Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving near Barcelona with child and pets

Moving near Barcelona with child and pets

Old Oct 21st 2016, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Holly989blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving near Barcelona with child and pets

Hello! I'm thinking of moving from cold, bleak Scotland to sunny Spain! I've been to Barcelona 4 times and just love the place. However, I doubt I could afford to live in the city itself (plus, I have a son, 2 cats and a dog so would prefer a bit of outside space). I've read a bit online and can see that Badalona and Mataro are close by, as well as Castelldefels. Does anyone have any experience of these places? Also, if we were to learn as much Spanish as we can during the next few months to a year, do you think my 9 year old would be able to manage a Spanish school? He is very bright and does really well at school here. However, I don't want him to fall behind due to the language barrier. I doubt I can afford a private British school though (I currently work in a bank but would like to do CELTA and teach English). What about biligual schools; are they any cheaper?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Oct 21st 2016, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving near Barcelona with child and pets

I don't live in Spain permanently but have a place around an hour away from Barcelona but north. If you are looking for outside space Castelldefels won't be that cheap either depending what you consider cheap. You get a lot more value for your money if you go a bit further inland from Barcelona, Vallès Oriental for example and then urbanisations outside Malgrat, Blanes, Lloret are cheap and very quiet but obviously have longer commutes. Depends if you are renting or buying and what will you be doing, or let's say do you have a job? Your child will have to learn Catalan & Spanish, so that might be a problem but of course kids learn quicker than adults.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Holly989blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Moses! I'd be renting at first, until I'm certain I like the area, and don't think I can go over 800 euros..maybe 1,000 at the very most. Like I say, I'd have a CELTA certificate and have some teaching experience already, so I would hope to do that
I imagine my son would learn the languages in school...however, to learn Spanish AND Catalan may be a bit overwhelming for him. Maybe I could look into a private school for the 1st year, which wouldn't be so much of a shock, and then move him after that.
Thanks for your advice though - I'll take a look at the areas you suggest!
Old Oct 21st 2016, 2:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holly989blue
Hello! I'm thinking of moving from cold, bleak Scotland to sunny Spain! I've been to Barcelona 4 times and just love the place. However, I doubt I could afford to live in the city itself (plus, I have a son, 2 cats and a dog so would prefer a bit of outside space). I've read a bit online and can see that Badalona and Mataro are close by, as well as Castelldefels. Does anyone have any experience of these places? Also, if we were to learn as much Spanish as we can during the next few months to a year, do you think my 9 year old would be able to manage a Spanish school? He is very bright and does really well at school here. However, I don't want him to fall behind due to the language barrier. I doubt I can afford a private British school though (I currently work in a bank but would like to do CELTA and teach English). What about biligual schools; are they any cheaper?
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 7:56 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holly989blue
At 9yrs old your son may struggle and you will need to invest heavily in private lessons for him (and yourself) in order to ensure he is at a good enough level to get to high school (12yrs old). Remember if your son fails any year he will have to repeat that year

2 other things
1. If you can get a job at an international school your sons fees may be reduced

2. Remember in schools in Barcelona the main teaching language will almost certainly be Catalan and NOT Spanish which will be the second language taught.