British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving money from U.K.to Spain WARNING (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-money-u-k-spain-warning-537503/)

jimmy23 May 19th 2008 7:14 pm

Moving money from U.K.to Spain WARNING

On May the 9th I instructed my bank in Scotland to move a four figure sum of money to my bank in Spain. On the 19th May I realised that the transfer had not arrived in my Spanish bank. I phoned my bank in Scotland only to be told that the money had left my account in Scotland and they did not know where it was at this time. They were however willing to carry out an investigation but would have to charge me £12 for admin. costs.
Needless to say that I was aggrieved at the loss of the money from my account made worse by having to pay to have it found.
You may think the cost is justified and costs would be incurred between banks. However the bank in Scotland and the bank in Spain are one and the same bank.
In the end I sorted the problem by myself at the cost of long international phone calls needless to say no offer of compensation for expenses incurred or loss of interest whilst money in another account.
This banks slogan is that it gives you more. In this instance grief.
Be Warned

jdr May 19th 2008 7:46 pm

Re: Moving money from U.K.to Spain WARNING

You may find that although the bank names are the same, they are nothing to do with each other.

keddyboy May 19th 2008 7:52 pm

I can say with my hand on my heart that Halifax Espania is he same as the Halifax in the UK. Barclays Bank in Spain has nothing to do with ditto in UK.
Look before you leap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poshnbucks May 19th 2008 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 6368026)
You may find that although the bank names are the same, they are nothing to do with each other.

Try not to use a Bank in the first place, Their rates are rather poor use a money trader like HIFX who charge nothing for the transfer to Madrid or the onward transfer to your bank within Spain http://www.hifx.co.uk/ or one of the other traders mentioned in free beer

jurdyr May 22nd 2008 6:20 pm

you can transfer money via inter net bank for 1 Euro from uk to spain via your i ban No it takes 4 working days and i all was get it
I BAN -
Series of alphanumeric characters that uniquely identifies an account held at a bank. Countries have standard account numbering systems.

No problem with it have dooing it for last 2 - 3 years
and no big free are lost money
jurdy

Mitzyboy May 22nd 2008 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by jurdyr (Post 6381353)
you can transfer money via inter net bank for 1 Euro from uk to spain via your i ban No it takes 4 working days and i all was get it
I BAN -
Series of alphanumeric characters that uniquely identifies an account held at a bank. Countries have standard account numbering systems.

No problem with it have dooing it for last 2 - 3 years
and no big free are lost money
jurdy

A lot of banks charge you for that, and give you crap rates of exchange .... which bank do you use?

mikelincs May 22nd 2008 6:43 pm

I just transfered a laod of money to the UK just using the bank, charged 18€ for transfer, and it was quite a large sum, and is was in the recipeints bank account AND usable within 4 HOURS.

jurdyr May 22nd 2008 6:52 pm

AIB UK and AIB ireland are the two banks i used , that shipped to spanish bank wich is lacaixa

jimmy23 May 23rd 2008 7:27 pm

I used HBOS to transfer my money. There was no charge for this as I was transferring money from the Bank of Scotland to Banco Halifax Hispania one and the same company. Hence my objection to paying £12 for the bank to look for my money that they had lost in their own bank.