Reload this Page >

Moving to North Tenerife/ Weather

Moving to North Tenerife/ Weather

Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

eileen66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to North Tenerife/ Weather

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are thinking of moving to North Tenerife but my husband is very concerned that weather will be cloudy and rainy. Is this a cliche?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:11 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to North Tenerife/ Weather

Originally Posted by eileen66
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are thinking of moving to North Tenerife but my husband is very concerned that weather will be cloudy and rainy. Is this a cliche?
Comfortable temperatures most of the year.
Much more cloud than in the South but still a fair amount of sunshine.
More rain than in the South, but not so often as to make it unpleasant.

Overall a decent climate for those who do not want to bake in constant sunshine all day every day, IMHO.

I'm referring there mainly to the Puerto de la Cruz area.
Over in Santa Cruz, more sun and a bit less cloud and rain.
Also a pleasant climate overall.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:12 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for info. I am keen to move to the North so not what I wanted to hear as my main reason for wanting to leave Scotland are the grey skies. Do you live in Puerto? Can you give me any advice on nice areas to buy a villa and ex pat activities, my husband will be working offshore for half of the year so would like to be able to keep myself busy.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:19 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for info. I am keen to move to the North so not what I wanted to hear as my main reason for wanting to leave Scotland are the grey skies. Do you live in Puerto? Can you give me any advice on nice areas to buy a villa and ex pat activities, my husband will be working offshore for half of the year so would like to be able to keep myself busy.
It's quite a while since I lived in Tenerife, so I'm probably out of touch in most respects.
Very few members on here from TF either, possibly mainly because it has it's own specialized forum where you can find out just about all the up to date info you may ever need.
I suggest you look on the "Tenerife Forum"
It's a lovely island with much to see and do outside the main touristy areas.

Best of Luck.

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forum.php
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for reply, I have tried the Tenerife Forum before but did not get any replies, I will try again.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Eileen, I don't really know Tenerife but had a week in Puerto de la Cruz in July a couple years back. For me, it was too grey and cold - most of the time it was uncomfortable to be outside even during the day without a decent jacket.

There were some brighter, slightly warmer days and I may have just been unlucky but the locals told me that grey and cool is normal. They even have a name for the bank of low cloud that hangs almost permanently over that part of the island - la panza de burro. It's not far to cross to the other side of the island - Santa Cruz is the main town and is much warmer and sunnier.

I liked Puerto de la Cruz, but don't think I'd like to live there, just for that reason.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I keep hoping that someone will tell me it's not that bad because I would prefer to live in the North. I had looked at Santa Cruz area because I love the beach and thought that Las Teresitas looked fantastic, but then everyone says it's really windy on that coast and I assumed as it is in the North it would be just as cloudy as Puerto. Having experienced El Medano , I know I wouldn't like the constant wind. I probably sound so hard to please, but it's such a big decision that I want to get it right.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Chickpea is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently live in Santa Cruz and the weather is unbelievable. It´s sunny 99% of the time and the average temperature is 22 degrees. I dont live in the centre because of the noise but higher up in near los campitos Ifara. It´s a very peaceful area.

I used to live in los realejos next to Puerto de la cruz and I did find there were many days of clouds. You see Puerto is very close to La oratava valley, the clouds gather there and come down. Usually it was sunny in the morning then it would begin to get cloudy by the afternoon. I think the weather is very unpredictable in the north. On the other hand, if you dont speak Spanish there are a lot of English people who reside there and plenty of activites set up by the local English library. (car boot sales, book clubs)

Good luck!
Old Aug 31st 2013, 8:17 am
On the road again.

I tend to agree with Chickpeas assessment, however I notice that Eilleen is concerned about the prevailing wind.
It is normally more of a gentle refreshing Easterly breeze than what I personally consider to be a wind anyway.
Also it is probably more noticeable in Las Galletas to the South than in Santa Cruz.
At a guess I would say that is possibly due to Santa Cruz lying West of the leeward coast of Grand Canaria.

Tenerife is an island with several distinct micro-climates, so with personal transport readily available, it is even possible to choose your own particular preference of weather on any given day, subject to a relatively short car ride.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

traceyhampshire is an unknown quantity at this point

yes it can sometimes be cloudy in the north, but not as much as people are led to belive , i live in a small town just a little further up the coast from purto de la cruz, called icod de los vinos, i lived in puerto for 3 years before moving here, & i find the weather is lovely, you do get some cloud & rain but not too much, it is usually warm & sunny, when the rain arrives it is very much welcome & refreshing, it s what keeps this side of the island so wonderfully pretty & green, instead of the baren landscape of the south, you will find that puerto has many english people living there & in the surrounding areas, you will find that puerto de la cruz has actually one of the nicest & most temperate climates on the island x
Old Dec 30th 2013, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Golden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to all

Hi Eileen,

My in laws moved to La Orotava, they were there for I think 22 years..

We have had many wonderful holidays in Tenerife, including a few where we chose not to stay with the in-laws as full house, instead staying in the South in a hotel and having visits with them.

My preference is the North.. As was the in-laws...
Do you really really want 365 days of sunshine, sometimes it's nice to have an 'occasional' break from the sun and heat..

What we discovered was on the breaks where it was important to us to 'find sunshine' as we only had a limited number of days to get that winter tan we would head up the mountain.. In the Orotava Valley if you couldn't see the top of teide, you would know you could climb above it into the sun..
There is a reason why Puerto de la Cruz & La Orotava are so lush, they have some rain.. Playa de las Americas et al.. Desert.. They don't..

I found the North, more cultured, more diverse and less full of British and German lager louts out for Cheap booze, cheap cigs, and cheap thrills..

We are considering a move to Spain.. We want the mainland as we want to travel all of Europe, if this wasn't the case it would be Puerto de la Cruz and surrounding areas in a heartbeat.. The south would be there for the occasional day trip..

During the night the clouds would leave the island and head out to sea.. By mid to late afternoon there would be some cloud cover in 'winter' as temperature changes pulled the clouds back in over the Island..