of other ladies that meet up in Sevilla. I am west of the city, I really like Sevilla.

onlineamiga Jun 6th 2011 10:10 pm

Dont know much about Seville itself, as I've only passed through it. Though i will be visiting the city on Saturday on my way to Portugal. All I can say is. I hope you like heat. Because Seville is hot hot hot! Its in the 30s already whereas the Costa Del Sol is in the mid 20s.
It hits high 30s and beyond in July August and September. Tho its a very dry heat.

Rosemary Jun 7th 2011 5:48 am

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

There are quite a few members living in and around Seville so we are sure that you will gain a great deal of insight prior to your move and also afterwards. Enjoy your research and have fun joining in.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham

Fredbargate Jun 7th 2011 6:13 am

My experience of Seville / Sevilla is limited to travelling through or around to get to other places. However the traffic can be horrendous especially at rush hours. Dos Hermanas is to the South and travelling to the airport could be very frustrating.

onlineamiga's comment about the heat needs to be heeded, be sure whatever accommodation you take has got good airconditioning.

bxpuser24710519 Jun 7th 2011 7:03 am

Shame on you Fred ! :)

Yes Sevilla in the height of the summer is unbearable,which is why a lot of locals head for their summer houses at the beach for all of August.
As I live 12k out I forget just how hot it can be. Yes aircon would be needed and a pool if possible, best way to cool down before bed is to spend half hour in it. In the centre it hit 52c a few years back.

RachaelAnne1 Jun 7th 2011 7:08 am

Thank you for the replies. I have heard that Ecija is a nice place so we will be visiting there before making any decisions. Ideally I would like to be somewhere that has easy enough access into the centre by either bus or metro, as I will not have a car to use when my partner is at work.

I will heed the advice on the heat and will be staying in the air conditioning!

Many Thanks,

Rachael x

RachaelAnne1 Jun 7th 2011 7:11 am

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 9414620)
Try sevilla5.com

If you are connected to Airbus then I can maybe get you some names of other ladies that meet up in Sevilla. I am west of the city, I really like Sevilla.

Hello,

He is not connected to Airbus but he is a pilot, so I am hoping there will be other ladies like myself that fancy getting together. You get use to this moving malarchy but not the meeting people part- that is always difficult!

R x

micmc47 Jun 7th 2011 7:38 am

Hi, Hope your move goes well. Advice about the summer heat should certainly be heeded. I live on the Algarve, about a 2 hour drive from Seville, which I have visited often - but never in July/August. The heat there is horrendous. It can be a balmy 28 here on the coast, and 46 or more in Seville centre.
Traffic is also a nightmare, and don't rely on GPS because it can't cope with the city's one way system - or the seemingly permanent roadworks and diversions. I'd certainly look for accommodation to the east of the city (airport side) in one of the surrounding towns. Wherever you end up, yes, aircon is a must for the summer months. :)
P.S. Having said all that Seville is a stunningly beautiful city with a vibrant street culture, great tapas bars and restaurants, and some amazing festivals. Enjoy!

big wheels Jun 7th 2011 8:44 am

Ejica is a beautiful place but can be even hotter.

It is known as La Sartén de Andalucia (the Frying-Pan of Andalucia) for good reason. :eek:

Cazzy1 Jun 7th 2011 9:53 am

Originally Posted by RachaelAnne1 (Post 9415572)
Thank you for the replies. I have heard that Ecija is a nice place so we will be visiting there before making any decisions. Ideally I would like to be somewhere that has easy enough access into the centre by either bus or metro, as I will not have a car to use when my partner is at work.

I will heed the advice on the heat and will be staying in the air conditioning!

Many Thanks,

Rachael x

Ecija used to be the capital of andalucia, and is a beautiful town, if you visit let us know and we will show you around. Rental is also a reasonable price. There is a bus to the airport but you are too far out for the metro.

RachaelAnne1 Jun 7th 2011 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Cazzy1 (Post 9415847)
Ecija used to be the capital of andalucia, and is a beautiful town, if you visit let us know and we will show you around. Rental is also a reasonable price. There is a bus to the airport but you are too far out for the metro.

Thank you Cazzy, that is very kind. Properties certainly look more than reasonable in the area of Ecija, so I am very excited to have a look. We are also hoping to bring our dog out once we are settled, so a garden is essential for me (I say me...... my partner could probably live without her but I certainly can't!!!).

Cazzy1 Jun 7th 2011 3:53 pm

If you want a garden in central Sevilla it will cost a fortune!!! We came over here with 2 dogs, both adapted well to the heat. I have Spanish friends in Ecija who run a language school, they might also know of some rental properties which might cut out the agencies.

RachaelAnne1 Jun 7th 2011 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cazzy1 (Post 9416624)
If you want a garden in central Sevilla it will cost a fortune!!! We came over here with 2 dogs, both adapted well to the heat. I have Spanish friends in Ecija who run a language school, they might also know of some rental properties which might cut out the agencies.

Yes the ones I have seen in the centre are extortionate! Thank you for your replies so far it has been really helpful. I work in estate agency and lettings myself in the UK but not sure how much it will help me in Spain!