British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving To mallorca and taking the car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-mallorca-taking-car-834362/)

Zuco May 20th 2014 5:15 pm

Moving To mallorca and taking the car

Hi everyone

I am moving to mallorca end of august and want to take my 2005 passat with me....I know I'm moving to the banana republic so I know it will be lots of paperwork but i speak Spanish so that shouldn't be a problem...trying to find out a costing for it.....I am a resident but moved away and now returning...

So can anyone tell me Exactly how I work out the Registration tax...do I need and certificate of conformity....And what other stuff I need......what is the law on rear lights?
and how long do i have to register it?
I would be really grateful for your advice

Madridboy May 20th 2014 5:39 pm

Re: Moving To mallorca and taking the car

With the recession driving (pun intended) down car prices you may find you'd get a real bargain over here rather than bring your own car over.

Zuco May 20th 2014 5:47 pm

well say the transfer costs 2000 what can I get for that?

Rosemary May 20th 2014 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Zuco (Post 11268401)
Hi everyone

I am moving to mallorca end of august and want to take my 2005 passat with me....I know I'm moving to the banana republic so I know it will be lots of paperwork but i speak Spanish so that shouldn't be a problem...trying to find out a costing for it.....I am a resident but moved away and now returning...

So can anyone tell me Exactly how I work out the Registration tax...do I need and certificate of conformity....And what other stuff I need......what is the law on rear lights?
and how long do i have to register it?
I would be really grateful for your advice

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Madridboy May 20th 2014 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Zuco (Post 11268468)
well say the transfer costs 2000 what can I get for that?

Plus what you'd get for your Passat? Have a look, maybe worthwhile buying Spanish. http://www.milanuncios.com/coches-de...res/?demanda=n

Zuco May 20th 2014 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Madridboy (Post 11268651)
Plus what you'd get for your Passat? Have a look, maybe worthwhile buying Spanish. http://www.milanuncios.com/coches-de...res/?demanda=n

Yes but I also have to add on the cost of transporting stuff....which incs the dogs!

amideislas May 20th 2014 7:40 pm

Assuming your Passat is RHD, it's worth less than the transport costs, and matriculating it here will probably cost €2K by the time you're done.

A used 2005 Passat (LHD) in decent condition can be bought for well under €3K here, if not under €2K.

If you bring the car, do it with the realisation that it's probably worth less than €1K in cash value. I wouldn't bother matriculating it. Will cost more than it's worth.

Zuco May 20th 2014 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11268671)
Assuming your Passat is RHD, it's worth less than the transport costs, and matriculating it here will probably cost €2K by the time you're done.

A used 2005 Passat (LHD) in decent condition can be bought for well under €3K here, if not under €2K.

If you bring the car, do it with the realisation that it's probably worth less than €1K in cash value. I wouldn't bother matriculating it. Will cost more than it's worth.

do you have any contacts for the second hand market?

Madridboy May 20th 2014 7:44 pm

I posted a link with a reply! http://www.milanuncios.com/coches-de...res/?demanda=n

amideislas May 20th 2014 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Zuco (Post 11268676)
do you have any contacts for the second hand market?

What madridboy said, plus:

segundamano

Autocasion Mallorca

Zuco May 20th 2014 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11268704)
What madridboy said, plus:

segundamano

Autocasion Mallorca

Well have looked I can´t see A 05 passat estate under 3000....so

that goes baa
ck does anyone know how I work out the import tax?

amideislas May 21st 2014 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Zuco (Post 11268753)
Well have looked I can´t see A 05 passat estate under 3000....so

that goes baa
ck does anyone know how I work out the import tax?

Perhaps, but how much are >RHD< Passats selling for? probably half that - or less. RHD isn't particularly in demand here.

Import tax - I think it depends on the class and age of the car - and also how long it's been in your name - but considering everything - paying for the technical specification, change of lights, tyres, etc... won't be cheap. I "imported" a Peugeot 206cc from Germany - total cost was over €2K. I can only imagine what they'll sock you for a RHD.

EDIT: I have been told that it's now legal to keep a UK matriculated car here with a little bureaucratic paperwork (although you can't be a tax resident at the same time), and you will be responsible for keeping MOT up to date, which you can only get in the UK. And the police have an affinity for stopping foreign plated cars, especially in the winter months out of tourist season.

I can appreciate that you'll need a vehicle right away, so I can understand why it's attractive to just bring it with you. But do the research and I think you'll find it's more economical to sell it in the UK and buy a Spanish plated LHD drive here. You only need a NIE number to put a Spanish-plated car in your name, it's relatively easy, and you'll need to get that anyway. So, perhaps it would make sense to fly down, get your NIE, buy a car, and then sell your Passat in the UK before making the permanent move. ...or if you know somebody here, maybe they could lend you/buy a klunker for you to use temporarily while you sort it. €1000 can buy you some decent wheels if only for the short-term.

Zuco May 21st 2014 7:23 am

I will be coming with the passat as I need to bring the dogs and kids stuff

I am not worried about the paperwork ...I can do it...it just working out the costing of it all

How much is the ITV now? It has been a while since I put a car thru one

what I might do is bring the car over then later maybe drive it back.. But At least I know my car whereas If i buy another second one it might be a pup

amideislas May 21st 2014 7:51 am

ITV is still cheap - about €30.

But ITV isn't the only thing you need to matriculate an "imported" car. They have to draw up a technical spec (usually by a gestor), decide what things you need changed - such as lights, tyres, etc, and after a lot of needless paperwork, ITV, insurance, taxes, then you can get your plates.

Like I said, you can legally keep it here for a while on UK plates, but the police will enjoy tormenting you. They tend not to bother during tourist season, but in the winter they'll be all over you. If you are a Spanish tax resident driving a UK matriculated car that's in your name, then unless you can prove you just drove off the ferry, then car will become state property on the spot. Bye bye.

There are plenty of resources about this on the internet - just google around.

Good luck.

Fred James May 21st 2014 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Zuco (Post 11268753)
does anyone know how I work out the import tax?

If you register it as soon as you arrive (ie within 30 days) you don't pay any registration tax.

Otherwise the tax is based on the current (depreciated) value of the car and the tax rate depends on the emissions figures.

What model/engine is it?