British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   moving personal effects to Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-personal-effects-spain-827515/)

Chester50 Mar 4th 2014 7:02 pm

transporting personal items to Spain - any advice

Can anyone recommend van hire to self drive to costa del sol from the Midlands or what others ways have you moved things to Spain

Rosemary Mar 4th 2014 8:08 pm

Re: moving personal effects to Spain

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

IamStu Mar 6th 2014 1:15 pm

Re: transporting personal items to Spain - any advice

Originally Posted by Chester50 (Post 11158334)
Can anyone recommend van hire to self drive to costa del sol from the Midlands or what others ways have you moved things to Spain

Hi Chester.
I moved from my last job in Ireland to Spain a few years ago.
I rememeber having a similar problem looking for van hire. Issues with vehicle registration etc.
I ended up boxing up all my stuff (except my wife and my dog) and sending it DHL.
It arrived safe and sound about 2 weeks later and was really very inexpensive compared to the alternatives.
Just a thought....
Being a bit nosey now as I´m a bit bored, where are you going? I live in the Costa del Sol and loving it :D

Bri and Katee Mar 6th 2014 5:04 pm

In January we used Way2go van rental- they have a depot close to Burton on Trent nr Derby. Good service all vehicles less than a year old, ours was an 11 month old Luton style box van. They also do the long wheelbase high roof transit vans.

What I would say is work out the mileage you are going to cover then work out how much fuel, they both do around 28 to 33 miles to the gallon. The luton van was on fumes when we arrived in Portsmouth from Humberside. In Spain we had to fill 4 times between Bilbao and Murcia.

They have a return depot close to Malaga as well- you pick up with a full tank and return vehicle with a full tank when you are finished. Also work out your timeframe against ferry sailings! You pay for 4 days and get the 5th for free. However don't forget you will lose a day on the ferry and you have to get to the ferry from the midlands as well. For us we picked it up on the monday, drove back to Hull loaded vehicle and left on the tuesday night for the ferry on wed morning. Arrived Bilbao on the thursday and drove down in one go arriving at 10pm. Spent 4 hours unloading van and then returned it to the depot by lunchtime on the friday. Its all go for 5 days and maybe getting a 6th would be better for you.

Chester50 Mar 8th 2014 7:37 am

Re: transporting personal items to Spain - any advice

Originally Posted by IamStu (Post 11160971)
Hi Chester.
I moved from my last job in Ireland to Spain a few years ago.
I rememeber having a similar problem looking for van hire. Issues with vehicle registration etc.
I ended up boxing up all my stuff (except my wife and my dog) and sending it DHL.
It arrived safe and sound about 2 weeks later and was really very inexpensive compared to the alternatives.
Just a thought....
Being a bit nosey now as I´m a bit bored, where are you going? I live in the Costa del Sol and loving it :D

Hi Stu

We are looking at whether van hire or delivery by DHL etc is the best option and finding out how other people have transported their goods and what obstacles they might have faced along the way. We are moving to Calahonda and moving in June. Where abouts are you?

Chester50 Mar 8th 2014 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee (Post 11161320)
In January we used Way2go van rental- they have a depot close to Burton on Trent nr Derby. Good service all vehicles less than a year old, ours was an 11 month old Luton style box van. They also do the long wheelbase high roof transit vans.

What I would say is work out the mileage you are going to cover then work out how much fuel, they both do around 28 to 33 miles to the gallon. The luton van was on fumes when we arrived in Portsmouth from Humberside. In Spain we had to fill 4 times between Bilbao and Murcia.

They have a return depot close to Malaga as well- you pick up with a full tank and return vehicle with a full tank when you are finished. Also work out your timeframe against ferry sailings! You pay for 4 days and get the 5th for free. However don't forget you will lose a day on the ferry and you have to get to the ferry from the midlands as well. For us we picked it up on the monday, drove back to Hull loaded vehicle and left on the tuesday night for the ferry on wed morning. Arrived Bilbao on the thursday and drove down in one go arriving at 10pm. Spent 4 hours unloading van and then returned it to the depot by lunchtime on the friday. Its all go for 5 days and maybe getting a 6th would be better for you.

Hi Bri and Katee

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We have looked on the web at one way van hire and we have also seen a Company who want to transport you themselves to try and put you off self drive. We have looked on the website of Way to go already and didnt really think about how well you need to plan everything to get loaded up, over to Spain, unload and take the van to the depot in Malaga.

Did you have 2 drivers