Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Madrid and looking for work

Moving to Madrid and looking for work

Old Jan 1st 2020, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Cjclark555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Madrid and looking for work

In a couple of weeks I will be moving to Madrid (Long term) and I'm going to need to work.
Do I need to apply for a work permit as well when applying for residency, I've read around online and some comments say that companies apply for work permits for you but there are a lot of contradicting sites around so if anyone can help clarify this for me, that'll be a great help.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Madrid and looking for work

Are you a Brit? Then if so, no work permit needed (at present)
Old Jan 1st 2020, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Whats your nationality,do you speak Spanish, what is your skill set, do you have money?
Old Jan 1st 2020, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you visit official government website for 1st hand info?
Information for Foreigners
You can also call ES consulate. If you cant speak lingo, you got 0% chance of finding job.

Why do feel that you need to make life changing plans based on back-street gossip?
If you are looking for advice here, you must post very specific question with some clear details.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming the OP is from an EU country, you'll probably need to apply for a job first and, once you've got the contract, you then apply for your residency. At least that's what I did when I moved to Madrid 16 years ago. My company helped me out with the paperwork, although ultimately it was me who had to stand in long queues and hand it in.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 8:20 am
Just Joined

I am from England and native English, My Spanish is basic, I have enough to understand some conversations and offer basic replies, so maybe not enough to get a job straight away unless the job wants a native English speaker...

I have sufficient savings that more than meet the minimum requirements and I will pay for health insurance when I'm there and I'm moving to live with my girlfriend who's a Spanish native and we already have somewhere to live and she works as an English and Spanish teacher, she'll teach me more when we're together.

As skills go, I don't have a degree of any kind, mainly just work experience, mostly in sales with some management training, unfortunately the company has no base in Spain but I do have a Level 3 PT qualification as well which I have registered to be recognised in Europe.

I have a list of job sites which I search on but haven't had much luck yet.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 8:31 am
Just Joined

the link is very helpful and I have emailed myself and printed a few pages, thank you
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, with very high unemployment in Spain the OP will struggle.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Sadly, with very high unemployment in Spain the OP will struggle.
To be fair he has a Spanish girlfriend, a place to live and it is Madrid. If you have Sales experience there are jobs available for English speakers but of course another 2nd language such as French, German, Italian or Dutch would be a benefit. Biggest problem is the lack of job security and low salaries on offer, so you might have to accept that it's temp jobs with little progression. Most Spanish I know would only go back to places like Madrid or Barcelona once the mortgage is paid off, so you can avoid paying high rents.