Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Moriara with young children

Moving to Moriara with young children

Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:45 am
Just Joined

bowdeng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Moriara with young children

Hi, New to this but after owning a Villa in Moraira for around 5 years we are looking at moving over full time this summer! My wife has many more concerns than I do so would like some advise on schools and kids clubs to help my wife feel better about the move and also meet friends for both her and the children quickly! The boys are 7 and 10 and both been spending 3 months a year in Spain for most of there lives.

I hope I can get some good feedback on this post, we have family over there but feel it very important for my wife and kids to gain a social network quickly as I do work a lot.

The boys both do Jujitsu so would love to find a local club with this type of martial art or similar, and the oldest is also in the Cub Scouts.

Thanks in advance Gary
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:20 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Moriara with young children

Originally Posted by bowdeng
Hi, New to this but after owning a Villa in Moraira for around 5 years we are looking at moving over full time this summer! My wife has many more concerns than I do so would like some advise on schools and kids clubs to help my wife feel better about the move and also meet friends for both her and the children quickly! The boys are 7 and 10 and both been spending 3 months a year in Spain for most of there lives.

I hope I can get some good feedback on this post, we have family over there but feel it very important for my wife and kids to gain a social network quickly as I do work a lot.

The boys both do Jujitsu so would love to find a local club with this type of martial art or similar, and the oldest is also in the Cub Scouts.

Thanks in advance Gary
Hi

I'm just up the road a bit in Jávea!

as long as you have income sorted I wouldn't worry at all about the move

your older boy is 'borderline' for going into Spanish school, but with support he should be fine & the younger one should have no problems at all!

I don't know about those kinds of clubs in Moraira, but we certainly have martial arts clubs for kids in Jávea

& I didn't think we had scouting in Spain, but it seems I was wrong - I haven't looked to see if there's a group near Moraira though http://www.scoutsfee.org/english.html
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

perdiu83 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a karate club just up the road in benitachell school.

Would you be sending the kids to Spanish school or an international school?

Veterano
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by perdiu83
There is a karate club just up the road in benitachell school.

Would you be sending the kids to Spanish school or an international school?

Veterano
Hi, Thanks for the feedback, We have not decided yet but with my Oldest been 10 I am considering The Lady Elizabeth School. I will be over with the family for a week at Easter and plan to arrange a visit.

Thanks Gary
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
Hi

I'm just up the road a bit in Jávea!

as long as you have income sorted I wouldn't worry at all about the move

your older boy is 'borderline' for going into Spanish school, but with support he should be fine & the younger one should have no problems at all!

I don't know about those kinds of clubs in Moraira, but we certainly have martial arts clubs for kids in Jávea

& I didn't think we had scouting in Spain, but it seems I was wrong - I haven't looked to see if there's a group near Moraira though http://www.scoutsfee.org/english.html
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply, Looking forward to moving to the sun soon. Any club contacts would always be helpful and apappreciated)
Old Feb 19th 2013, 11:10 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Thanks for the feedback, We have not decided yet but with my Oldest been 10 I am considering The Lady Elizabeth School. I will be over with the family for a week at Easter and plan to arrange a visit.

Thanks Gary
good choice

in answer to your other post, my girls aren't into that sort of thing, but if you do FB this group is a mine of hyper-local information

Javea Connect
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:01 am
Just Joined

vonnie1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI ive just moved to torrevieja 5 weeks ago, schooling is pretty hard at the moment ie homewrk, does your children speak any spanish??? my kids are 6 and 8 they both had spanish lessons approx 1yr before coming to spain, my 6 yr old has stated p1 here in spain (she was in p2 in uk) so she is starting from begining really so i think she will be ok, my 8 year old is in p3 (p4 back in uk) and is struggling a bit, school have already advise us he will have to repeat yr 3 as his spanish isnt that great so he need to be able to speak it as the work in p4 would be to hard for him, i find this really hard as my boy was in top class on everything back in uk but if you cant speak the lanuage proper i suppose there no choice but repeat a yr.. hope it all works out for you x
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vonnie1975
HI ive just moved to torrevieja 5 weeks ago, schooling is pretty hard at the moment ie homewrk, does your children speak any spanish??? my kids are 6 and 8 they both had spanish lessons approx 1yr before coming to spain, my 6 yr old has stated p1 here in spain (she was in p2 in uk) so she is starting from begining really so i think she will be ok, my 8 year old is in p3 (p4 back in uk) and is struggling a bit, school have already advise us he will have to repeat yr 3 as his spanish isnt that great so he need to be able to speak it as the work in p4 would be to hard for him, i find this really hard as my boy was in top class on everything back in uk but if you cant speak the lanuage proper i suppose there no choice but repeat a yr.. hope it all works out for you x
Thanks for your feedback, Are they in state school?? this is one of the reasons I am considering international school or would they still have the same language problem?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:29 am
Just Joined

HI bowdeng yes they are in state school, i wouldnt imagin they would have that problem in international school as the will speak english ther, they only speak spanish in my kids school x
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vonnie1975
HI bowdeng yes they are in state school, i wouldnt imagin they would have that problem in international school as the will speak english ther, they only speak spanish in my kids school x
OK, Looks like the expensive option is the only one I have , Crazy thing is I have been going out there for 10 years so my own fault for not getting them in to the language.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

OK, Looks like the expensive option is the only one I have , Crazy thing is I have been going out there for 10 years so my own fault for not getting them in to the language.
Do you speak Spanish yourself? That would be the biggest help for your children

There was a report recently into the trouble foreign students have in Spanish schools in the Alicante area. They concluded that British children had more problems than any other nationality because the parents took zero interest in their children's education or in Spanish culture and language in general - so the children thought there was no point in learning Spanish

Very sad stories, the kids end up with no education and are normally playing truent by the time they are a teenager
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman

There was a report recently into the trouble foreign students have in Spanish schools in the Alicante area. They concluded that British children had more problems than any other nationality because the parents took zero interest in their children's education or in Spanish culture and language in general - so the children thought there was no point in learning Spanish

Very sad stories, the kids end up with no education and are normally playing truent by the time they are a teenager
Just the very basics I am afraid, I have found it very hard and even when I try to improve find it difficult to be able to speak with people in Spanish. No excuse and plan for both me and the wife to push ourselves a lot more to help the kids.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman

No i dont speak spanish but i am willing to start now, and help as much as i can for my kids to pik it up xx
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Just the very basics I am afraid, I have found it very hard and even when I try to improve find it difficult to be able to speak with people in Spanish. No excuse and plan for both me and the wife to push ourselves a lot more to help the kids.
Sounds good - lead by example! Everybody can learn a language to a good standard, just means lots of effort and exposure

e.g. watch some (or all) Spanish TV at home, buy Spanish newspapers, Spanish radio etc. On the Costas it is very easy to do everything in English and have a similar life to what you had in the UK, but this can have a terrible impact on the eduction of children who need all those reference points in Spanish if they are going to do well in the Spanish education system.

Another point is that the Spanish education is very selective. Children who dont do very well (bottom 30%) will fail and leave school with nothing. Your children need to be among the top 30% if they want to have the opportunity to go to university - and therefore have a chance of getting a good job either in or out of Spain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.