British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving to Madrid - where should I live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-madrid-where-should-i-live-555407/)

la_blanca Aug 15th 2008 9:47 am

Moving to Madrid - where should I live?

Hi there,

I'm moving to Madrid next month and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for a nice area to live.

My priorities are:
1. safety
2. not too far out of the city centre ie a cheap taxi ride home after a night out
3. access to green space (i like running)
4. friendly community with good amenities

Would be really grateful if you could let me know your thoughts, i'm starting to look for properties now and I'm feeling rather uncertain about it all!

Thanks very much,
Laura

Relampago Aug 15th 2008 11:53 am

Re: Moving to Madrid - where should I live?

If you like the Nature you can lives in San Lorenzo de El Escorial, or any rural population near the Sierra de Madrid, Guadarrama, Somosierra...The community of Madrid has many natural beautiful places. The city of Madrid even has many green areas (I believe that it is the 2ยบ city of the world, after Tokyo)

iant Aug 15th 2008 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by la_blanca (Post 6681821)
Hi there,

I'm moving to Madrid next month and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for a nice area to live.

My priorities are:
1. safety
2. not too far out of the city centre ie a cheap taxi ride home after a night out
3. access to green space (i like running)
4. friendly community with good amenities

Would be really grateful if you could let me know your thoughts, i'm starting to look for properties now and I'm feeling rather uncertain about it all!

Thanks very much,
Laura

It depends on your budget and how far out of the city centre you are prepared to go.
If cost is not a big factor, La Moraleja, some 14 kilometres to the north of down town Madrid is very popular with ex-pats. Plenty of scope for jogging and within easy (ten minute) taxi ride from the city.
Should you be looking for something less expensive but in the same area, Alcobendas and San Sebastian de los Reyes might be interesting. In fact, La Moraleja is officially part of the municipality of Alcobendas.
Plenty of amenities in the area as a whole.
Best of luck,
iant

marisol Aug 16th 2008 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by iant (Post 6683386)
It depends on your budget and how far out of the city centre you are prepared to go.
If cost is not a big factor, La Moraleja, some 14 kilometres to the north of down town Madrid is very popular with ex-pats. Plenty of scope for jogging and within easy (ten minute) taxi ride from the city.
Should you be looking for something less expensive but in the same area, Alcobendas and San Sebastian de los Reyes might be interesting. In fact, La Moraleja is officially part of the municipality of Alcobendas.
Plenty of amenities in the area as a whole.
Best of luck,
iant

I totally agree with iant. You also can look for something in Sanchinarro or Las Tablas. Those places, above all Sanchinarro, are very near La Moraleja, but if i had to chose, i would prefer living in Alcobendas or San Sebastian de los Reyes, and if i were rich, i would choose La Moraleja, as Iant says.
Good luck
marisol