British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving our furniture and goods to the Costa Del Sol (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-our-furniture-goods-costa-del-sol-908878/)

vh3 Feb 6th 2018 5:17 pm

Moving our furniture and goods to the Costa Del Sol

Hi, Apologies if this has been asked before. Now that we have decided to plan for the next stage in our lives, we are looking at transporting our goods from Canada to Spain. Has anyone had experience on moving their household goods? I read a long list of pre-requirements and wasn't sure if this was the case or not.

We were due to go back to the UK but decided life is too short and fun is still to be had:) :wink_smile:

missile Feb 6th 2018 10:09 pm

Re: Moving our furniture and goods to the Costa Del Sol

Unless someone else is paying for transportation / you have sentimental attachment then I doubt it will be worth the cost of moving household goods. Personal effect yes, but sofas et al, you can buy new for the cost of shipping from Canada.

vh3 Feb 6th 2018 10:31 pm

I know but we are really undecided about whether or not to keep some things or not. Certainly we will be taking all our art work etc but the rest, still in discussion.

lurchio Feb 8th 2018 1:29 pm

The more 'cubes', the more money and its a costing exercise for you. Your furniture may also not suit your sunny home on the Med! Good news is the CdS will have lots of furniture stores and large shops full of ordinary and bespoke stuff, second hand as well. Moorish even. I think there's at least one Ikea, if thats your bag. Unless its an emotional attachment, its probably not cost effective to ship it, and you could be without anywhere to sit for a long time as you wait for the container to arrive!

vh3 Feb 8th 2018 3:55 pm

We will definitely ship our kitchen stuff etc. as we have built a nice collection over the years (I know, dishes can get to you). I am slowly working on hubby that we may not move with all the stuff he hopes to take.... It wont be until the Summer of 2020 but if we start to plan slowly it gives us time to get rid of the stuff we know we wont take.

It seems like a long way until that time but I know it will pass quickly.

missile Feb 8th 2018 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by vh3 (Post 12437786)
We will definitely ship our kitchen stuff etc. as we have built a nice collection over the years (I know, dishes can get to you). .....

Must be a woman thing? :eek:

Cape Blue Feb 8th 2018 10:01 pm

You might want to consider if your North American furniture will fit in a Spanish home - I found things in the US and Canada often a lot larger than their European counterparts - that went for cars, people, sofas and beds.

missile Feb 9th 2018 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12438040)
... I found things in the US and Canada often a lot larger - that went for ... people, ....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

vh3 Feb 13th 2018 3:41 pm

Well, we spent our weekend having a good look at our furniture and given we are not planning to move until 2020 I don't think we will be taking that much with us, anymore. All our personal things, kitchen wear, artwork etc but no heavy bulky stuff. We also figured out what 20 cubic feet looked like and agree no more than that:)

:fingerscrossed:

lurchio Feb 13th 2018 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by vh3 (Post 12441229)
Well, we spent our weekend having a good look at our furniture and given we are not planning to move until 2020 I don't think we will be taking that much with us, anymore. All our personal things, kitchen wear, artwork etc but no heavy bulky stuff. We also figured out what 20 cubic feet looked like and agree no more than that:)

:fingerscrossed:

Now you are thinking!Exciting prospects, good!

vh3 Feb 13th 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks Lurchio, it was all about getting the OH on board, lol

Pulaski Feb 13th 2018 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by vh3 (Post 12441229)
.... We also figured out what 20 cubic feet looked like and agree no more than that. ....

Are you sure? :unsure: That's less than a standard freight pallet (approx 3ftĂ—4ft) stacked two feet high! :blink:

vh3 Feb 13th 2018 5:53 pm

No, I am not sure.... I just found this... the most common dimensions for a 20-foot (6.1 m) container are 20 feet (6.1 m) long, 8 feet (2.44 m) wide, and 8 feet 6 inches (2.59 m) high, for a volume of 1,360 cubic feet (39 m3).

So, a big difference from 20 foot to 20 cubic feet - like 1340 cub feet!

Pulaski Feb 13th 2018 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by vh3 (Post 12441334)
No, I am not sure.... I just found this... the most common dimensions for a 20-foot (6.1 m) container are 20 feet (6.1 m) long, 8 feet (2.44 m) wide, and 8 feet 6 inches (2.59 m) high, for a volume of 1,360 cubic feet (39 m3).

So, a big difference from 20 foot to 20 cubic feet - like 1340 cub feet!

Ah yes, "a 20ft container" is what many people use for international relocation, which is very different from 20cuft! In practice I believe that a 20ft container is usually considered to be 1,100 cuft as loading the very top is impractical or ill-advised.